Worst Motherwell Team And Manager

dazamfc

3 hours ago, wellup83 said:

He did sign cult hero Shivute. Give the guy some credit. 😆

Not the worst player he ever signed. Shivute's double at Ibrox in a 2-2 draw was worth signing him for.  He was a bit raw and sometimes ran the ball out of play, but he was nowhere near the worst player we've ever had or even the worst signed by McLeish. Even when he signed decent players he made shit deals for them.

4 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

Eliphas Shivute - to quote McLeish "Motherwell fans will never have seen a player like Eliphas before"............Boy was he right 😀

He will forever be synonymous with the luminous yellow (Pony?) Kit. What a player. Wonder where he is now.

8 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

He will forever be synonymous with the luminous yellow (Pony?) Kit. What a player. Wonder where he is now.

Wonder no more....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wellup83 said:

According to wikipedia, we got £350K for him !

14 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

The run under Watson is far and away the worst time I have had to suffer through as a 'well fan, brutal doesn't even come close.

The arse end(s) of Ally McLeod were a toss up with Watson but aye, pretty horrendous stuff. If forums and Steelboy existed at that time, it would have been a right laugh 🙂

On the upside, Hay coming in gave us the best section of a season ever, 7-0, 5-0, fucking over Hearts to stop them coming up.......but was it worth the crap that went before ?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

On the upside, Hay coming in gave us the best section of a season ever, 7-0, 5-0, fucking over Hearts to stop them coming up.......but was it worth the crap that went before ?

15 May 1982. Enjoyed the whole season but that result at Tynecastle was the icing on the cake. Wonderful. 

Place almost burst into flames when the Killie HT score came in. And the best bit was that we already had the League won but our players and fans wanted more.

49 minutes ago, dennyc said:

15 May 1982. Enjoyed the whole season but that result at Tynecastle was the icing on the cake. Wonderful. 

Place almost burst into flames when the Killie HT score came in. And the best bit was that we already had the League won but our players and fans wanted more.

It was a great season and I really enjoyed visiting all those grounds that have long since disappeared or been "upgraded".

I was also at Tynecastle for that game and was primarily interested in who was going to end up our top scorer - but then that half time score was announced and it was hilarious.

Ally MacLeod?
We were supposedly the big fish in the league and MacLeod had money to spend. He did sign some good players for that level but failed to get the setup right and promotion. He boasted when he took over that we would be challenging for first division title within 2 seasons. It took Davie Hay to mould the players into a winning, entertaining team.. (And Jock Wallace to reverse it.)

My biggest gripe against MacLeod was that he played Willie Pettigrew out of position and May have been part of the reason that Willie left for Dundee United. (NOTE Only my opinion) Think MacLeod’s personality required himself to be the ‘big noise’ (and nose) at a club.

Aaron Chapman is probably the worst player I've seen. He looked genuinely surprised every time he managed to stop the ball, and looked like he was waiting for Al to tell him who's body he just leapt into.

McLean was manager when I started watching us, so based on that period onwards, I'd have to go with Hammell as our worst manager. He was just clueless, and having Kerr as assistant was even worse.

McLeish wasn't great, but that era had some great players and moments, so I can't put him in with the worst.

3 hours ago, Alpha1886 said:

Ally MacLeod?
We were supposedly the big fish in the league and MacLeod had money to spend. He did sign some good players for that level but failed to get the setup right and promotion. He boasted when he took over that we would be challenging for first division title within 2 seasons. It took Davie Hay to mould the players into a winning, entertaining team.. (And Jock Wallace to reverse it.)

My biggest gripe against MacLeod was that he played Willie Pettigrew out of position and May have been part of the reason that Willie left for Dundee United. (NOTE Only my opinion) Think MacLeod’s personality required himself to be the ‘big noise’ (and nose) at a club.

Yip agree with that I had a good long chat with Davie Hay at a club function in Bothwell, very interesting with his views on the club and players at that time. One of the best managers we have had. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 2:21 PM, AllyMax said:

Not the worst player he ever signed. Shivute's double at Ibrox in a 2-2 draw was worth signing him for.  He was a bit raw and sometimes ran the ball out of play, but he was nowhere near the worst player we've ever had or even the worst signed by McLeish. Even when he signed decent players he made shit deals for them.

"Sometimes ran the ball out of play......" You are being very generous mate. Shivute was crap but we've got plenty to choose from, Billy Davies brother for one. Worst manager ? Without doubt Maurice Malpas followed by Bobby Watson, Harri Kampman then McLeish. McLeish generally did well initially because he inherited Tommy McLeans team then set about rebuilding it and his dealings in the transfer market were horrendous. At least Malpas, Watson and Kampman had the excuse of no money to spend. McLeish wasted the £1.75 million we got for Phil ODonnel. Equivalent of £4 million in today's money.

On 2/1/2024 at 4:48 AM, fizoxy said:

Aaron Chapman is probably the worst player I've seen. He looked genuinely surprised every time he managed to stop the ball, and looked like he was waiting for Al to tell him who's body he just leapt into.

McLean was manager when I started watching us, so based on that period onwards, I'd have to go with Hammell as our worst manager. He was just clueless, and having Kerr as assistant was even worse.

McLeish wasn't great, but that era had some great players and moments, so I can't put him in with the worst.

I saw that Chapman turned up at Gilingham for 16 games but is now at Boston United, National League north for whom he has played only 4 games. I know this only because for some obscure reason their fanfare signing announcement appearedon my facebook feed.

Edited by Clackscat
Mistaken name