Aberdeen Say Managers Job Is Mark Mcghee's If He Wants It

Well Well

I'm 99% sure he's off to Aberdeen. If he's going he needs to go now. We don't have time for another summer of him waiting until check-in for the Megabus to Aberdeen before deciding not to.

I'm not as sure as you are that he's off, Jay, but I do agree that if he goes it has to be NOW to give us time to get ourselves prepared for next season. For what it's worth, that would be my opinion even if our season started in mid August rather than early July...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think finance will have a lot to do with whoever Aberdeen appoint, and if Eric Black is in the frame it should be easier to get him.

I hope MMG stays, but as others have said if he has to go then it must be soon, as we need to move forward with our plans, which have become an even more pressing issue after today's anouncement.

I think MM will get the Aberdeen job - his may be one of the first applications that Willie Miller was spouting about - but if he does go there he should be aware that:

- expectation levels at that club are totally unrealistic;

- getting 4th place and qualifying for Europe (again) was enough for them to 'sack' a

manager so anything less will mean a public hanging;

- there is no money to buy players;

- the wage structure is very poor;

- they have plenty of dead wood players wise; and

- Willie Miller looking over your shoulder.

Apart from the latter it could be us!!!! :P

There's a good interview with McGhee on the Official site. It's a shame that most of are resigned to the fact that's he away as the interview makes good reading.

Sadly, as all of the soundbites we are being fed increase our speculation, it makes it difficult to believe anything we read or hear at the moment, forcing us to take everything with a pinch of salt. Which then has to include this artcle.

I think that's a poor post in a number of ways, however it's just given me the chance to counter one of the biggest bug bears I have about the common comments about anybody who moves to a bigger club because of 'ambition'

Wanting to stay and win things with Motherwell is far more ambitious than going to Aberdeen or Celtic to win things. It's blatantly obvious that its harder to win things on a limited budget than it is with the sectarian dollar rammed into yer hip pocket.

Saying that you're a glory hunter and want to move somewhere where you're more likely to win things is good fortune - not ambition.

Feel free to explain why my post was a "poor" one.

As for what you say about ambition, ambition is wanting to win things. As you say yourself, it's much easier to win something with a big club than a small one. If Mark McGhee wants to win the SPL, for example, is trying to win it with Motherwell instead of Celtic, say, more 'ambitious'? Or just plain unrealistic?

Moving to a bigger club, be that player or manager, allows you the chance to be more successful. What else is that other than ambitious? :lol:

I don't think anyone on here has actually said they want McGhee to go because he doesn't "live and breathe" Motherwell FC.

Regardless at some point he will be off hes spouted on about "loyalty" when he only stopped jumping ship because of cold feet"

Never been a fan and his past speaks volumes of his loyalty so be gone or get on with it, this same shit hindered our singing of new players last season IMHO so get it put to bed quickly.

Personally id rather have halve the quality of manager as long as he eats sleeps and shits MFC.

I would plump for Mio and Softy, good guys, good football guys and just as Important good Motherwell men...the club needs guys who are committed to MFC and are prepared to see the job through, the last thing we want is another CV builder.

Just my thoughts.

I beg to differ...

I beg to differ...

I see you used a quote from me, If McGhee stays so be it, if he goes so be it, what I cant stomach is the thought of season after season of this kind of speculation shit of whether we will have a new manager or not.

I admit I would like to see 'Motherwell Men' as in folk who are prepared settle down and build the club up, step at a time.

What McGhee did in his first season was remarkable, but as fickle as (some of us) well fans are, if he didnt repeat that this season it would be a failure, and some see it that way, I have no doubt McGhee is good coach, but thats where it ends for me, if he goes to the Dons and has a great season like his first here, and if whoever gets the cellic gig and mucks it up, I have no doubt McGhee will be lifting his skirt to cellic once more.

Fair enough, but McGhee could "lift his skirt" up as much as he likes, he'll only be linked with clubs if he is a success. Don't get me wrong, I'd love McGhee to come out and confirm that he'll stay at Motherwell next season, no matter who offers him a job. However, that would be a blatant lie. If a bigger club comes in for him, he'll go. But he's only linked with jobs because he is viewed as being a success. Hari Kampman could've been in the press every day saying how much he'd love to manage Celtic, Aberdeen, Real Madrid, etc. He would never have been linked with those jobs, no matter how much he "lifted his skirt", because he was a failure.

No?

To me ambition and success are two different things.

Surely success is the only way to measure your ambition? Are they not inextricably linked?

My ambition is to be really good at my job. If I achieve my ambition, I'll be a success at my job.

Surely success is the only way to measure your ambition? Are they not inextricably linked?

My ambition is to be really good at my job. If I achieve my ambition, I'll be a success at my job.

As for the question earlier - I disagreed with a few of your points. And the Madeline McCann stuff is for the weans playpen in Compost Corner - not the football forum.

A couple of us have posted the same response to your definition of ambition. The point being made is that it's easier to win things when you have all the resourses in the world handed to you on a plate.

Who was more ambitious David or Goliath??????

Well going by what he says on the official site and in the Daily Express this morning he is preparing for being here next season.

In the Daily Express he is quoted as saying that he is trying to get things moving quickly in terms of signings for the new season and will also look at getting players in on loan from bigger clubs as a possibility to help us progress in the Europa League.

None of that to me says that he has made his mind up to leave.

(However I have been wrong in the past)

AMBITION:

a. An eager or strong desire to achieve something, such as fame or power.

b. The object or goal desired

Achieve something?...Well McGhee has achieved 'realistically' all he'll ever achieve with Motherwell. A top 3 finish and into Europe. Aside from a cup win thats it for us. If theres one thing missing, or even one thing he owe's us from his time here is a decent cup run...maybe that will be his ambition to stay and have another crack next season.

Goal desired? The guy obviously has strong ties with both Aberdeen and Celtic, ties we probably dont appreciate because we're claret and amber to the bitter end. But if i was sitting as Manager of St Mirren..or Inverness, and Motherwell came in for me..i'd be there in a shot. Boyhood dream an all that jazz. The ambition to manage a club i supported as a boy, or a club i played with and had good times with. We know looking in from the outside that Aberdeen aren't a million miles ahead of us, double the amount of fans (still relatively small for a huge city), a wee bit more money. It might bamboozle us why he'd want to go there. But end of the day if part of his heart still lies up north, then fair enough. Mark McGhee is the best Motherwell manager that i can remember in my time supporting the Well. I'd be gutted if he went. However, i can understand him going to Aberdeen or Celtic alot more than i could Hearts last season. IF he does go, then thanks for the memories and all the best. I hope it is over with sooner or later so we can all look forward to another European tour and a crack at a cup and the top six.

Mon the Well!

All he has to say is I want to stay at Fir Park. End of. Move on. The more days he doesn't come out and say that the more chance he will be offski.

Why should he say anything like that when the Celtic job is available? He's made no secret of his desire to manage celtic one day so why shoot himself in the foot. Its a massive job and a huge step up.

As a McGhee admirer, I would be dissapointed if he leaves but at the end of the day we are Motherwell, we are a stepping stone club. And it may go against the grain here, but I'de much rather have a stepping stone manager who wants to achieve things with us and make his stock rise, than a career jo who is happy to guide us to 10th every year.

If he go's we have to trust Boyle to get the right guy in. He pulled McGhee out his arse :lol: , two years ago. Nothing to say he can't get someone of similar quality.

* It would be a pain in the arse though if he go's to Aberdeen and takes half the team with him, leaves us with Boab, McGarry and Darren Smith.

Guest 'Flow
And it may go against the grain here, but I'de much rather have a stepping stone manager who wants to achieve things with us and make his stock rise, than a career jo who is happy to guide us to 10th every year.

Not against my grain - I completely agree with you!

'Flow

Not against my grain - I completely agree with you!

'Flow

As above for me.

If we ever get a manager that doesn't treat us as a stepping stone club then it's for one of two reasons.

1) We are SPL Champions, Won the Champions League, Won the Scottish Cup, Won the League Cup on a regular basis. Any 2 or 3 of those at anytime in a season would stop making us a stepping stone club.

or

2) We've got in a manager with no ambition or drive in him other than for us to finish outside the relegation zone.

I have heard folk say about us not taking on any rookie managers again. I tend to agree with that but we have survived those that have taken us on as their first role and they've gone onto bigger and better things, so the boards have been justified in their decisions.

We haven't exactly fared well with experienced managers either at times. Especially when you think of Kampmann for example.

So I'll take a guy with ambition that is looking at his next club being bigger and better but knows that to get that move he has to prove that he can move our club on as well. I think we can safely say that over two seasons McGhee has delivered that.

Last season we finished 3rd with a squad where the majority of them were from the same team that Malpas had that nearly seen us relegated.

We can put a lot of our problems this season down to the pitch and that may account for some of the weird formations we've seen this season. We also had a serious lack of fit\available personnel over November and December that also contributed. So even finishing 7th we have still moved forward from when he came in.

If he stays next season will be when we really see how far on we've moved on from when he arrived. He has already stated that due to our budget he looks for quality not quantity and a repeat of November\December is always possible because of that. If he went for quantity we could have been taken part in the relegation battle this season and had folk complaining how crap some of our players were.The only good thing to come out of that was that the likes of McGarry and Fitzy might have been getting treated as world class players. :lol:

Sorry to those that have read this on another thread,

Reading with interest all your posts on ambition and success and feel that as a smaller club, like it or not we are, we as mentioned should be encouraging any future manager as we do with players to view us as a stepping stone to bigger and possible better things.

In my view I don’t see that as a bad thing, as long as the manager in question respects his position and doesn’t continually mention other clubs and possible jobs and teams he supported as a lad at every possible opportunity, you know who I mean.

I would like to put forward in my opinion the next Motherwell Manager, as I fully expect McGhee to leave, don’t think he will get the Celtic job but I think the Aberdeen job is his to turn down and think he will take it, and if not think he will go elsewhere, cant see him being with us come August.

I would like to see Derek Adams given the job. Before you all shout him down as not ready or experienced the same thing was said by many of you about Owen Coyle before McGhee got the job and look what Coyle has done.

Adams ticks all the right boxes for me, young, very ambitious, has had lower league management experience with varying success, has played for us (although that doesn’t bother me) and I think has the drive to take us on to possible future glories.

The ting for Derek Adams is that it was only a couple of months ago he was accussed of and apologised for hitting one of his own players.

He may have got away with it at Ross County but I don't think he would in the SPL and quite rightly.

I don't think he has the temperment to deal with a SPL side, especially if they were involved with a relegation battle.