Team For First Day Of Next Season?

Malky79

Because that's what Motherwell fans do.

He has been judged, and deemed not good enough and therefore will not be given a fair crack of the whip with every mistake/slight error seized upon with howls of derision from the stands.

The rumours in Belfast are that we are still signing the Linfield keeper. He's definately off somewhere as they have their replacement lined up.

Two keepers though when we are skint and havent went down that route under McGhee and it would mean Fraser is moving hours down the road for a change of bench ? Doubt it.

Unfotunately few of the above combinations fill me with excitement suggesting that next season may be a struggle.

Craigan has been a great servant to the club but I think we are seeing signs that he is now over the hill (injuries, lack of pace). If only we could put combine his brain with Mark Reynolds pace. We need to sign a Central Defender.

I would be delighted if we kept Hughes. Unlike many on here I am not convinced by Klimpl. He gets booked too often and gives away too many fouls in danger positions. I also don't feel that he is that skillful however he is probably good enough to keep.

Clarkson up front is not good enough to be the main goal threat. He makes a good number 2 up front i.e Porter, Clarkson but he needs to be playing with somebody better.

Given that money is tight and Smith, Hughes stay, the best I would hope for is

----------Smith-------------

Quinn----CD----(Reynolds or McLean)---- Hammell

O Brien----Hughes----Klimpl----Lappin (wishful thinking)

---------Clarkson----CF (to replace Porter)

This is harsh on Craigan but I just get the feeling we will see less and less of him.

I'd love to see us line up something like

---------------------Fraser---------------------------

-------- McLean----Craigan----Reynolds

Quinn -------------------------------------Hammell

---------------------Lasley--------------------------

O Brien -------------------------------------New LM

---------------Sutton----------Clarkson------------

Think that would be a decent line up, allowing our full backs to attack whilst keeping a solid back line, with Reynolds playing closer to left back, allowing cover for his mistakes with two more solid centre halves alongside him.

Couldn't have put it better myself...

I'd love to see us line up something like

---------------------Fraser---------------------------

-------- McLean----Craigan----Reynolds

Quinn -------------------------------------Hammell

---------------------Lasley--------------------------

O Brien -------------------------------------New LM

---------------Sutton----------Clarkson------------

I think that side would be involved in a relegation dogfight Neil. We might be solid at the back, but there's no substance to the midfield, and we'd be overrun in the centre. Little firepower up front, as we've seen of late. The front two might even have even less ammunition than at present.

I think I'lll wait and see the comings and goings first before forming a conclusion.

Why are people writing of Michael Fraser before he's even worn our training top never mind our strip?

Michael Fraser whilst a good keeper hasn't been bought solely to replace Smith. While Graeme Smith is a great keeper there is no pressure on him to perform well when we have loan moves as the only other option. McGhee has apparently changed his mind on permanant reserve goalkeepers. Signing a new keeper will increase competition and will keep both on their toes. Meldrum didn't wanna have to potentially sign 2 new keepers this summer so made "back up" plans. If Smith does decide to stay then great and he'll be number one with a good deputy.

To be honest I don't think anyone can make any real call into who'll be our first choice keeper next year unless Smith re-signs or we wait to see what other keeper we sign.

IMHO I think the McGhhee message about who's up for next season should have been the main message in the weekly 'well newsletter.

See that type of uncommitted - "what will be will be" / "I'm waiting for an offer from elsewhere so I won't say I'm away just yet" interview with Smith that headed the newsletter - that's the type of thing that does my box right in. He's already had an interview like that printed so - f**k him. Print an interview with someone who wants to stay and is ready to set the expectation for next year.

Are you in or are you out Buzz? (I think he's out). If the answers hum and haw then I'm afraid the decision should be made for him.

Cheerio son, thanks for your efforts, particularly in France. But the club moves on!

Smith undecided over future 1199341.jpgGraeme Smith admits he doesn’t know where his future lies following Motherwell’s failure to make the top-six.

The goalkeeper is out of contract in the summer although he has been offered an extension at Fir Park.

Hibs have expressed an interest in the 25-year-old but he remains undecided and simply wants to focus on the final five games of the season instead.

“I’ve got five games before my deal is up and we’re still plugging away trying to sort the future out,” he said.

“What will be, will be. Just because we’re in the bottom six it’s not going to have any bearing on what I’m going to do.

“Is there a chance I’ll still be here next season? You never rule anything out in football. But right now I don’t know where my future lies.

“For the moment all I’m focused on is what the manager said after the game on Saturday. He told us there would be changes next year and he needs to assess his squad.

“He wants us to win the last five games and said if we don’t approach them in the right manner our futures will be in doubt. He made that clear to the boys.

“We’ll probably be the only team who are safe in the bottom six, but we’ve a responsibility not just to the other teams but ourselves too, to play well and that was the message he put across to us. He was disappointed not to be in the top six, but we’re not happy either."

IMHO I think the McGhhee message about who's up for next season should have been the main message in the weekly 'well newsletter.

See that type of uncommitted - "what will be will be" / "I'm waiting for an offer from elsewhere so I won't say I'm away just yet" interview with Smith that headed the newsletter - that's the type of thing that does my box right in......Are you in or are you out Buzz? (I think he's out). If the answers hum and haw then I'm afraid the decision should be made for him.

I'm with you on that Steve. He's quite entitled to hedge his bets and I understand that. By the same token though Mark McGhee has a new season to plan for and would be quite entitled to withdraw the contract offer.

As others have said he's a good shot stopper but has weaknesses in other parts of his game which have caused us problems this season. St Mirren's first goal last Saturday was by no means all his fault but he was flapping about helplessly and he was badly caught out for their second.

If he can do better elsewhere then good luck to him but MFC should now move on.

I agree with andybug S Saunders has to get a shot before the end of the season he is at the moment the outstanding prospect at Fir Park.I would also like to see if there is anyone who can come in at centre back C Murray, what happened to this Jonathon Page?

Yep that's how we found all our gems in the past - Throw them in!

I'm with you on that Steve. He's quite entitled to hedge his bets and I understand that. By the same token though Mark McGhee has a new season to plan for and would be quite entitled to withdraw the contract offer.

As others have said he's a good shot stopper but has weaknesses in other parts of his game which have caused us problems this season. St Mirren's first goal last Saturday was by no means all his fault but he was flapping about helplessly and he was badly caught out for their second.

If he can do better elsewhere then good luck to him but MFC should now move on.

Cheers - Like you say - he's perfectly entitled to move.

But on the quiet - We've got several players who are sure they want to wear that claret and amber jersey (hopefully with a hoop). lets give one of them top billing on our web page / email newsletter.

Untill he's made up his mind I'd give the big yin gardening leave. Put meldrum in goal. :lol:

Cheers - Like you say - he's perfectly entitled to move.

But on the quiet - We've got several players who are sure they want to wear that claret and amber jersey (hopefully with a hoop). lets give one of them top billing on our web page / email newsletter.

Untill he's made up his mind I'd give the big yin gardening leave. Put meldrum in goal. :lol:

From what I could see at the training last friday, we have options in Goal, both of the Polish guys look good, the younger one looked very sharp.