Our Fans

Kmcalpin

Every so often a post appears somewhere that grabs your attention and stands out from the morass. I've just read one such one on P & B.

Of late, there's been a lot of criticsm by some posters on P & B of our fanbase.  I'll park that. However yesterday AnderooMFC posted the following:

"Football crowds allow a release of the pent-up emotions and frustrations of everyday life, even the negative emotions. That scapegoat is a temporary stand-in for every asshole customer/boss/partner/child/parent/authority figure/system/patriarchy/nameless horror that they are not allowed or unable to express frustration at from Saturday 5pm-next Saturday at 2.59. So come 3pm kick-off there's a lot to be vented. Holding it in is not good for your health. We exist to improve people's lives. Even moaning-faced twunts."

That sums it up perfectly. Well done sir/madam.

Football is an emotional game and a safety valve for many

47 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Every so often a post appears somewhere that grabs your attention and stands out from the morass. I've just read one such one on P & B.

Of late, there's been a lot of criticsm by some posters on P & B of our fanbase.  I'll park that. However yesterday AnderooMFC posted the following:

"Football crowds allow a release of the pent-up emotions and frustrations of everyday life, even the negative emotions. That scapegoat is a temporary stand-in for every asshole customer/boss/partner/child/parent/authority figure/system/patriarchy/nameless horror that they are not allowed or unable to express frustration at from Saturday 5pm-next Saturday at 2.59. So come 3pm kick-off there's a lot to be vented. Holding it in is not good for your health. We exist to improve people's lives. Even moaning-faced twunts."

... so the professional players, doing their job on the pitch, deserve/should be OK with being on the receiving end of all of that pent up rage?

As much as I agree with the sentiment (I lose my shit a fair bit at games, as we all do I guess) surely there's a line that needs careful consideration and we need to remember that the people on the pitch are every bit as human/vulnerable as we are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I read that as well, and its a fair enough point.

Does it extend to message boards?

I will certainly try my best to consider that before responding to posts in the future.

1 hour ago, StAndrew7 said:

... so the professional players, doing their job on the pitch, deserve/should be OK with being on the receiving end of all of that pent up rage?

As much as I agree with the sentiment (I lose my shit a fair bit at games, as we all do I guess) surely there's a line that needs careful consideration and we need to remember that the people on the pitch are every bit as human/vulnerable as we are.

Absolutely. There's criticism and there's abuse. It's a fine line to tread. Downright abuse isn't acceptable. Footballers though aren't totally blameless. Quite a few behave in such a way that if they did so in the same way off the the pitch they'd be arrested and charged. Its about rough and tumble banter but with respect. 

35 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I read that as well, and its a fair enough point.

Does it extend to message boards?

I will certainly try my best to consider that before responding to posts in the future.

I would say it doesn't apply to messageboards, although the principle of respect certainly should. Shouting at a game tends to be more spur of the moment and impetuous, although there are exceptions. Posting on a message board is more of a detached, measured and thought out process. Again there are exceptions for example in terms  of personal and abusive posts. Robust debate is fine but abuse is not. The term "troll" is much misunderstood and misused though. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Absolutely. There's criticism and there's abuse. It's a fine line to tread. Downright abuse isn't acceptable. Footballers though aren't totally blameless. Quite a few behave in such a way that if they did so in the same way off the the pitch they'd be arrested and charged. Its about rough and tumble banter but with respect. 

Some footballers, yes.

Bair and SODs have probably had the worst of it from our support this season in my experience; they're model citizens on and off the park. Georgie Gent another one. The kid's what, 19/20? How does he warrant the abuse and vitriol he's had at points.

People had made up their mind about Bair before he'd kicked a ball and based on what, exactly? In depth analysis of his time at St Johnstone, watching every minute he'd played? Nah. They saw an easy target and went for him.

1 minute ago, StAndrew7 said:

Some footballers, yes.

Bair and SODs have probably had the worst of it from our support this season in my experience; they're model citizens on and off the park. Georgie Gent another one. The kid's what, 19/20? How does he warrant the abuse and vitriol he's had at points.

People had made up their mind about Bair before he'd kicked a ball and based on what, exactly? In depth analysis of his time at St Johnstone, watching every minute he'd played? Nah. They saw an easy target and went for him.

SOD has had it for a couple of seasons in my view 

• Like 1

Halliday now seems to be top of list for abuse. Will fall on deaf ears but you may find the more encouragement he gets the less mistakes he will make.

All clubs are the same and always have a scapegoat but I am only interested in our support.....COYW

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don’t think I agree. I think that’s just an excuse for people to act like bellends. 

the loudest most annoying fans in my opinion are big attention seeking tosspots with a massive opinion of themselves.
I know quite a few.
They are annoying mostly every day never mind a Saturday.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mio said:

I don’t think I agree. I think that’s just an excuse for people to act like bellends.

100%

It's a chance for usually grown adult men to act in a manner they never would be allowed to outside a stadium. I think it's more a reflection on them than anything else.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Everything I hate about football in one post. The pie and bov post. Just no. I've been through stuff in my personal life over the last few years that I would not wish on another person. Ever. I don't go to Fir Park and boo players to try and make me feel better. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

No one in the spl would be arrested and charged for anything they do on the pitch. Even a horrible tackle won't get someone arrested. And I seriously think no one should be apportioning blame. If we have a section of fans who are over the top and the justification is that footballers aren't blameless? Where do you draw the line? I don't rock up to Fir Park targeting players just because. One. I'm an adult and two I have better things to do with my time. 

There are players who have been booed coming on to the pitch. SOD. Bair. Do these people who do that think it's going to make them play better? 

In my younger days I certainly vented at the ref - a lot.  Probably made me feel better, none of us like losing but being a Well supporter - well we lost a fair percentage of games. 

It was more the manager who used to get dogs abuse - during Mcleans games he'd get pelters. 

I can also remember Kirk getting abuse from our terrace and vividly remember his response when he stuck the ball in the net, his gesture back to said fans (in a get it right up you manner ) was a moment of pure joy. 

All in all most fans are well intended but can get incredibly frustrated.   Back in the day I think more of it got lost as there were a lot more fans in FP to drown out the nonsense. 

Bring back the masses

3 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

In my younger days I certainly vented at the ref - a lot.  Probably made me feel better, none of us like losing but being a Well supporter - well we lost a fair percentage of games. 

It was more the manager who used to get dogs abuse - during Mcleans games he'd get pelters. 

I can also remember Kirk getting abuse from our terrace and vividly remember his response when he stuck the ball in the net, his gesture back to said fans (in a get it right up you manner ) was a moment of pure joy. 

All in all most fans are well intended but can get incredibly frustrated.   Back in the day I think more of it got lost as there were a lot more fans in FP to drown out the nonsense. 

Bring back the masses

Venting at the ref is completely normal. Kirk was an amazing player for us. However I personally don't recall players getting booed coming on back in the day. I do think it's got worse over the years. The last few seasons have just been madness. 

51 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I don't go to Fir Park and boo players to try and make me feel better. 

That's not how it works. Yes, there are a few fans who go along and spout constant abuse. I'm not referring to those. I doubt there are many who go along with the premeditated intention of mouthing off to make themselves feel better. As the original poster wrote, for some it's a way of relieving the pressure of everyday lives. As you'll know very well, people handle such situations very differently. Everyone is an individual. 

I'm not saying it's right, just that it's a fact of life. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

No one in the spl would be arrested and charged for anything they do on the pitch. Even a horrible tackle won't get someone arrested. And I seriously think no one should be apportioning blame.

Of course. Football is is a physical contact sport and injuries and emotions are only to be expected. However, some players go into challenges with the express intention of harming and injuring an opponent, sometimes under instruction from a manager. I do apportion blame for that kind of incident. 

Just now, Kmcalpin said:

That's not how it works. Yes, there are a few fans who go along and spout constant abuse. I'm not referring to those. I doubt there are many who go along with the premeditated intention of mouthing off to make themselves feel better. As the original poster wrote, for some it's a way of relieving the pressure of everyday lives. As you'll know very well, people handle such situations very differently. Everyone is an individual. 

I'm not saying it's right, just that it's a fact of life. 

Not buying that crap that poster posted. Suggesting that fans go to Fir Park and shout at players rather than take their negativity out on people who work in shops (who probably get more than enough abuse as it is). 

That post was riddled with red flags for me. If someone has to go to a football game to shout at players to relieve stress in their own life they need to have a huge stare into their own void as far as I'm concerned. Calling players scapegoats? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Kmcalpin said:

Of course. Football is is a physical contact sport and injuries and emotions are only to be expected. However, some players go into challenges with the express intention of harming and injuring an opponent, sometimes under instruction from a manager. I do apportion blame for that kind of incident. 

I get your point but that still doesn't make it a crime in the eyes of the law. I personally don't condone anyone being deliberately injured by another player 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I get your point but that still doesn't make it a crime in the eyes of the law. I personally don't condone anyone being deliberately injured by another player 

Agreed. 

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

As I say, I don't say that it's right but it's a fact. It's OK to disagree and we'll do that. 

It's completely fine to disagree. Ive no issues with that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes, there are a few fans who go along and spout constant abuse.

Abuse, constant or otherwise, shouldn't be condoned. 

Of course, we shouldn't expect fans to just sit there and applaud politely. It's an emotional sport, and fans make it what it is, but there's a line that shouldn't be crossed, and for me, that line is asking myself, "Would I be happy to see a 19- or 20-year-old in my family treated that way by an adult?"

Basically, if it's something someone would get into trouble for saying outside the confines of a football stadium, or something they wouldn't say to another guy in a different setting, it probably shouldn't be said at all.

Voice frustration, anger, elation, whatever. But buying a ticket for a game doesn't come with the right to be a tosspot. Luckily, most people aren't like that. But the few who are should be ejected from stadiums and told to spend their weekends doing something else.

15 hours ago, wellgirl said:

actually you are wrong, however good luck trying to find a Procurator Fiscal who will take a case on. Usually confined to Old Firm games that boil over. Duncan Ferguson? Chris Kamara?

https://crime.scot/assault/

33 minutes ago, Well Well said:

actually you are wrong, however good luck trying to find a Procurator Fiscal who will take a case on. Usually confined to Old Firm games that boil over. Duncan Ferguson? Chris Kamara?

https://crime.scot/assault/

It does say intent is the issue -and I was going to say that before I Googled the link you put up. So yeah. What I posted earlier wasn't correct in response to the poster talking about players being deliberately harmed by another player - but how do you prove intent? When was the last time someone in the SPL was deliberately injured by another player on the field?