Get A Grip

Busta Nut

I've been on the rollercoaster ride for over 40 years, experiencing some major lows, ( 0-6 at Morton and 0-8 at Aberdeen a short time later), and some major highs, (Hampden '91, Dortmund, Nancy, etc.,), and my major gripe for this season is the seemingly gutless manner in which we lay down and capitulated very important matches; Europe, League Cup, Scottish Cup and last Saturday's St Mirren game to name but a few.

Yes the team did well to recover from a bad phase, but Saturday was a major major let down with a Top-6 place there for the taking in a one-off fixture....

Very well summed up Special. I can live with finishing in 7th spot but its the manner in which we've failed this season thats hard to take. This season we've bottled virtually every crunch game. Its not just that we've lost or drawn them but they've been characterised by bizarre, and IMHO needless, team selections/tactics. In quite a few of these games we've exerted loads of pressure but failed to turn them into chances or goals. In others there's been a distinct lack of fight. I've got the feeling that we were punching below our weight this season.

It does feel that a window of oppurtunity has passed as by and may now be followed by a season or two of transition. The game on Saturday seemed to sum up our season. Plenty of pressure and a lot of the ball but far too often we fail to work the opposition goalkeeper enough.

As regads next season I don't see the need to be overly pessimistis as the other clubs will lose players too. We only just fell short in a number of games so even a marginal or indeed no improvement at all may be good enough next season.

I don't subscribe to this idea of support the team at all cost and keep your mouth shut. It's seems to me that when people aim high (including Mark McGhee) they get shot down for being unrealistic. Having high expectations is not a crime.

MFC are a professional club and charge professional prices to their fans to go and watch. Those fans have a right to expect entertainment and ambition from the club for their money. Finishing 11th every season doesn't do it for me and I don't need to feel ashamed about saying it.

Saturday was a huge game for our club, and the players did not perform. That people have vented their frustrations is no crime. I have not read any resign McGhee posts on here, just a slighty misleading thread heading.

I am gutted that we did not finish top 6. We should have. I want us to finish top six next year and will be equally frustrated if we go back still further. If the quality of football is awful next year I will not feel guilty about spending my money on other things. Still a Well fan though, just like everyone else. Always will be!

Aw that John Robertson, I thought you meant the chain smoking good player one that played wi' Forest. :lol:

He's a wee wank, widnae trust anything he says if he's still claiming he didnae handle that handball goal.

He's here with me just now and has admitted he did use his hand, his version is that a Motherwell defender, possibly Softy, pushed him in the box and as he was falling he swung his arm at the ball, it went in and he couldn't believe the referee gave the goal. He thinks it's hilarious that we are still talking about it.

Naw he didnae they were all miles offside I remember them. Anyway he should be chuffed, we still go on about Donald Ford scoring in injury time to deprive us of the Texaco Cup in the early 70s.

Edit aye it wis Ford, stoppage time in the 2nd leg of the semi-final, wee Robbo wid know al about that kind of heartbreak right enough :lol:

Naw he didnae they were all miles offside I remember them. Anyway he should be chuffed, we still go on about Donald Ford scoring in injury time to deprive us of the Texaco Cup in the early 70s.

Edit aye it wis Ford, stoppage time in the 2nd leg of the semi-final, wee Robbo wid know al about that kind of heartbreak right enough :lol:

Aye I, mentioned 86 and he nearly started greetin.

I'm so glad we never ever had a silver away shirt.

Aye Poor Hearts

Unless. . . . . . you actually went to the games where the durty cheatin swines kicked everything above grass level (in the days when we had grass) and bundled the ball over the line through any means possible.

Albert Kidd - what a guy!

0105h6.jpg

2054.jpg

Can anyone remember this ??

He's just told me about a game where Kirky whilst running down the wing past the linesman, with Walter Kidd in close attendance, slapped his own thigh, making a loud slapping noise then held his face as if Kidd had hit him. Kidd got sent off.

Can anyone remember this ??

He's just told me about a game where Kirky whilst running down the wing past the linesman, with Walter Kidd in close attendance, slapped his own thigh, making a loud slapping noise then held his face as if Kidd had hit him. Kidd got sent off.

I don't quite follow that :lol:

I remember Kirkie also getting one over Kidd when we played Airdrie at Broomfield in the first derby after they came up in 1992. There was much tearing out of grey hair from hacking old Jambo git after we won a late penalty thanks to a challenge on Kirk by Kidd.

And even if he did get Kidd sent off. It would still be a mere fraction of the amount of times we were done over by Hearts in that period.

Pretty much every game went to script for them. They weren't a bad team to be fair when they played football but the likes of Kidd, Whittaker, Berry, Black, Foster, McPherson, Sandison and Levein to name but a few would aggrivate, niggle, scratch, bite and pull to the point that we would completely forget to play football and try to go toe-to-toe with them. We never stood a chance against that shower and got suckered all the time.

Also remember Robertson himself making big headlines about getting threatened at Fir Park also, then quietly retracting the statement a few days later, painting us as the bad lot. Entirely typical of Hearts in the Alex McDonald era.

Just who do some of you think you support?

We've mostly struggled with Mid table wilderness/relegation since 1985 and one good season last year and we think we're AC Milan. We're miles away from relegation which is a success i reckon.

At the start of every season I hope we'll be 11th or higher. top six is a good season, anything else (last year) is a miracle.

Some people are so out of touch it's unreal. Threads about McGhee Going and the people who some posters honestly believe we have a hope in hell of signing are hilarious!

Not going to the last five games is stupid too, Unless its financial or you have another genuine reason for not going then why did you bother coming from the start? did you really expect some trophies or something?

get it sorted and get behind the team, I detest the happy clappy shit some folk give out but I'm no boo boy.

So get yerselfs along to Fir Park on the 2 last occasions before it's not up to you if you can go (cos there'll be fuck all on) and if you usually do get along to the away games!

'mon the 'well!

One of the best posts on this forum. Well said busta !!!

He's here with me just now and has admitted he did use his hand, his version is that a Motherwell defender, possibly Softy, pushed him in the box and as he was falling he swung his arm at the ball, it went in and he couldn't believe the referee gave the goal. He thinks it's hilarious that we are still talking about it.

walked into work the following Monday (Bank of Scotland IT centre at Sighthill, Edinburgh), in a full Motherwell strip and scarf and tammy, and visited every Jambohun bannister who'd given me stick over the years on-route to my desk.

Did the same after the 3-1 Cup tie in 1999. :O What about the Hearts ? FHW :)