Canterbury

Guest 'Flow

Is it not only done like that because Hibs sponsers are in alcohol (whyte & mckay) ??

I know Celtic were selling their tops last year without the sponsor.

As far the 'Well top, I am a big fan, would have loved it with claret shorts though

Might be a very good shout Craig - i'll check that out tomorrow actually. If that were the case though, then surely we could go down the same avenue given we are sponsored by a Bookies?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the exact reason Hibs were doing it. By law they have to sell versions of the kit without the logo, i dont know if its the same with a bookies.

Same with Rangers and Celtic, they have to by law sell these versions.

Thats the exact reason Hibs were doing it. By law they have to sell versions of the kit without the logo, i dont know if its the same with a bookies.

Same with Rangers and Celtic, they have to by law sell these versions.

My understanding was the voluntary regulations were only levied on Youth tops, hence why Rangers/Celtic/Etc sell youth tops with no logo, and we have the PHIL/WELL logo instead.

Though the regulations are voluntary, most clubs and sponsors are doing it anyway as it'll no doubt become law soon anyway!

Good to see the return of a traditional style. I'll be watching how the discussion goes regarding its availability without sponsorship from the gambling industry, until it's provided free from such sponsorship it won't be bought by me.

And you could have a point. If alcohol sponsorship is open to moral objections, gambling is too. Some religions, for example, forbid gambling. Doesn't bother me at all, but if it isn't allowed on children's shirts, it's worth bearing in mind some adults may also have issues with some sponsors.

I seem to remember when Rangers & Celtic started selling the jerseys without sponsors it was to do with their Muslim fans. In fact, after a quick Google search, I've found an article on it:

Linkage

It'll certainly be a reason like that why Hibs give fans the option of buying shirts without the sponsor.

To be honest if I had the choice over buying a shirt with or without a sponsor I'd probably still get the one with the sponsor. A: It's the same as the players', so a proper replica and B: I think club shirts look weird without sponsors on them. I always thought West Brom's jersey looked odd because of the lack of a sponsor last season. Of course I'm younger than 30, so club teams have always had sponsors on their jerseys in my time and so I'm used to it. It's different for the older generations!!! :D

(Having said the above, I'm sitting wearing the orange Barcelona away shirt from a couple of years ago that has no sponsor. :D But Barca were the exception to clubs having sponsors, and I bought this jersey before their UNICEF deal.)

Good to see the return of a traditional style. I'll be watching how the discussion goes regarding its availability without sponsorship from the gambling industry, until it's provided free from such sponsorship it won't be bought by me.

Whats up with having a gambling website for a sponsor?

Canny see JAXX being too keen to agree to a deal whereby they give us money in return for advertising their company on our shirts...then we sell them without the advert!

Maybe if the shop charged a bit extra and Jaxx got the extra dosh?

I seem to remember when Rangers & Celtic started selling the jerseys without sponsors it was to do with their Muslim fans. In fact, after a quick Google search, I've found an article on it:

:D There's catholic and proddie muslims now? :D:D

It's a matter for personal choice isn't it, gamblings not illegal and is strictly licensed and monitored. I'm more likely to buy a sponsored shirt than not because I know that it's better for the club and if we start going down the road of asking for strips without the sponsors name it could hurt the club financially. As a club I dont think we can afford to do that, if you dont agree with the sponsors that's fine walk away, buy copies of the Pettigrew or Wark shirts, but campaigning for shirts without sponsorship should be a no no.

It's a matter for personal choice isn't it, gamblings not illegal and is strictly licensed and monitored. I'm more likely to buy a sponsored shirt than not because I know that it's better for the club and if we start going down the road of asking for strips without the sponsors name it could hurt the club financially. As a club I dont think we can afford to do that, if you dont agree with the sponsors that's fine walk away, buy copies of the Pettigrew or Wark shirts, but campaigning for shirts without sponsorship should be a no no.

If I buy a Wark or Pettigrew shirt from TOFFS then the club get hee-haw out of the deal. That's hardly "better for the club" and if we, as a collective, do "walk away" then the club would suffer, so your second point defeats your first point.

The use of "campaigning" is a bit OTT in my opinion because I don't think any of us realistically expect to be able to buy the shirt without the logo, as appealing as that would be (in the same respect that a lot of us think the new jersey would be better with claret shorts - do we really expect the club/Canterbury to rush out and change it to suit us? No - it's only a fan's discussion on a fan's forum). I'd imagine sponsors demand that replica shirts carry their logo and base any sponsorship agreement on that. I personally think it detracts from the look of possibly the best 'Well shirt in a while. That said, I'm a traditionalist and prefer all shirts without sponsors but that's only a pipe dream these days. Unless you're a Hivee, it seems.

Anyone who reads the Gamblers Admitted section of this forum would know that I'd be a hypocrite to have a moral objection to us advertising a gambling website but it's not about who the sponsor is, in my opinion, rather that shirts are ruined by a (sadly) necessary sponsor's logo.

It's wishful thinking rather than a genuine complaint.

If I buy a Wark or Pettigrew shirt from TOFFS then the club get hee-haw out of the deal.

Last time I was there they had them in the club shop. I hope they still do them as I'm aiming to get one the next time I'm up.

it's not about who the sponsor is, in my opinion, rather that shirts are ruined by a (sadly) necessary sponsor's logo.

Personally I think the shirts are ruined more by the intrusion of umpteen manfacturers logos and trademarks rather than by the sponsors name.

Discussion about sponsors seems to have escalated somewhat.

Anyway my Hibs mate says that he isn't too sure if its due to the fact they have a bevvy company sponsoring them but the logo free shirts have certainly been an option throughout their sponsorship. Hibs have changed to a property company this year so it will be interesting to see if the same option will be available. I guess not.

On the debate around gambling/booze. The same guidelines should apply in my opinion.