Worst Motherwell Team And Manager

dazamfc

Does anyone else remember Mike Larnach?

And how about Bob Latchford or Ally Hunter for worst keeper?

Couldn't argue with either Latchford or Hunter. Unbelievably Larnach was for many years our record signing at £100k (about 1977/78??).

Anyone for Alan Mackin? or Alex Spark??

Guys, who was Alan Sneddon ? Poor bloke seems to have been nominated by almost everyone.

Bring back the Sned :P

Hard as nails and totally blind fullback.

May be an urban myth but I've heard tales of the time he walked into the Centenary suite after a game and fell over a table 'cos he didn't see it. :lol:

Edit: Oh aye, and any team that doesn't have Shaun McSkimming in it isn't the worst Motherwell team of all time. :doh:

I don't think Kampman was that bad. He did the neccessary evil of getting rid of a group of past-it players that a Scottish manager probably wouldn't have had the bottle to get rid of. It's just a shame most of the players he replaced them with were pish!

I'm now anticipating a "tell the sned he was shite" :lol:
OK then -

Tell the Sned he was shite :doh: - he certainly wasn't the worst we ever had - Derek Murray anyone?

<span class="postcolor">And how about Bob Latchford or Ally Hunter for worst keeper?</span>

Wish it had been 'Bob', unfortunately it was his brother Peter we got - Bob was a prolific centre forward with Everton in the day.

If you're talking keepers John Fallon must be up there - as might 'The Girvan Lighthouse' - how he ever managed to play top-flight is beyond me.

I don't think Kampman was that bad. He did the neccessary evil of getting rid of a group of past-it players that a Scottish manager probably wouldn't have had the bottle to get rid of. It's just a shame most of the players he replaced them with were pish!

The idea was sound in freshening up the squad but he got rid of too many, too quick. It was all a bit drastic.

Coyne, Martin, Arnott, Philliben and Falconer all at the one go. Must be close to 1000 games experience for MFC between them all let go at once.

The idea was sound in freshening up the squad but he got rid of too many, too quick. It was all a bit drastic.

Coyne, Martin, Arnott, Philliben and Falconer all at the one go. Must be close to 1000 games experience for MFC between them all let go at once.

I know what you're saying but they were all well past their best, and they are all legends (Well, maybe not Falconer, but he did keep us in the Premier League previously). The main problem Kampman had, in my opinion, was that he under-estimated the standard of football in the SPL as guys like Stefan Lindqvist and co. just weren't good enough. Even the experience brought in in the shape of Brian McClair was a huge disappointment, but I think the previous squad definitely had to go.

Having just reconsiderred what I've written, maybe Harri over-estimated the SPL at the time, as I don't seem to remember us having much in the way of strength in the team at the time, and perhaps guys like Linqvist, Michels, etc just weren't cut out for the physical aspect of the game over here. I'm trying to remember who our centre-halves were at that time - I think one was Jamie McGowan, who was hardly a bruiser, so that could have been it. I certainly think he got a bit of a raw deal, punted in the manner that he was, and I think he is remembered harshly by the fans.

Wish it had been 'Bob', unfortunately it was his brother Peter we got - Bob was a prolific centre forward with Everton in the day.

Three Latchford brothers, Peter played in goal for Celtic, Dave played in goal for us and Bob, as you say, played for Everton up front.

Sorry for any confusion, but it was thirty odd years ago.

I am not going to try and argue that Harri Kampman's time was a success but I knew people who worked at the club at the time he took over and they were impressed by some of the things he tried to do.

McLeish (apparantly) ran a fairly relaxed ship and when Harri came in he insisted on better discipline from the players (better time keeping etc), controlled the players diets better and gave catering staff a programme of training a month in advance so that they could help with nutrition.

For what ever reason it did not work but we have to remember he was given very little time to make it work.

• 1 month later...
1.Stevie Woods

2.Allan Sneddon

3.Danny Murphy

4.Marc Fitzpatrick

5.Karl Ready

6.Rob Maaskant

7.Martin McBride

8.Andy Roddie

9.Willie Falconer

10.Cillian Sheridan

11.Joe McLeod

Manager; Maurice Malpas

Cork fans think so much of Murphy they've even got legend T-shirts....

Legend?!?!

Can;t believe some of the shit on this thread :-)

Andy Dornan ? (Sold to somewhere in England, kept the club afloat at the time)

Howerd Sameroff ? (half dozen appearences at the end of a season with 60% shut outs)

Kia Nysonnen ? (scored a goal live on sky to put us top of the league)

Countless others that I can't be arsed going through.

If people think Kampmann was the worst manager 'Well manager ever, then they need to look back a bit. We had a shite team when he took over 2/3 of the way through a season and we stayed up. When the new season started, things didn't go tits up until that little c**t nevin appeared. We've had a load of miles worse managers over the years :P Roger Hynd (excluding his first five weeks), Bobby Watson, Ally McLeod and the incredible Jock Wallace who got rid of some of our best players because they were tims (while telling the papers they were 'lazy')

Like another poster, i expect all of you are too young to remember John Fallon, who was the worst keeper by a country mile.

I can't remember us even winning a game with John Fallon in goals, he even turned away from the onrushing Colin Stein at Ibrox and threw the ball into his own net.

Some of the names mentioned on this thread have me cringing. :ph34r: . Worst manager has to be a joint ownership with Kampman and Malpas. Worst defender Queifio a French numptie. Worst midfielder is John Davies worst striker is John Hendry and worst keeper is Stevie (traffic cone) Woods. Have to say Fitzpatrick deserves a mention too for his performances last season. -_-