Seaon 08/09 Highlights - Lowlights

johnstone

Game of the season: Away to Hearts on the opening day. That game had plenty of goals and a great atmosphere. Could have gone either way but it was non-stop entertainment.

Goal of the season: Sutton v Rangers. What a finish. Closely followed by Hughes at Tynecastle in March.

Player of the season: I'm between David Clarkson and Graeme Smith here. Clarky probably just shades it considering his highest haul of goals yet and his overall attitude. Buzz has had a great season IMO. Made tons of crucial saves and not had too many clangers to speak of. A much more disciplined performance this year. I'm also pleased with the way he's got on with things despite wanting to leave this summer, behaved very professionally.

Best moment: Quinn's keepy-ups in Nancy followed by Buzz's penalty save. That moment felt like we'd won the UEFA cup!

Worst Moment: Hamilton away in December. It looked at that point like we were in for another relegation dogfight with very little hope to be had.

Surprise of the year: Paul Quinn at left-back. Keith Lasley at right-back. David Clarkson at left-mid. Some of the positional decisions this year have been baffling to say the least.

Worst player of the year: Bob Malcolm. Any time he actually did play he looked miles off the pace. What a waste of money.

Young player of the year: Jim O'Brien. Although he only contributed to the second half of the season, he made a spot in the team his own and has shown a lot of promise. On a decent pitch he could be huge next year.

Overall: Tough to take after last season's finish and slightly worrying for next year with the number of players we're losing. There's definitely potential in the squad, just hoping that playing on grass can help us get back to a higher level.

Feel bad for Mark Reynolds who's not had the best season but I think everyone and their dog can see that for someone his age who's only missed a handful of games in 3 seasons it's perfectly understandable for his form to suffer. If he's still here after summer, here's hoping he is given a chance to rest a bit, maybe some more competition from the other young lads will allow him to miss some games and get back to top form.

Game of the season: Away to Hearts on the opening day. That game had plenty of goals and a great atmosphere. Could have gone either way but it was non-stop entertainment.

Goal of the season: Sutton v Rangers. What a finish. Closely followed by Hughes at Tynecastle in March.

Player of the season: I'm between David Clarkson and Graeme Smith here. Clarky probably just shades it considering his highest haul of goals yet and his overall attitude. Buzz has had a great season IMO. Made tons of crucial saves and not had too many clangers to speak of. A much more disciplined performance this year. I'm also pleased with the way he's got on with things despite wanting to leave this summer, behaved very professionally.

Best moment: Quinn's keepy-ups in Nancy followed by Buzz's penalty save. That moment felt like we'd won the UEFA cup!

Worst Moment: Hamilton away in December. It looked at that point like we were in for another relegation dogfight with very little hope to be had.

Surprise of the year: Paul Quinn at left-back. Keith Lasley at right-back. David Clarkson at left-mid. Some of the positional decisions this year have been baffling to say the least.

Worst player of the year: Bob Malcolm. Any time he actually did play he looked miles off the pace. What a waste of money.

Young player of the year: Jim O'Brien. Although he only contributed to the second half of the season, he made a spot in the team his own and has shown a lot of promise. On a decent pitch he could be huge next year.

Overall: Tough to take after last season's finish and slightly worrying for next year with the number of players we're losing. There's definitely potential in the squad, just hoping that playing on grass can help us get back to a higher level.

Feel bad for Mark Reynolds who's not had the best season but I think everyone and their dog can see that for someone his age who's only missed a handful of games in 3 seasons it's perfectly understandable for his form to suffer. If he's still here after summer, here's hoping he is given a chance to rest a bit, maybe some more competition from the other young lads will allow him to miss some games and get back to top form.

Did we not get boab for Free because he was released from QPR????

he was released by derby county cause he drove himself home pished from QPR.

he might have been a free agent but i'd guess we've spunked about £200K on the fat bastard.

70 weeks at at least £3000 a week, plus whatever signing on fee he got for each contract. I think you're talking nearer £300,000. Bad decision...

Game of the season: Away to Dundee Utd, Saints lost 3-2 but played with surprising attacking flair. Edited to say, on second thoughts last weeks game against Falkirk, was a truley special day, almost like the 2-3 game against.......... :)

Goal of the season: Dorman against Hibs or Motherwell. Sublime strikes from a class player. Doubt we will be able to hold onto him. :(

Player of the season: Andy Dorman. Quite simply a player who could develop into something special, if the OF don't get him and turn him into a basic "bit part" player.

Best moment: Billy Mehmet's outrageous celebrations against Celtic in the cup and against our life saving game against Falkirk last week. I was fortunate to attend both games, class. :)

Worst Moment: Losing 3 in a row after the split. From looking fairly safe all of a sudden we looked favourites to go down, funny old game. ;)

Surprise of the year: Playing attacking football a million times more than in the last two seasons. Didn't get us into a better position but pleased some of the fans some of the time.

Worst player of the year: Hard to say, at times quite a few contenders. best be diplomatic and say nowt, always works for me, eh? :nod:

Young player of the year: Stephen McGinn. Showed enough to suggest one for the future. His use of the ball and vision suggests a bright future, hopefully in Black & White.

Overall: Disappointing, could do better. Unlike some, I don't think we are any better than our league position suggests. The league does not lie. We did , at times, play much better football. Scoring goals, like most teams, is a problem. Maybe a big tall centre forward would fit the bill? ;)

All things considered I think we had a decent season.

A number of things happened this season that did not last season and that undoubtedly affected our entire season and league placing.

For example last season we started by playing the (theoretical) bottom 6 and had 2 extra home games when you take into account the away games v Gretna. We also avoided injury for the most part and had Ross Mccormack and Porter playing together for the entire season. That and the fact it took teams a while to acknowledge we were a vastly different side to the previous season under Malpish.

This season we started against the top 6 + Hearts which meant it was difficult to build a winning momentum. We started to experience injuries and suspensions around Nov/Dec that we did not have last season and did not have the strength in depth to cope.

My biggest gripe remains our lack of a decent Scottish Cup run. I would not object to losing to any of the sides in the top 6 but we seem to be experts at losing to lower league and bottom six sides :nod: That line up v St Mirren at home was 4-5-1 all day long. I rate McGhee and hope he stays, which all being well he will. But the more he seems to think about 'big' games the more he tinkers with formation and we look lost.

I think we have done ok this year. If last season was an 8 out of 10, then I give this one a 6 out of 10.