• Craig Brown (None) + Young Assistant
    • Davie Hay (Livingston) + Young Assistant
    • Stephen Craigan (Motherwell) - Player/Manager
    • Jim Jeffries (Kilmarnock)
    • Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

i was thinking the same mate as im sure when these jobs came up john boyle would have thought mmg would take 1 of them so i would have thought that he would be looking and speaking to people about getting someone in quickly as pre-season starts soon and the europe run starts :whistling:

I'm just wondering it at the very back of some people's minds, there's a thought that us qualifying for Europe was a bad thing. Might cause John Boyle to act unwisely in haste. I'm not saying this will happen, but I'm sure if we weren't kicking a ball in anger until August he'd feel less pressurised to make a quick appointment...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this on Luc, a bit out of date but not bad.

His CV in Holland includes being assistant to former Holland and Barcelona boss Luis Van Gaal at AZ Alkmaar, where they reached a UEFA Cup semi-final in 2005.

Nijholt has been manager of Dutch second division side Stormvogels Telstar for the past one a half seasons, taking the smallest club in the country up to third in the table.

Playing career: Haarlam, AZ Alkmaar, Utrecht, BSC Old Boys Basle, Motherwell, Swindon, FC Volendam.

Managerial career: FC Volendam (player-coach and academy coach), AZ Alkmaar (under 16, 17, 20 and 23 coach, assistant manager), Stormvogels Telstar (manager).

Found this on Luc, a bit out of date but not bad.

His CV in Holland includes being assistant to former Holland and Barcelona boss Luis Van Gaal at AZ Alkmaar, where they reached a UEFA Cup semi-final in 2005.

Nijholt has been manager of Dutch second division side Stormvogels Telstar for the past one a half seasons, taking the smallest club in the country up to third in the table.

Playing career: Haarlam, AZ Alkmaar, Utrecht, BSC Old Boys Basle, Motherwell, Swindon, FC Volendam.

Managerial career: FC Volendam (player-coach and academy coach), AZ Alkmaar (under 16, 17, 20 and 23 coach, assistant manager), Stormvogels Telstar (manager).

When you look at that, it does make for impressive reading. I guess the only thing really stopping me from wanting Luc as manager is the fear of it all going wrong and him being run out of town with his good name sullied...

In addition he is now assistant to Co Adrianse.

I understand what you are saying Melvin, but that is a risk we would have with all candidates.

Not all have the same legendary status that Luc has though.

I'm kind of caught on the horns of a dilemma here. I want the club to take their time and get the right man in. But our first competitive game is in two and a half weeks. I'm just hoping that John Boyle had a think about it and sounded out a few people on the quiet as soon as the Aberdeen and Celtic jobs became available...

If a new appointment isn't made in the next few days then I'd play the Under 19s in the European tie.

If a new appointment isn't made in the next few days then I'd play the Under 19s in the European tie.

While I wouldn't quite go that far, I'd be tempted to put Gordon Young in charge for the first round if a new guy isn't in place by next Monday. At least he knows the players and their various strengths/weaknesses.

On a side issue, does anyone know when we were planning to start pre-season training...?

22nd of June springs to mind.

Whoever comes in it isn't going to be easy trying to organise pre-season, assess the squad, approach new players and negotiate competitive European football.

22nd of June is the European draw, this much I know.

Slight advantage of bringing a new guy in is that there may be players available that the gu has worked with before. Any new manager might also have a wider range of contacts than simply Alex McLeish and Gordon Strachan...

I remember you suggesting Keegan after Malpas got the bullet - at the time I agreed with you (even though I wasn't sure you were being serious!). Keegan would be a good motivator and he would no doubt attract players because of who he is -his sides never win anything but they were always great to watch.

I would love it if we get him. Love it :whistling:

Stuart.

I think Keegan would be an inspired choice as our new manager.

Luc Nijholt was on the verge of becomming interim manager of Feyenoord in january as their coach left + Leo Beenhakker isnt in till july, he had almost 3 seasons as manager of Stormvogels Telstar so decent manager experience, his work at AZ with their youth system is bearing fruit now and he has had stints at AZ + Red Bull as assistant to Louis Van Gaal + Co Adrianse respectively.

3 years management experience where he did well on a tiny budget, assistant experience with 2 big european clubs to 2 world class managers and experience cultivating + developing youth talent!

Does Ian McCall, Gordon Chisholm,Gary McAllister,Terry Butcher,Brian Reid, etc have a CV like that?

Call the big man now!!!!!!

I wasn’t sure at first about Luc Nijholt for manager as I never realised his managerial background (thought we were being like celtic and only linking people who were ex players etc). However, having learned he was assistant to former Holland and Barcelona boss Luis Van Gaal at AZ Alkmaar and is currently assistant at FC red bull Salzburg( managed by Co Adrianse), I certainly think we should try and get him in!

Luc Nijholt was on the verge of becomming interim manager of Feyenoord in january

Only problem I can see is that statement would suggest that in the two years since McGhee's appointment, Nijholt's stock has risen and we may not be the first in the queue for his services.

More I think about it, and hear about his CV, the more I'm warming to the idea of him in charge. Sadly, the more I read his CV, the more I think he's destined for better than the Motherwell job this summer...

thats the thing I was worried about when I found that out, but he is still at Red Bull,their coach has gone so he might be able to go as well, and a year or two at us could be just the ticket for him getting a big job in holland intstead of offers for interim posts.

The guy is keen on us so I think if we came in he would listen, it would be a McGhee situation in that we know he would only be here a couple years before going onto better things but from the articles ive read on him he seems anything but a media whore like McGhee, and the biggest plus points in the Feyenoord article is that they were after him as he would be cheap to get, small wage and he is real good at motiviting a squad and getting them playing well together, sounds damn good to me

This thread is doing an excellent PR job for Nijholt.

Think I've been swayed.

I'm getting there too. I think we'd need to find the right assistant, someone who knows the current Scottish football scene. But with that proviso, I'm finding myself more in love with the idea as time goes on. Go on, JB, give the people what they want. You can blame us if it goes tits up...