Jim Gannon

decorator

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd question but does anyone know the date these guys signed for the Well and the date Hamilton left?

I'm pretty sure the Irish guys all came in the January transfer window in 2007 and didn't Paterson sign for Plymouth on the last day of the January 2008 transfer window.

They did mate but I'm pretty sure one of the Irish lads took Hamilton's number (16 if I remember right) but I'm sure Jim left AFTER they arrived. You are right about Paterson though. Jim out and Hammell in....plus a wee profit.

First off. Never heard of Jim Gannon, but if he beat the likes of Sanchez, Staunton, Boothroyd, McAllister and Nijholt (the last two never really being in the running apparently though) then he must have something special to offer and I await the official press conference with baited breath. This excitement is neutralized in the extreme however....

......the sale of Clarkson AND Quinn, coupled with the loss of McLean, Klimpl, Hughes, Buzz, Boab and possibly Reynolds is utter suicide, and I think we deserve an explanation from Boyle regarding the selling of these players considering the circumstances. The money brought in from the sale of these players however absolutely HAS to be re-invested in replacements!!! Who knows if this will happen? But it absolutely has for the sake of the clubs SPL status. Nae excuses. Just look at that starting line up from the bounce game. Jesus Christ!!! How long before that team starting every week has us marrooned at the bottom! We knew we had a threadbare squad before Clarky and Quinn were sold, so to sell them, with no replacements available is utter folly. Gannon will need to be a miracle worker to bring in the players needed in time for the season starting.

Why the fuck should we buy a season ticket now? The Setanta money falling through being a justifiable reason doesn't cut it for me. Where's the money from Porter? Accies still have their prize assets McCarty, McArthur and Easton. St Mirren still have Andy "I single handedly ket them in the SPL" Dorman, so why are we flogging our best players asap after already seeing the squad stripped to the bare bones? It's fucking bullshit. A least try and induce some sort of bidding war to get the over the odds money that teams are paying these days for players!

We don't need Jim Gannon, we need Jesus if we're to stay up barring the major influx of players needed.

St Mirren are in a good financial position due to selling their ground. Accies I believe are fairly comfortable too due to money earned in last 1st Div season, low wages, and SPL survival.

With these sales that would keep us safe.

Rangers (debt although CL money will help them), Falkirk (new stands), Killie (massive debt due to hotel), Hearts (debt), Aberdeen (debt), and St Johnstone (newly promoted) will need to follow suit........or be very, very, careful.

I think that Boyle has shown himself to not be a numpty, and although some of his decisions may not be favourable among some parts of the support there is usually a reason behind him doing so - I can't think of anything he has done where there hasn't been justification.

The loss of out-of-contract players isn't entirely his fault, more to do with McGhee not tying them down when he was here but they're away now so that's that.

But I don't think Clarkson, Quinn and Reynolds would be going if Gannon hadn't given the thumbs up to it. Gannon and Boyle have met plenty of times so far to discuss things such as players I'd imagine (I'm not sure what they would speak about in interviews, but I'd guess the playing squad would be one thing), and so Gannon must be ok with it.

This must mean that he has a couple - well, hopefully more than a couple - of potential targets lined up as replacements already. Going by what Stockport fans as well as others have been saying about players he's bought in the past then I'd say that things are going to be pretty exciting for Motherwell in the coming days and weeks.

Mon the new players!

Mon the Jimbo Gannon!

Mon the 'Well! :D

I take your points but after the sale of Porter, the 3rd place finish, the Cooper to the Old Firm, the profit from Paterson/Hammell deal, apparently we had a sell on clause for McCulloch when he went to Rangers(?), the removal of Boab from the wage bill, compensation for McGhee (depending on Gannons salary) surely we should be in a reasonable financial footing?! Obviously I know nothing about the finer details of all these things, but the starting line up from the other day there should really drive home the point we are in no position to sell anyone before others are brought in?

I know that Quinn, Clarky and Reynolds are entering the last year of their contract and the other players contracts had ran out, but there I blame Boyle and McGhee for having no long term plan beyond last season for the club, for which questions should be asked.

Clarky, Quinn, Reynolds could all have been asked to sign improved new deals, but on the strength that if someone came in they could go, ensuring the club got a decent fee but didn't deny the player his move. Even Scott McDonald after scoring those 2 (wonderful) goals that day and started to attract attention signed a 2 and a half year deal on the eve of that 4-4 draw with Celtic. All the Hibs prospects Brown, Thompson, Fletcher did that. hence why the first 2 did, and Fletcher almost certainly will go for silly money.

I take your points but after the sale of Porter, the 3rd place finish, the Cooper to the Old Firm, the profit from Paterson/Hammell deal, apparently we had a sell on clause for McCulloch when he went to Rangers(?), the removal of Boab from the wage bill, compensation for McGhee (depending on Gannons salary) surely we should be in a reasonable financial footing?! Obviously I know nothing about the finer details of all these things, but the starting line up from the other day there should really drive home the point we are in no position to sell anyone before others are brought in?

Thing is, the whole Setanta thing can't be ignored. It's been widely reported that several SPL clubs could go tits up if the TV rights can't be sold. Maybe JB's just ensuring that we're not one of them. Scottish clubs could end up relying on cash at the turnstiles as pretty much their main income source. Advertising revenue will also ultimately drop if advertisers aren't getting their trackside boards on the telly.

I think we'll see a lot of belts being tightened this year.

First off. Never heard of Jim Gannon, but if he beat the likes of Sanchez, Staunton, Boothroyd, McAllister and Nijholt (the last two never really being in the running apparently though) then he must have something special to offer and I await the official press conference with baited breath. This excitement is neutralized in the extreme however....

......the sale of Clarkson AND Quinn, coupled with the loss of McLean, Klimpl, Hughes, Buzz, Boab and possibly Reynolds is utter suicide, and I think we deserve an explanation from Boyle regarding the selling of these players considering the circumstances. The money brought in from the sale of these players however absolutely HAS to be re-invested in replacements!!! Who knows if this will happen? But it absolutely has for the sake of the clubs SPL status. Nae excuses. Just look at that starting line up from the bounce game. Jesus Christ!!! How long before that team starting every week has us marrooned at the bottom! We knew we had a threadbare squad before Clarky and Quinn were sold, so to sell them, with no replacements available is utter folly. Gannon will need to be a miracle worker to bring in the players needed in time for the season starting.

Why the fuck should we buy a season ticket now? The Setanta money falling through being a justifiable reason doesn't cut it for me. Where's the money from Porter? Accies still have their prize assets McCarty, McArthur and Easton. St Mirren still have Andy "I single handedly ket them in the SPL" Dorman, so why are we flogging our best players asap after already seeing the squad stripped to the bare bones? It's fucking bullshit. A least try and induce some sort of bidding war to get the over the odds money that teams are paying these days for players!

We don't need Jim Gannon, we need Jesus if we're to stay up barring the major influx of players needed.

post-1038-1246212672_thumb.png

I blame Boyle and McGhee for having no long term plan beyond last season for the club, for which questions should be asked.

I get the point but who's to say that the sale of these players was not part of the long-term plan. Normally when players reach the final stages of their contract they are sounded out about whether they want to stay or would look to move on. I wouldn't be surprised if Clarky felt that now was the time to move on and maybe get a little cash in for the club at the same time. Quinn, I believe, needs to get away from the goldfish bowl around here it doesn't surprise me he is moving on. To be perfectly honest I think our first team squad needs freshening up, McGhee was wont to say that he wouldn't bring in any players who weren't better than what we already had, admirable sentiment, but pathetically naive. We dont operate at that end of the market and the squad didn't need improving it needed refreshing.

The latest bit of news going round is that there should be a friendly between County and Motherwell. Don't know where though, if it's down here then Stockport's also on the West Coast Main Line, and anyone who likes a drink will love Edgeley...

I'd welcome that. 8th August anyone? We rather unexpectedly seem to have a free day then :D

He has got a great reputation down south and takes no crap off anyone. Alot of his former players are singing his praises. I'm sure he will go down popular. Hope he can blend together a good squad and raise more eyebrows.

Read today he once refused to do interviews with SKY for 8 months as they gave him a dodgy sky plus box.

Also phoned the fuzz after a player in his side was subject to a horror challenge which he deemed assult.

Lokking forward to the new campign even though our squad is so thread bear.

Could do, but there's the small matter of a local derby game at Oldham that day, and we don't have a squad big enough for two games... in fact we don't have a squad big enough for one game, when it comes to that

Snap!

Still quite excited by this appointment, interesting to hear what Gannon has to say regarding his plans/ambitions for us and what he makes of the squad (or lack of it). Have to say though, that of almost equal interest to me will be who is appointed as his assistant manager. If the name Stephen Craigan is the answer, I will be most disappointed after JB playing such a blinder most of this summer. Nothing against Craigan (in a couple of years, he should be a shoe in for the number two job), but to me, if it is done now, it will smack of the cheap option...

I'm not sure what is up with the 'cheap option'. Who knows the Scottish game better in the FP dressing room than Crags? Who knows the players better? If he can stay professional and objective about his own performances then for me it is an ideal appointment.