Looks Definite Now He's Off !

WELLDAFT

Having read the statement on the Official Site, might I say something. Motherwell are going to do everything possible to get "him to stay". I know this is just flannel probably, but if not, please don't bother trying. He obviously doesn't want to be here, and irrespective of my previous opinion on him, do we really want a manager here who, quite frankly, will be staying under duress? If he gets a pay rise and stays, I will not be back...

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree fully MB.

I thought I was a fairly rational person - but after 40+years of supporting the 'Well I still can't be when it comes to my team. Don't know whether I would even want McGhee back should he decide against moving to the sheepies :whistling: All respect for the man gone (as I say all rationality has disappeared) - don't let the door hit you on the erse on the way out. Nice while it lasted, but let's get someone in now who actually wants to carry out a job for MFC. By the way my choice - Billy Reid !!! (Experience, particularily on a shoestring and what he has done at Accies is nothing short of remarkable, not only that but had them playing some good football).

Having read the statement on the Official Site, might I say something. Motherwell are going to do everything possible to get "him to stay". I know this is just flannel probably, but if not, please don't bother trying. He obviously doesn't want to be here, and irrespective of my previous opinion on him, do we really want a manager here who, quite frankly, will be staying under duress? If he gets a pay rise and stays, I will not be back...

I don't want him to stay now either after all of this, but think it would be comedy gold reading you getting your knickers in a twist if he was to do a u-turn. :whistling:

I agree.

As one of McGhee's staunchest defenders I no longer want him to stay.

His comments yesterday while under contract to Motherwell were extremely disappointing. I lost a lot of respect for him reading them.

He has made it clear that he doesn't see his future at Fir Park, which is fair enough and I've no issue with that, but to try and keep him under these circumstances would be a mistake I think.

I'd be gutted to see Leitchy leave the club again though.

Most of the East Stand, particularly those who sit in or around Section B, and/or have a nervous disposition, are now hoping McGhee stays to save them a fortune on ear plugs...

It's alright, you'll be able to hear me abusing him from the car park outside the Phil O'Donnell stand...

Difficult one this. Clearly he wants out and now most of the fans want him to GTF. However, if it means the Sheep are trying to do this on the cheap and we get no compensation then what do we do? Keep him to his contract and he walks after a season of him not caring (albeit that damages his market value) and having disgruntled fans or let him go for nothing? Glad I am not JB (well I am but not that one).

McGhee described missing out to George Burley as "a huge disappointment". (BBC report)

I've been one of McGhee's biggest fans and said from day one if we got two good seasons out of him I'd be happy. I agree with Polomint though, his comments in yesterday's paper, together with the flirtation with Hearts last year and the above comments over the Scotland job clearly show that he has always had one eye on the door out. I said at the time he would have got the Scotland job had Phil not died. I have no hard feelings towards him - despite some of his more bizarre decisions which cost us in major games this year - he had us playing a brand of football I never thought I would see and he got us into Europe, which got me on my first MFC trip overseas - for that I will always be grateful. If, as is inevitable, he leaves I will thank him for 2 years which more than erased the painful Malpas season from the memory......but won't fall over myself wishing him all the best for the future......after all, in his own words Motherwell are the best team in the SPL outside the Old Firm !

Stuart.

Pretty much agree with you there Stuart but there's one thing regarding your last comment.

If McGhee feels we are, on our day, the best team outwith the Old Firm then I would imagine he sees that as justifying his decision to move. It would suggest he can't take us any higher, particularly with budget restraints, but there is room for improvement at Aberdeen. Having seen Aberdeen last season and not been impressed, I would certainly agree on that and I will not be surprised if he does have an immediate impact.

I'm not sure I agree with his comment though, as a few sides could make the claim they are 3rd best "on their day".

Personally, I'm very worried about this departure. I really don't know who we could attract. A few people are mentioning Billy Reid but I don't think we could bring him to motherwell. 3 or 4 of our best players could be on their way out and Hamilton have a good young side who will probably we able to hold on to a few of their best players for another year. McGhee has done a great job but could leave us pretty fucked. Could be a grim season next year unless we get a decent name in, but still looking forward to it <_<

Personally, I'm very worried about this departure. I really don't know who we could attract. A few people are mentioning Billy Reid but I don't think we could bring him to motherwell. 3 or 4 of our best players could be on their way out and Hamilton have a good young side who will probably we able to hold on to a few of their best players for another year. McGhee has done a great job but could leave us pretty fucked. Could be a grim season next year unless we get a decent name in, but still looking forward to it <_<

Dinnae panic, man. Wait and see who is appointed, might well be surprised at the candidates we get. Everyone in football is in the same boat at the moment, so we're no worse off than most teams. And you say that Hamilton will hold on to their best players? Transfer window's not even open yet, wait and see what happens...

There are more decent managers than there are jobs. Of course there are also more bad managers than there are jobs. As long as we go for one of the decent ones, I don't really care who it is.

It's that simple <_<

From BBC Website

Boyle hopes McGhee stays at Well

Motherwell chairman John Boyle hopes to convince club manager Mark McGhee that his future is at Fir Park.

Aberdeen are in talks to bring McGhee, 52, to Pittodrie, where he starred as a player, to replace Jimmy Calderwood who departed at the end of the season.

Boyle said on the club's website: "Nothing has been finalised as yet and we hope we can persuade Mark to stay."

Aberdeen's director of football Willie Miller had earlier described talks with Motherwell as "extremely encouraging".

The statement on the Motherwell website clarifies that Boyle, reluctantly, gave Aberdeen permission to talk to McGhee at the weekend.

But Miller, a former team-mate of McGhee in the early 1980s, was cautious in his comments on his club's website.

"We are attempting to reach an agreement on all fronts as soon as possible," he said.

"But, until everything is finalised, it would be premature to confirm that Mark will be the new Aberdeen manager.

"I've been involved in the game far too long not to realise there are many pitfalls that can affect things at this crucial stage, not least of which is the agreement of compensation between Motherwell and ourselves."

The Dons made their move when it became apparent that Tony Mowbray was going to pip McGhee to the Celtic manager's job.

In his two seasons at Motherwell, McGhee led them to third and seventh-place finishes in the league, and is viewed as the ideal person to take over from former boss Calderwood.

McGhee will be returning to a club which he served with distinction, under Alex Ferguson, from 1978 until 1984, when he left to play for Hamburg.

In that time he scored 63 goals in 164 appearances for the north-east club.

He was the PFA Players' Player of the Year in 1982 and a year later helped the Dons defeat Real Madrid to lift the European Cup-Winners' Cup.

With a playing record like this, McGhee will be guaranteed a warm welcome by the Pittodrie supporters.

His managerial career began with Reading in 1991, as player-manager, before spells at Wolves, Leicester, Millwall and Brighton.

However, it was his ability to reinvigorate Motherwell, whom he joined in June 2007 on a three-year deal, and his handling of the tragedy of the death of club captain Phil O'Donnell that have attracted suitors in Scotland.

In January 2008, after a bright start to his career at Motherwell, he was interviewed for the Scotland job vacated by Alex McLeish when he left for Birmingham City.

McGhee described missing out to George Burley as "a huge disappointment".

Then last summer he was offered the chance to become manager of Hearts, taking over from interim boss Stevie Frail, by the club's owner Vladimir Romanov.

McGhee was at the airport, ready to fly to Lithuania to clinch the deal, but decided not to make the trip.

Instead he said he wanted to lead the Steelmen into Europe after an absence of 13 years, although that adventure was limited to home and away defeats by AS Nancy in the Uefa Cup.

On his departure from Parkhead, Gordon Strachan recommended McGhee to the Celtic board as his successor.

He was in the running for the post, but with Celtic now focused on securing Mowbray as their new manager, McGhee will set about bringing silverware back to Pittodrie.

Would love to see Derek Adams given the gig, young, enthusiastic and has a good footballing knowledge. He has a good volume of contacts through his old man and this could be used to bring in future stars, who knows maybe his old man would come back to us again?

I would give him the nod with Leitchy as his assistant.

Before you all shout him down about losing his temper and hitting a player, did the great Sir Alex not do something similar with a shoe? Never did him or the player any harm.

I think we should be looking to a manager of the future not an old has been like McAlister.

are you mad!!!! why would we want a guy who has just got his team relegated from the 1st division if he is appointed then boyle should walk out the front door and never come back

are you mad!!!! why would we want a guy who has just got his team relegated from the 1st division if he is appointed then boyle should walk out the front door and never come back

Ross County weren't relegated...

Not my first choice but he also got County promoted. Decent enough start to his managerial career.

Tommy McLean had one season at Morton under his belt before we appointed him. Experience is a definate bonus but lets face it experienced or inexperienced it can be a bit of a lottery appointing the right guy. I'll be happy with whoever provided we can avoid proven failures like Duffy, Williamson etc.

Not my first choice but he also got County promoted.

I'd say Dick Campbell got Ross County promoted, they were top of league when Adams took over in the February(?) of that season. IIRC, the league should have been won a lot earlier than it actually was won.

As I've posted before, Derek Adams gets a resounding "NO" from me.

I'd say Dick Campbell got Ross County promoted, they were top of league when Adams took over in the February(?) of that season. IIRC, the league should have been won a lot earlier than it actually was won.

As I've posted before, Derek Adams gets a resounding "NO" from me.

Not sure if they were top of league or not, but Campbell left on 2 October 2007, the majority of the season lying ahead. I think Adams can take a fair portion of the credit for promotion.

If he is away, then all the best to him (but not against us obviously) and my thanks for helping me have some of the best times I've ever had being a 'Well fan. Like it or not we are a stepping stone for players and Managers but I must admit I thought that he would have held out for something a lot better than Aberdeen.

Won't miss the constant speculation though and his inexplicable formation changes for vital games. His alleged contacts in Europe and elsewhere re transfers. Aberdeen fans will now have the joy of that as they must realise that they are just another step to where he really want to get to, Premiership, Championship or Celtic and it will be a short time before he is off to one of those.

But onwards and upwards, managers and players aren't Motherwell then are transients in the long history of this great football club. The fans are what makes this club and we will always be there. It is the nature of the sport that things always change it's what makes it interesting and something to talk about, and we why we love it.

I'm more interested in seeing how the new pitch is doing anyway to be honest.

C'mon the 'Well.