Jim Gannon

decorator

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Successful partnership? We've had probably one of the worst defensive records for the past couple of seasons. IMO that 'partnership' needed a good shake up.

i was hoping someone would say that.

in 07/08 we had the fourth least goals against behind rangers, celtic and hibs (hibs conceded 45, we conceded 46). that was with craigan and reynolds playing together almost every single game.

last season in the spl they played together 20 times and we lost 6 (in the other 18 games we lost ten). with them conceded 1.2 goals per game, without them 1.5.

the stats back up that they've been succesful for us.

i was hoping someone would say that.

in 07/08 we had the fourth least goals against behind rangers, celtic and hibs (hibs conceded 45, we conceded 46). that was with craigan and reynolds playing together almost every single game.

last season in the spl they played together 20 times and we lost 6 (in the other 18 games we lost ten). with them conceded 1.2 goals per game, without them 1.5.

the stats back up that they've been succesful for us.

So are you happy with our central defence then? You can trot out all the statistics you like but I'd much rather see the partnership changed. In those other 18 games we probably had our worst run of injuries to other key members of the team so it wasn't any surprise to have lost more games. We just don't have a dominant centre half who will muscle people off the ball and put his head where it hurts. How many times does Reynolds get pushed off the ball? He needs to bulk up if he's to become a good central defender. I'm happy with Craigan in the central defence but he needs someone beside him who has a bit of height and pace about him that won't be out muscled easily. I'm hoping Gannon can bring in someone to fill this role as MM saw that as a weakness in our team but didn't manage to bring anyone in over the course of two seasons.

Aye well we all want the team to be better. When we had McCormack, Porter and Clarkson up front they all banged in a good few goals but we'd all have sold our granny to get rid of any one of them if we could have had someone who could play like Torres in his place.

I'm sure the day our manager sees a defender that fits that description and he rates good enough to do better than current players if we can afford him he'll sign him up soon as he can.

So are you happy with our central defence then?

i'd like another centrehalf as competition but, yes, i'm happy with reynolds and craigan starting. you can finish third with as your centreback pairing. we did it in 07/08, we were joint third through the 11 games they played at the start of 08/09 and had the third best record from when craigan came back until the split.

people talk about bigger centrehalves, dundee united have the biggest centrehalves about but lost one more than us in 07/08 and one less last season. they must be doing something right.

is it really wise for gannon to antagonise proven spl players with long associations with the club? the guys he's brought in aren't exactly world beaters and except humphrey aren't signed on with the club for very long. i would guess that mclean went to falkirk largely due to the way he was treated from august 07 to february 08, we would be in a much better posistion if he was still in the squad. it's okay to act all principled and say no player's bigger than the club but beggars can't be choosers and players aren't exactly queueing up to join us, capable guys we have here should be man managed to the benefit of the club (neither mollycodelled or sacrificed on the managers ego).

were still in dire straits in terms of our squad. we're at least 3 players short of the minimum we need for the spl campaign and we've got almost no one out of our senior players contracted beyond next summer. sutton, craigan, reynolds, humphrey and fraser are the only ones as far as i know. gannon has a lot of work to do.

I've never heard so much pish in all my life!

You'd think the lad was a world beater......lets just see how well he does at Falkirk!

he was a good player but no biggy in losing him... but it's inevitable that he will score against us this season, always happens

i've no idea what's going on i'm only reading the rumours the same as everyone else.

what i have seen is however is lasley being dropped after playing well in two games for a guy who was/is nowhere near fit. hammell who has over 250 appearances for the club being dropped to fit in a young player who had made one appearance and who's introduction to the team split up craigan and reynold's succesful centreback partnership. neither decision could have been a purely based on form and i don't believe it's attitude either as they've both had ten years or so at the club without any problems. maybe gannon is part of kmckalpin's club and only likes tall football players or maybe he's just determined to play his own guys and make it his team at the expense of everything else.

from what we've heard about freezing out players, fueding with the fans and refusing to talk to sky because of a dispute about his sky box i think we can conclude he has a bit of an ego about him. if this all goes tits up gannon will be off and we would probably be left in a worse posistion than we were in june.

again i'll say reserve judgement til the window shuts and we've played a few spl standard teams but imo right now we're still in a perilous posistion and too many people seem to have gotten a rose tinted view of things from a couple of wins against dire sides and a glamour tie against steaua.

If we take the attitude that these games were glorified friendlies then he could drop players he knew could do a job and try some experimenting to assess his whole squad

I've never heard so much pish in all my life!

How is that pish?

I wouldnt say that we are in dire straits although I would say we do need another 3 players. Im sure Gannon knows that as a few injuries during the season might land us in a bit of trouble.

The rest of the post was pretty much spot on imo

i'd like another centrehalf as competition but, yes, i'm happy with reynolds and craigan starting.

Gannon doesn't appear too happy with them as a central defensive pairing. I'm happy with them in the team but would like to see a dominating centre half in there as well. Granted it wouldn't be a disaster if we didn't get one in but I think it would be healthy competition for us if we could. There's probably other areas of the team that require to be strengthened first though.

How is that pish?

I wouldnt say that we are in dire straits although I would say we do need another 3 players. Im sure Gannon knows that as a few injuries during the season might land us in a bit of trouble.

The rest of the post was pretty much spot on imo

Coz Mclean left because Motherwell didn't want him..........Antagonising the players, the guy is the Manager, do you want him to make them cups of tea and wipe their arses? Do you really think Jim wont improve the squad depth further, coz I have no doubt JG will strengthen........How can anyone judge his new signings without seeing them in a good few games.........i.e I think the arguments listed in the post are just a classic case of a Motherwell fan finding a reason to moan!

So in short a pile o pish!

Gannon doesn't appear too happy with them as a central defensive pairing. I'm happy with them in the team but would like to see a dominating centre half in there as well. Granted it wouldn't be a disaster if we didn't get one in but I think it would be healthy competition for us if we could. There's probably other areas of the team that require to be strengthened first though.

fairplay. some people seem to think that they're a terrible pairing and that's clearly not the case. i'd put that down to mcghee constantly mentioning them as our weakpoint which created a complex in the fans and for a while in the team.

and we probably aren't in dire straits but we've only got two strikers and one right back in the squad. if you said to any motherwell fan in march that come august sutton and murphy would be our only two strikers and saunders would be our only right back you wouldn't have got a very positive reaction.

fairplay. some people seem to think that they're a terrible pairing and that's clearly not the case. i'd put that down to mcghee constantly mentioning them as our weakpoint which created a complex in the fans and for a while in the team.

and we probably aren't in dire straits but we've only got two strikers and one right back in the squad. if you said to any motherwell fan in march that come august sutton and murphy would be our only two strikers and saunders would be our only right back you wouldn't have got a very positive reaction.

Do you really think we wont sign a right back and another striker? We have already had strikers on trial and been linked with a couple of right backs, so at what point do you think we aren't actively looking to recruit players in these areas?

Do you really think we wont sign a right back and another striker? We have already had strikers on loan and been linked with a couple of right back, so at what point do you think we aren't actively looking to recruit players in these areas?

obviously we will be and i hope we get good players in.

not sure it's as simple as that though. how long has mcghee been looking for a centrehalf for or levein for a striker or hibs for a decent goalie? bringing in good players on our budget isn't easy.

i'm looking forward to the new season i'm just voicing a bit of concern based on what we have tonight, i don't do blind faith <_< . anayway it's just a few posts on the board, it's not like i'm outside fir park protesting.

obviously we will be and i hope we get good players in.

not sure it's as simple as that though. how long has mcghee been looking for a centrehalf for or levein for a striker or hibs for a decent goalie? bringing in good players on our budget isn't easy.

i'm looking forward to the new season i'm just voicing a bit of concern based on what we have tonight, i don't do blind faith <_< . anayway it's just a few posts on the board, it's not like i'm outside fir park protesting.

That's fair enough Steelboy, but I don't do criticism before there is just cause.....guess it just depends if your a glass half empty or half full kinda guy! :P

Coz Mclean left because Motherwell didn't want him..........Antagonising the players, the guy is the Manager, do you want him to make them cups of tea and wipe their arses? Do you really think Jim wont improve the squad depth further, coz I have no doubt JG will strengthen........How can anyone judge his new signings without seeing them in a good few games.........i.e I think the arguments listed in the post are just a classic case of a Motherwell fan finding a reason to moan!

So in short a pile o pish!

I agree with you, I think Gannon will strengthen the squad. I also agree that new signings shouldnt be judged as yet.

Im not moaning at all, infact im very optimistic about this season I think we should just tread carefully and not always assume that the grass is always greener.

P.s how do i get my keyboard to stop typing in italics?

I don't think people are turning on Gannon at all. I just think we all know that our squad is pretty thin at the moment and figure we'll need every player in our first team squad at some point. And therefore it's a valid concern that some players don't like playing for the manager. I'm sure we'll add at least a couple of players before the start of the season but I would hope that would not be counteracted by the sale of the likes of Hammell and Lasley. I know it seems contradictory but I reckon Darren Smith and Mark Fitzpatrick will be surplus to requirements though. On the basis of Gannon's team selections so far, both are out of the picture. That and the fact we've signed 3 midfielders...

I see some people mentioning about Gannon "feuding" with fans. I don't recall hearing this before. Stockport fans seemed to love him unconditionally so I don't see where this story came from...

Game after game after game I was coming on here and hearing how bad the defence was and how awful we were at set pieces - this was BEFORE McGhee came in even! The majority of those games had Quinn, Craigan, Reynolds and either Paterson or Hammell. Central defence and goalkeeper have needed a shake up for a long, long time - early doors, but it appears we now have the goalie in place, at least. We still need a no-nonsense centre-half and now a right back too - let's see how this plays out in the next week or so in the transfer market.. Things HAD to change. Like most, I like all these players but CHANGE WE MUST.

I see some people mentioning about Gannon "feuding" with fans. I don't recall hearing this before. Stockport fans seemed to love him unconditionally so I don't see where this story came from...

Yeah, I'm calling BS on that one.

Game after game after game I was coming on here and hearing how bad the defence was and how awful we were at set pieces -

Since when did you believe what you read on here :whistling: , the stats don't lie progress was made with the players mentioned, and sure we lost goals but hey we are Motherwell Football club in the SPL, I don't know if I'm quite ready to sit and watch games where we never concede :lol:

Things HAD to change. Like most, I like all these players but CHANGE WE MUST.

Things are changing, but thats not to say everyone will be happy with the thought that everything is to change.

I think Steelboy is getting challenged a little ( not just by you HC) on this thread for simply stating facts supporting players who are still turning out for MFC.

Every player from the past, present and future have weaknesses its just how it is at our club,

JG is implementing sweeping changes at present and we can all enjoy the new experience that these changes bring.

I'll be quite happy if our centre pairing is the most capped 'Well player and one of two of the most promising defenders we've produced/developed in years one of whom was not that long ago was walking away with fans MOTM awards week in week out and has already progressed in developing his stature by steadily adding bulk

Is someone else is added to the sqaud that can improve on or challenge these two and lets not forget big Hutchison then fine but I'd say right now our biggest concern in defense is right back, I don't know if I could handle watching O'Brien filling in there again :O

The man is GOD!

Sent to the stand before the season even starts, got a feeling he'll fit in just fine round these parts.

Oh aye and has us playing some beautiful football with a wee bit of bite.

Long may it continue. In JG we trust.

The man is GOD!

Sent to the stand before the season even starts, got a feeling he'll fit in just fine round these parts.

Oh aye and has us playing some beautiful football with a wee bit of bite.

Long may it continue. In JG we trust.

Hear, hear!!

Mon the 'Well!!!