Motherwell v Celtic 25/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

3 minutes ago, Chanzeypopz said:

At least theres a little something to take away from toay, Bevis is a good defender most games and today i think he was great 

I'm not usually his biggest fan purley for the fact he makes passing the ball 5 yards look difficult but he was probabaly our best player today

Just now, yosemite sam said:

Got to agree with the sub of Butcher. He offered absolutely nothing and is now a yard slow.His reaction time is poor for Ceptic's goal. Shouldn't be seen again.

As poor as Blaney is, he should've been brought on as a direct swap for Casey, as this would've kept Mugabi and McGinn in their positions, but bringing on Butcher was a mistake and completely changed and unsettled the defence. Hooking Devine and Gent completely unsettled both wings, which was also a mistake. I can see why Vale was subbed because he had been booted rotten. And Oli Shaw came on and offered nothing, which we all knew was what would happen. So many poor decisions led to our defeat.  

3 minutes ago, Inflato said:

No pelters from me Tex, I agreed with the changes and Butcher and Blaney were obvious / the only choices. The problem is they are genuinely terrible. Shaw is just pointless, like genuinely pointless.

Yep I was adding my tuppence worth alongside your statement. A lot of other posts raggin on SK. He’s been taking heat for not subbing in previous games so now he gets heat when does sub!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chanzeypopz said:

At least theres a little something to take away from toay, Bevis is a good defender most games and today i think he was great 

Other than one brain fart, I thought he was pretty solid in the middle of the back three today, then Kettlewell changed it, and it all went to shit. 

Another sickener but the players gave everything..

The truth is we should have gone in at half time more than 1-0 up.  2-0 would have made it a lot more difficult for Celtic and would probably have been deserved.

2nd half we came out and sat too deep and Celtic scoring in 50 minutes was always going to make it hard for us.

Players gave an enormous amount of effort but we tired and had no out ball for probably the last twenty minutes and there was a sort of inevitability when Celtic scored.

A lot of mumbling about the substitutes but they had to be made, we were out on our feet.

Hopefully we don't suffer a collapse of moral like we did last time this happened.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texanwellfan said:

He’s been taking heat for not subbing in previous games so now he gets heat when does sub!

I would say that it's about making the right subs and positional changes, which he mostly got wrong today. 

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The truth is we should have gone in at half time more than 1-0 up.  2-0 would have made it a lot more difficult for Celtic and would probably have been deserved.

2nd half we came out and sat too deep and Celtic scoring in 50 minutes was always going to make it hard for us.

Players gave an enormous amount of effort but we tired and had no out ball for probably the last twenty minutes and there was a sort of inevitability when Celtic scored.

A lot of mumbling about the substitutes but they had to be made, we were out on our feet.

Hopefully we don't suffer a collapse of moral like we did last time this happened.

We've already only won 2 in 23 league games. Is that not already a collapse? 

Just now, wellfan said:

I would say that it's about making the right subs and positional changes, which he mostly got wrong today. 

With the obvious benefit of hindsight, and assuming you accept Gent and Devine were completely done, how would you have reshaped things at the back?

Not having a pop or anything, just genuinely interested in seeing what changes others would've made 👍

1 minute ago, robsterwood said:

We've already only won 2 in 23 league games. Is that not already a collapse? 

We've not lost to anyone outside the the Top 3 since early December.

Too many draws but let's not make out like we are losing every week cos we aren't and the players are clearly trying.

• Like 1

Just now, Inflato said:

With the obvious benefit of hindsight, and assuming you accept Gent and Devine were completely done, how would you have reshaped things at the back?

Not having a pop or anything, just genuinely interested in seeing what changes others would've made 👍

Better recruitment in the first place. He's responsible for the dross he signed or kept at club 

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I thought they were generally good today, but changes were made that killed their ability to continue doing what they had been doing well. We need to play our own attacking game. Switching the defence up that much, isolating Bair, and sitting off them was a recipe for disaster. The majority of them gave their all. In the end, however, they were hamstrung by the decisions of the manager and shite subs. 

2 minutes ago, Inflato said:

As I said during the game and in a post above, Butcher should not have replaced Casey. It completely fucked the defence, and it was downhill from there with the other subs. 

Just now, wellfan said:

As I said during the game and in a post above, Butcher should not have replaced Casey. It completely fucked the defence, and it was downhill from there with the other subs. 

Who would you have replaced Casey, Devine and Gent with?

Just now, Inflato said:

Not disagreeing about recruitment, I'm talking specifically about today.

1 minute ago, Inflato said:

Not disagreeing about recruitment, I'm talking specifically about today.

I would have put on Elliot and ferrie rather than odonnel and Shaw who offer nothing.

Just now, Inflato said:

Who would you have replaced Casey, Devine and Gent with?

Read my post above. Mugabi was doing fine in the centre of the back three, as was McGinn at the right of the back three. But, to accommodate Butcher, who has been poor for a while now, both had to switch, which unsettled the defence. Blaney should've been on at that point to keep it settled, be he shit or not. The rot set in with that defensive change anyway, so the rest is ultimately inconsequential.

1 minute ago, robsterwood said:

Elliot and ferrie. Would even have put ox on instead of odonnel lol 

Fair enough, all about opinions after all... But having never seen Elliott kick a ball, I don't actually have an opinion on him. SOd does seem to be a bit of a punchbag for some, but I don't think he did anything particularly wrong today tbh.

No problem with bringing Ox on rather than Shaw though. 

Just now, robsterwood said:

You seriously happy with 2 wins in 23? 

I'd be happier with 3 or 4.

Most weeks we are competing against teams with bigger budgets, in some cases much bigger budgets, but I think the general effort and application is OK.

BTW, 

Aberdeen have 1 win in 9.

Hibs have 1 win in 9.

Livingston have 1 win in 19.

Ross County have 1 win in 11.

St. Johnstone have 1 win in 10.

Know why?  Cos there is so many draws in this league.

• Like 3