You'll Be Welcome To Albania!

Edvin

Dear Motherwell FC fans,

I heard on the news that you've been warned by your club’s homepage not to travel to Albania, because the country is not considered secure and that no trip will be organized by the club. I'm sorry for this unjust image of my country. I ensure you that this is not true. I'm aware that my country is not the most beautiful, the richest, and the securest one of the world, but I'm informed that the parameters of security in Albania are much higher than the average of the EU countries, while London, where everybody would love to travel to, has the worst parameters of criminality in Europe. I mean, there is no reason to avoid travelling to London, to Rome, to Tirana or to Vlora just because of a deformed image.

Albania is a country of a cheerless past, but of an interesting present. The country welcomes since some years millions of tourists – including various football fans - and no causalities have been reported to have happen. I know you’ll find in Albania lots of remains of the poverty caused by Communism, but you will also have many lovely places to visit, beautiful hotels to stay, and cheep restaurants with delicious Balkanic food. And especially in Vlora you will find a beautiful coastline, and you’ll be able to swim and find freshness during the hot temperatures of the day.

I’d just advice you not to provoke Vlora fans by walking with beer bottles and Motherwell FC flags on the roads, because that wouldn’t be kind. Do those things only in the stadium.

If you want to know more about Albania, visit www.albaniantourism.com

And if you wish to book any hotels or know about prices, visit www.albania-hotel.com

I read also in your forum that many of you wish to know what Albanian fans know about Motherwell FC. Well, we know about you simply what you know about us., i.e. we know nothing. And football fans feel always lucky when they’ve never heard about their adversary, don’t they? :lol: Thus, let there be fair play, and let the best win! :nod::D

And I kindly wish to Motherwell FC lots of successes in Europa League and also in Champions the next year!

With love from Tirana,

Edvin

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering that some of the best times over the last 2 away Europe marches have revolved around marching in the streets with beer bottles and flags, this would be a no go for me also.

Part of the fun is mingling with the oppostion fans, having some banter and sharing a beer.

Nancy was typical of this with a sing off with the Nancy fans in Stanislas Place.

I wasn't going to Albania anyway due to the early arrival of my son but doubt if I would have anyway based on this!

Hopefully the fans that travel (and there will be some), will have a good time and come back with some stories of the good times. B-)

Much as there may not be any real danger to travelling fans, it is unlikely that more than a few fans will travel. With less than a week to organise a trip to a place that is pretty awkward to get to, very few will go. Flights are likely to cost a fortune at this late stage even just for the trip to London for the connecting flight.

Google earthed Vlora for a wee look. Oval stadium, with small stand on one side and low terrace on other, about half-mile from harbour.

Place looks fairly clean, and not what has been popularly portrayed by our media over the years.

In europe yes, but is it not a Muslim country ? which would result in normal behaviour perhaps causing unintentional offence.

I doubt many will travel, due to the expense and logistic issues, but those that do ..... don't drink beer in street and wave yer Motherwell FC flags :D Don't step on cracked paving slabs, don't exhale breath during the first 15 seconds of every minute, and part your hair to the left. :P

Place looks fairly clean, and not what has been popularly portrayed by our media over the years.

tbh if you look at the images of the town then the images of Motherwell it is not Vlora that looks like a developing City. Vlora looks like paradise in comparison.

Dear Motherwell FC fans,

I heard on the news that you've been warned by your club's homepage not to travel to Albania, because the country is not considered secure and that no trip will be organized by the club. I'm sorry for this unjust image of my country. I ensure you that this is not true. I'm aware that my country is not the most beautiful, the richest, and the securest one of the world, but I'm informed that the parameters of security in Albania are much higher than the average of the EU countries, while London, where everybody would love to travel to, has the worst parameters of criminality in Europe. I mean, there is no reason to avoid travelling to London, to Rome, to Tirana or to Vlora just because of a deformed image.

Albania is a country of a cheerless past, but of an interesting present. The country welcomes since some years millions of tourists – including various football fans - and no causalities have been reported to have happen. I know you'll find in Albania lots of remains of the poverty caused by Communism, but you will also have many lovely places to visit, beautiful hotels to stay, and cheep restaurants with delicious Balkanic food. And especially in Vlora you will find a beautiful coastline, and you'll be able to swim and find freshness during the hot temperatures of the day.

I'd just advice you not to provoke Vlora fans by walking with beer bottles and Motherwell FC flags on the roads, because that wouldn't be kind. Do those things only in the stadium.

If you want to know more about Albania, visit www.albaniantourism.com

And if you wish to book any hotels or know about prices, visit www.albania-hotel.com

I read also in your forum that many of you wish to know what Albanian fans know about Motherwell FC. Well, we know about you simply what you know about us., i.e. we know nothing. And football fans feel always lucky when they've never heard about their adversary, don't they? :lol: Thus, let there be fair play, and let the best win! :lol::lol:

And I kindly wish to Motherwell FC lots of successes in Europa League and also in Champions the next year!

With love from Tirana,

Edvin

Thought that was a well put together post, giving sound advice. You know what the football situation is over there so we have been warned. From the pictures from the threads Vlore looks idyllic. As you say may the best team win. Good luck to you and yours and thanks for the post.

In europe yes, but is it not a Muslim country ? which would result in normal behaviour perhaps causing unintentional offence.

Hmmm Albanians were originally catholic and forced by the turks to convert to islam. Due to communism where all churches and mosques had to be shut down made our people athiest. You will rarely find any religious people in Albania and there is nothing muslim about us.

Hmmm Albanians were originally catholic and forced by the turks to convert to islam. Due to communism where all churches and mosques had to be shut down made our people athiest. You will rarely find any religious people in Albania and there is nothing muslim about us.

Cheers ............ all we have to go on is our media's portrayal of the unrest in the Balkans over the last 20 years. It looks to have been a complicated issue. Those of us who travelled thru the former East Germany and onto Poland in 1991 certainly got our eyes opened as tothe reality of communist states.

Those that do travel from Lanarkshire should be aware in advance what behaviour will be tolerated and what will not. In Nancy, and last week in Llanelli, we were pretty much encouraged to do our own thing. It would appear now that "our own thing" will cause friction/offence in Vlore.

Motherwell fans are not trouble makers, however according to the 1st poster, any exuberance on our part will taunt the locals.

Perhaps the Club were right to advise us to stay at home afterall :lol:

To tell you the truth mate I am a Tirana fan myself from the capital city. Everytime we travel to their stadium we do cheer and sing and do our own thing even though they swear at us with all kinds of words but no fights have happened for as far as I remember. And they swear at us because we are from the capital city and we've had a long history together. They may have been isolated incidents but nothing serious. I mean yeah the people of Vlora are a little bit more hot blooded than the people in Tirana but I don't think that you won't be able to sing and do your own thing. If you wanna march and sing and wave flags and jerseys I don't think that anything will happen. First of all Vlora is a tourist destination and there are a lot of police around. Second of all they do treat their tourists well because they live off the summer years. You are bringing business to them because you will be staying in a hotel and eating food there etc. Another thing is that Vlora doesn't really have an organized fan club so people who go to the stadium are of small groups (5-6 friends)...If the cops see anyone touching you they'll be spending the night in the station as Albanian police are very strict. One of the owners of Flamurtari is also the mayor of the city and I'm sure if your club tells them that there will be Motherwell fans traveling he'll make sure to reserve a spot for you guys and have a lot of police on hand.

Those that do travel from Lanarkshire should be aware in advance what behaviour will be tolerated and what will not. In Nancy, and last week in Llanelli, we were pretty much encouraged to do our own thing. It would appear now that "our own thing" will cause friction/offence in Vlore.

You'll be fine, don't worry. The Albanian people are very hospitable towards foreigners. They are extremely knowledgeable about football in general, although perhaps not as much about the SPL as it is rarely shown out here.

This isn't Istanbul, just enjoy the exper :lol: ience.