In's And Out's

AndyRoss

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best suited to centre half I believe.

After a sticky start with Man United reserves he went on to impress Solskjaer in the last few months of the season, resulting in his debut against Hull and earning a 1 year contract.

By all accounts he is a natural athlete possessing strength and pace but is pretty raw with the ball at his feet.

Could maybe do a job for us.

GANNON EXPECTS WELL IMPROVEMENT

Motherwell manager Jim Gannon expects a vastly improved display from his players after devising a tactical plan to break down Europa League opponents Flamurtari.

Gannon's men fell to a 1-0 defeat in the 38 degrees Celsius heat in Albania last week to give them a difficult task for the second leg of the second qualifying round.

But there was little between the sides and John Sutton had a goal controversially disallowed.

Motherwell beat Llanelli 3-0 following an identical defeat in the previous round and Gannon believes his players are gearing up well for an attacking onslaught.

"I'm really pleased with what we have been able to achieve this week," Gannon said.

"I think as we showed in the last round there was a massive difference in our approach and the way we played from one game to the other.

"We went a little bit into the unknown when we went to Albania. Now we know all about them, we have got the video analysed, we have broken it down and prepared ourselves really well.

"We expect a vastly improved performance. They set out in a certain way and it worked really well for them and we have to be mindful of that, but the onus is on us to go and get the goals to win the game."

Former Tranmere midfielder Steve Jennings and ex-Shrewsbury winger Chris Humphrey are in line to make their debuts at Airdrie.

"Steven had a slight rib problem from last week's training but he has got a good 10-12 days under his belt," Gannon said.

"Chris is in fantastic shape and comes into my thoughts because we are going to need all the attacking options across the midfield and front line.

"It's not going to be just about the 11 who start - all 14 players are going to play a big part in this tactical challenge."

Gannon yesterday recruited his third signing but Giles Coke's switch from Northampton proved controversial.

The Cobblers announced they would take "professional advice" as they claimed the 23-year-old midfielder's agent had agreed a contract offer.

Shrewsbury manager Paul Simpson last week criticised 21-year-old Humphrey's "underhand" move but Gannon is sure Motherwell have done nothing wrong.

"I think in both situations, the players were made offers of re-engagement but when you are talking about international transfers you are talking about slightly different rules," he said.

"They may well have done everything by the book in terms of the English rules but UEFA rules and FIFA rules are different.

"Giles was 23 and out of contract, so he was entitled to move cross-border.

"Chris wasn't informed in the correct regulation time of the renewal of his contract and therefore became available on a free transfer."

Gannon is expected to add further to his squad by the end of the week in order to have more players available for a potential third qualifying round clash.

The Steelmen are likely to face Steaua Bucharest, who hold a 2-0 advantage over Hungarian side Ujpest.

"I would like to see three or four more players coming in," Gannon said.

"I talked about five to six players previously but I think it's going to take more than that.

"I would like to have a stronger, wider squad and a well-balanced squad.

"I think we will be looking at a couple more permanents and I'm hopeful of securing some loan players.

"I'm hopeful that will happen over the next 48 hours so if we were to progress, we would have them registered in time for the Steaua Bucharest match."

Interesting times ahead :D

If we 'Sign' 3 more players, i.e. OUR players and hopefully on longer contracts than Jennings and Coke (still can't get away wi his name!) then one needs to be a Striker and one a Centre Half. We need to start Asset building. Of 4 signings so far only one can be considered an asset to the club. We need to get in players attached to the club in these key positions. A 'signed up' Number 1 goalie wouldn't go amiss either.

If we get the 4 loan players he is chatting about basically 1 in each position would be as good a way as any to do it. One defender (versatile - Man U boy perhaps) One other type of Striker - so if he signs a Target Man then get a mobile McCormack type on loan or vice-versa. And what else?

Jeez we really are spoiled this year!!

I have on the wish list:

Striker - Signed long term.

Centre Half - Signed Long term.

Goalie - Signed Long term.

Versatile Defender/Right Back - Loan.

Forward - Loan.

That would do me to be honest!

If there is one kicking about I suppose a left winger would do on loan too!!

There, that is six signings to come!! Fucking beauty!!

These truly are exciting times, especially looking back to the first couple of weeks in June when MMG did precisely fuck all before leaving us!

One of the things that impressed me was Gannons statment that we had done nothing wrong. Cross border seems to have the knowledge and from the players own words is an attractive manager for players to play for from down south. Am also encouraged to see he has a tactical approach to the game on Thursday and is eager for the team to play that way.

Obviously only time will tell but encouraging words none the less. Particularly when he is on about the 48hours seems to have learned the lesson fom last time about registering players with UEFA.

a goalie (though it might just be a confidence thing) and a forward are essential. We have the players at the back in numbers but could do with a couple more to cover injuries. Boy from Man utd looks good on the Sky write up. Positive times

Now all we have to do is beat these albanians.

Mon the well.

Thing that struck me about our signings thus far is that they're all relatively young. Very early on, Gannon made it clear he was looking for experienced players so as he didn't have to rely on kids. I know it's all relative and the guys we have signed have a lot more games under their belt than the likes of Slane and Forbes, but it's hardly seasoned professionals we're bringing in.

Which leads me to a question. Do we need more experience? We have Craigan, Lasley, Hammell and Sutton who all have years of experience. McGarry and Fitzpatrick (though they wouldn't be my first choices) have also played a fair number of games. Even Reynolds, our less experienced centre back, has played over 100 SPL games. As I say, a genuine question, does anyone think we need any more experienced players? Or are we going the right way about it by looking at younger, hungrier guys...?

Which leads me to a question. Do we need more experience? We have Craigan, Lasley, Hammell and Sutton who all have years of experience. McGarry and Fitzpatrick

aye imo sutton, fitzy and mcgarry aren't good enough to be first XI players which leaves all our experience in defence.

I've been really impressed by Gannon so far, from the way he conducts his business to the young ambitious hungry players he have signed who CLEARLY want to play for him.

Its been the best pre-season so far and its refreshing seeing a manager doing the right things and not just talking a lot of baloni.

Think we could do with a wee bit of experience and hence think thats why we will keep a hold of lasley despite all the new midfielders. Up front at the moment is sutton archdeacon and mchugh. Still not sure that Mcgarry is a forward, so think we could do with some experience there.

Think we could do with a wee bit of experience and hence think thats why we will keep a hold of lasley despite all the new midfielders. Up front at the moment is sutton archdeacon and mchugh. Still not sure that Mcgarry is a forward, so think we could do with some experience there.

You forgot about Murphy. That said I think we now have a fair selection in midfield and we need to turn out attention to signing a GoalKeeper, Strikers x 2/3, a right back and possibly a dominant central defender. Still 4 or 5 to come in hopefully.

An predator with a track record down south would be amazing. But the big thing down there is Simeon Jackson who Gillingham rate at £1.5M Unfouranetly i think we got lucky with this once and that was big Porter.

I like the look of Gannon getting a few Premiership kids, hopefully he can develop some useful contacts that he can use and that arent German.