Clarky - 250 Up!

Guest 'Flow

Guest 'Flow

Yesterday's penalty goal for Clarky came in his 250th appearance for the Steelmen.

Pretty incredible total given he's just 23....

Well in DC :whistling:

'Flow

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really shows how poor a squad we have.

Really have to disagree here.

I think it proves how good the youth development system is at Fir Park. Clarkson has worked his way up and done extremely well for himself as well as the club in the process. He deserves to be in the first team and has shown a huge amount of dedication and spirit, when sometimes it seems others on the park haven't.

A fantastic achievement, especially considering his age and here's hoping he has many more games in Claret and Amber! :unsure:

I have him on 298....

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/players/player.php?id=3

Would be interested to compare to see where our discrepancy is?

'Flow

I've checked it out. 298 is the correct total.

I had league totals of 37+1, 37+1, 37 instead of 37+1, 37, 37 for seasons 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-4 on my spreadsheet.

Just a typing error on my part so you can put off buying the cake for another week! :unsure:

Well done D.C loyalty is a rare thing in football today.

I agree with both sentiments here, i.e well done DC and loyalty is rare in football, however I have to say that while Clarky may well have loyalties to us, I dont for one second believe he'd still be here if he was offered anything like the contracts given to Rossco and Porter in the championship.

Loyalty is a good thing, but dont mistake it for not being good enough to make the step up.

Before Im jumped on here, i am and always have been a DC fan, I just can't see him playing at a higher level than Motherwell, with the arguable exception of Scotland friendlies.

I agree with both sentiments here, i.e well done DC and loyalty is rare in football, however I have to say that while Clarky may well have loyalties to us, I dont for one second believe he'd still be here if he was offered anything like the contracts given to Rossco and Porter in the championship.

Loyalty is a good thing, but dont mistake it for not being good enough to make the step up.

Before Im jumped on here, i am and always have been a DC fan, I just can't see him playing at a higher level than Motherwell, with the arguable exception of Scotland friendlies.

You hit the spot! That wont be happening in a 100 years and actually have to agree with Megastar!

As much as this might be a good thing, its incredible he has this amount of matches, considering his poor run of form for about 2,5 years!

So, of course: Well done, but I am shocked.

I reckon hes gonna be our very own Ryan Giggs! Can't see him playin for anyone else

I am not sure, if David Clarkson and Ryan Giggs in one sentence is a good fit...

As much as this might be a good thing, its incredible he has this amount of matches, considering his poor run of form for about 2,5 years!

yeh, but he's now had 2 reasonably good season, another 6 months and there will be offers in January no doubt.

I actually thought Clarkson's play had been pretty poor for the first half of this season. But even given that he's chipped in the goals. I love the guy, and I fear for us next season if he's not in Claret and Amber. He's the one guy in our team that you know will run through a brick wall for Motherwell. Sometimes this season he's tried too hard, to do too much. If you don't believe he's the main threat in our team, watch who the opposition choose to boot up the air at every opportunity, the next time we play...

yeh, but he's now had 2 reasonably good season, another 6 months and there will be offers in January no doubt.

If someone comes in for more than 150k I personally would drive him, to wherever he signes for...

Where has he been since Porter left??? 3 Goals in 9 Games since end of January?!?!

Where has he been since Porter left??? 3 Goals in 9 Games since end of January?!?!

Aye, cos 1 in 3 is a terrible ratio for a Motherwell striker. As Tweed pointed out in another thread, we don't exactly create much for our forwards. And without even thinking, he was pivotal in the build up for O'Brien's goal recently. I'm sure if you look at the other goals we've scored, he'll be in and about most of them...

Aye, cos 1 in 3 is a terrible ratio for a Motherwell striker. As Tweed pointed out in another thread, we don't exactly create much for our forwards. And without even thinking, he was pivotal in the build up for O'Brien's goal recently. I'm sure if you look at the other goals we've scored, he'll be in and about most of them...

... as you should as a striker!

I still dont think he has got anything special. I know, most people disagree, but thats my opinion. He has got nothing, what an ordinary player in lower leagues has, apart from gotten through the Motherwell Ranks. I do appriciate what he has done so far, but that doesnt change my opinion on him. A very, very ordinary player.

Guest 'Flow

In terms of goal scoring alone, I'd say this was his third! If he can bag another two it would be the third time from seven seasons that he has bagged 13 goals!

He's currently on 52 goals from 186 starts which isn't too shabby for a Motherwell forward!

'Flow

... as you should as a striker!

I still dont think he has got anything special. I know, most people disagree, but thats my opinion. He has got nothing, what an ordinary player in lower leagues has, apart from gotten through the Motherwell Ranks. I do appriciate what he has done so far, but that doesnt change my opinion on him. A very, very ordinary player.

I accept your opinion on Clarkson but that particular line to me is just nonsense. If simply getting through the Motherwell ranks is the benchmark you appear to be setting then why when Clarkson has become a Scotland internationalist and clocked up 250 top flight games in your early twenties then why is Kevin MacDonald playing junior, Kenny Wright playing for Elgin, why is Willie Kinniburgh at Thistle, why did Dougie Ramsay end up at Stranraer, Jamie Ewings at Albion Rovers to name but a few that were in Clarkson's era in the youths and reserves.

Was it a different set of Motherwell ranks these guys came through?

I repeat that to suggest that Clarkson has only got to where he is today simply because he got through the Motherwell ranks is just nonsense.

I accept your opinion on Clarkson but that particular line to me is just nonsense. If simply getting through the Motherwell ranks is the benchmark you appear to be setting then why when Clarkson has become a Scotland internationalist and clocked up 250 top flight games in your early twenties then why is Kevin MacDonald playing junior, Kenny Wright playing for Elgin, why is Willie Kinniburgh at Thistle, why did Dougie Ramsay end up at Stranraer, Jamie Ewings at Albion Rovers to name but a few that were in Clarkson's era in the youths and reserves.

Was it a different set of Motherwell ranks these guys came through?

I repeat that to suggest that Clarkson has only got to where he is today simply because he got through the Motherwell ranks is just nonsense.

Ok, I think I know what you mean. Yes, its a great achievement he manged his way so far, esp considering the other players and see where they end up. You are right on this one.

The reason why he is still around is imho the fact that he came in a scored, which was terrific at that time and he came through the Well youth. Apart from that, Motehrwell never really had anyone else to play upfront in the 2nd string, did they? Everyone was hoping for him to find his form again. He scored a nice sum of goals this season but that still doesnt make me think he is as good as people make him.

I sometimes have the feeling, people do wear kind of "'Well Glasses" when they see DC. That player in another team, would be insulted esp from some people in this board.

The fact he's only scored one gaol fewer than Steven Fletcher and two more than Lee Miller, guys who get raved about in the media, tells me he's a more than decent SPL striker. The fact that he genuinely seems to love playing for Motherwell probably means he gets an easier ride or more praise from some of us. As it's always been for guys who give 100% for Well...

The fact he's only scored one gaol fewer than Steven Fletcher and two more than Lee Miller, guys who get raved about in the media, tells me he's a more than decent SPL striker. The fact that he genuinely seems to love playing for Motherwell probably means he gets an easier ride or more praise from some of us. As it's always been for guys who give 100% for Well...

Well for Scoring goals he is up there, for actually footballing Skills he is miles, may I say Lightyears away from Fletcher or Miller. Miller is not as good, but Fletcher does offer lots of more things than goals and running through a brick wall. Easy ride is ok, but only to a certain extend.

Ok, I think I know what you mean. Yes, its a great achievement he manged his way so far, esp considering the other players and see where they end up. You are right on this one.

The reason why he is still around is imho the fact that he came in a scored, which was terrific at that time and he came through the Well youth. Apart from that, Motehrwell never really had anyone else to play upfront in the 2nd string, did they? Everyone was hoping for him to find his form again. He scored a nice sum of goals this season but that still doesnt make me think he is as good as people make him.

I sometimes have the feeling, people do wear kind of "'Well Glasses" when they see DC. That player in another team, would be insulted esp from some people in this board.

I think ultimately we're going to have to agree to disagree on the merits of Clarkson on this one mate.

I can't really answer your question about the club having no-one else to play in the reserves, though its perhaps academic as since he broke through he has largely been a part of the first team squad anyway.

I don't believe Clarky is the second coming but that's three 'Well managers now who have seen him as a vital part of their squad. There's Burley who has rated him enough to include him in every Scotland squad for the last year, the Scotland U21 coaches who gave him caps going into double figures and the youth coaches at both club and national level prior to that.

Are all these coaches wrong about him?