Mmg Off To Celtic

Easy Target

Today's Rancid story is simply a rehash of the Press & Journal story of a few days ago, as I posted before. According to the P & J Mark McGhee is now on holiday.

I know no more than the next fan but it appears to me that a lot of the business is done through the "interested club" and the managers' agent. Matters will be at an advanced stage before official contact is made with the manager's current club.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If McGhee is going, and it seems likely that he will be, then I wish to fuck he'd just hurry up and go somewhere so that we can start planning ahead for next season. We need to strengthen our wafer thin squad or we could seriously struggle next season and that isn't going to happen while we have a manager who is just waiting to be offered a job at at least two other clubs, so the sooner this whole thing is resolved, the better for Motherwell Football Club.

Exactly !!!

First it was the Scotland Job, then the Hearts Job, now it's the Smeltic or sheepshaggers jobs. Basically he is going to be linked with every job that comes up and we are just going to have to wait and see what happens.

I think at some point the club will have to say, make up your mind, commit yourself to us or just go. Our season's preparations are more important than any other clubs Managerial problems, we deserve much more respect and consideration than being treated like some sort of booby prize.

Exactly !!!

First it was the Scotland Job, then the Hearts Job, now it's the Smeltic or sheepshaggers jobs. Basically he is going to be linked with every job that comes up and we are just going to have to wait and see what happens.

I think at some point the club will have to say, make up your mind, commit yourself to us or just go. Our season's preparations are more important than any other clubs Managerial problems, we deserve much more respect and consideration than being treated like some sort of booby prize.

I know where you are coming from and I fully expect him to be away, but in the last few weeks, what exactly has he done thats so bad? The guy has said he hasn't had any contact from any club and he is planning for next season in the Europa league. What else could he do?

:ph34r: Noel Whelan believes he could turn Aberdeen into the Arsenal of Scottish football if the Pittodrie club give him the chance to become manager.

The former Dons player, 34, has already revealed plans to form a dream team with Ron Atkinson if appointed.

He told the Daily Record: "Arsenal would be my blueprint for Aberdeen. That's how I'd make them play. I'd make them good to watch and hard to beat."

I'm not saying that he has done anything bad, just that me deserve to know as a club where we stand, the speculation alone and all the waiting around for other clubs to decide what they want to do, is seriously damaging our preparations. Contract talks, new signings and the basic planning for next season, which starts in less than a month, cannot be resolved until we know where we stand.

It's not fucking good enough, and to coin a phrase used by a certain set of other fans last season" we deserve better".

We know where we stand, we have a manager who is under contract, and that will not change until and unless someone approaches us for him. Last season everyone was moaning that McGhee was touting himself at every opportunity, now everyone is moaning that he is saying diddly squat. We didn't sign anyone last year 'cos we don't have the money, we're not going to sign anyone this year 'cos, guess what, we don't have the money and whether McGhee or anyone else is in charge that isn't going to change, so calm down and wait till the roller-coaster starts moving again in July.

Last season we didn't make a move in the transfer market until McGhee decided not to get on the plane, then we brought in a few trialists at the last minute, nothing to do with not having money, it was lack of preparation.

This season we face losing a few first team regulars who are out of contract, they will have to be replaced if we are to improve on last season.

The fact that he is under contract means nothing otherwise all we would have to do is tell him and the clubs who are apparently interested that he is going nowhere.

Last season we didn't make a move in the transfer market until McGhee decided not to get on the plane, then we brought in a few trialists at the last minute, nothing to do with not having money, it was lack of preparation.

This season we face losing a few first team regulars who are out of contract, they will have to be replaced if we are to improve on last season.

The fact that he is under contract means nothing otherwise all we would have to do is tell him and the clubs who are apparently interested that he is going nowhere.

I agree with a lot that you've posted on this thread. But what I would say is that we have to replace those who are leaving if we are even to match the season just finished, never mind improve. I think improvement this season would be a massive achievement, and I would be happy with finishing 8th or 9th with the circumstances we are in. As long as the players and the manager we have seem to be giving us 100%, I'll not complain.

Let's just hope that the newspapers are right this morning. Not necessarily about McGhee definitely going to Celtic or Aberdeen. But about us finding out today...

So you think that if targeted players would rather sign for St. Johnstone or Dundee then that is not down to money?

I agree that if McGhee is going to go then he should go now, personally I hope he doesn't, but I don't see that the new guy, if there is one, will be any more successful at bringing in players.

Lee Beevers is, apparently, going to snub us, and with us European football, for a lower league English club. That is almost certainly down to money.

I agree that if McGhee is going to go then he should go now, personally I hope he doesn't, but I don't see that the new guy, if there is one, will be any more successful at bringing in players.

You might be right, but another individual at the moment may just be looking a wee bit harder. Are you trying to suggest that McGhee has not had his eye taken off the ball by the Aberdeen and Celtic talk?

I'm about this close (insert smiley for man holding 2cm gap between thumb and fore finger) from hitting the panic button regarding our prep for the new season. We need to replace the departing players to even tread water, let alone anything else.

I don't know, I know we have been linked in the press with several players (ok, I don't believe any of the shite they print either) and have apparently lost out to other clubs of a similar, or arguably lower, standing to ours. I think that is due to finance, and not McGhee's desire, or otherwise, to change jobs. It may, however, be contributing to his (alleged) desire to change jobs.

So you think that if targeted players would rather sign for St. Johnstone or Dundee then that is not down to money?

Lee Beevers is, apparently, going to snub us, and with us European football, for a lower league English club. That is almost certainly down to money.

I was talking about last season, when we did nothing in the transfer market until McGhee decided not to go to Hearts and then we brought in trialists in a late attempt to add something to our squad. The point being that then as now we had to wait on another clubs interests being resolved before we could deal with our own. A complete lack of preparation and nothing to do with our undoubted lack of funds.

I was talking about last season, when we did nothing in the transfer market until McGhee decided not to go to Hearts and then we brought in trialists in a late attempt to add something to our squad. The point being that then as now we had to wait on another clubs interests being resolved before we could deal with our own. A complete lack of preparation and nothing to do with our undoubted lack of funds.

I totally agree

I've been informed that McGhee is at Parkhead today to discuss his application. However, I think it is only a curtosy as I don't see him getting the Celtic job yet.

As for the Aberdeen job, I would be rather pissed off at him if he went there but, sadly, its looking more and more likely I'm afraid....

I think its time our chairman came forward and put up the reddies for McGhee to play in the transfer market and hopefully entice him to stay away from the finacial black hole that is Sheepland!

I've been informed that McGhee is at Parkhead today to discuss his application. However, I think it is only a curtosy as I don't see him getting the Celtic job yet.

As for the Aberdeen job, I would be rather pissed off at him if he went there but, sadly, its looking more and more likely I'm afraid....

I think its time our chairman came forward and put up the reddies for McGhee to play in the transfer market and hopefully entice him to stay away from the finacial black hole that is Sheepland!

Totally disagree. I reckon Celtic is a far more likely destination as the more their original targets keep knocking them back, it makes them more likely to come for McGhee.

I reckon Aberdeen will not want to pay any kind of compensation, and will have a few suitable applicants who are currently out of work.

The answer is not to give McGhee money (even of we had any to give him) but to try and get this sorted as soon as possible. Boyle should be on the phone to Celtic and Aberdeen and be saying "You want him? Fine. He want to come to you? Fine. How much you paying? Fine. Let's get it done by Monday or no deal..." I know this is my being naive, but we have to do something to move this along and try and get the club out of limbo...

McGhee's dithering left us ill prepared at the start of last season lets hope the same doesn't happen this time

I was talking about last season, when we did nothing in the transfer market until McGhee decided not to go to Hearts and then we brought in trialists in a late attempt to add something to our squad.

See I keep hearing this, or chat along the same lines, and it's quite frankly a load of auld shite that is being used to twist an argument to fit. The final round of fixtures last season were on the 22nd May. McGhee agreed his new Motherwell contract on the 26th May. 4 days.

See I keep hearing this, or chat along the same lines, and it's quite frankly a load of auld shite that is being used to twist an argument to fit. The final round of fixtures last season were on the 22nd May. McGhee agreed his new Motherwell contract on the 26th May. 4 days.

What has that got to do with anything, the contract he agreed meant nothing, he then went on to meet Romanov at least twice before deciding not to get on that plane, he spent some considerable time considering the move to Hearts going as far as agreeing a deal for him and Leitch, during that time I doubt the preparations for our season were upmost in his thoughts.

It wasn't until he decided not to go that the business of getting us ready for the new season started, the trailists that were here only arrived prior to the pre season games.

Not a load of auld shite mate, and not twisting anything to suit anyone. This didn't suit me then and it sure as fuck doesnt suit me now.

May 27 2008

McGhee turned down Hearts on 26 May as Al B says. So he did have plenty of time to get us prepared for the new season, but my view is that the improved contract terms which both he and Leitch secured were more of an obstacle to preparation as whatever funds were available for new players were diverted to the management team

Stuart.

What has that got to do with anything, the contract he agreed meant nothing, he then went on to meet Romanov at least twice before deciding not to get on that plane, he spent some considerable time considering the move to Hearts going as far as agreeing a deal for him and Leitch, during that time I doubt the preparations for our season were upmost in his thoughts.

No he never! 26 May 2008 was the day he was due to get on the plane to Lithuania but changed his mind. Hearts official approach happened on 23 May 2009. He never met with any single Hearts representative after 26 May 2009 unless it was regards to buying or selling players.

Article of 27 May 2008 stating Clarkson was glad McGhee rejected Hearts. So when during the close season apart from when on holiday with his Wife did he not have his eye on Motherwell FC during last summer?

I stand corrected.

A mixture of frustration and nerves for the new season has obviously confused my recollection :lol::lol:

However the point remains we were subject to all of this shite last season and here we are yet again only this season we have players out of contract and a European game to play in less than 4 weeks time.