Flamaturi V Motherwell

jonnymfc

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again its hard to judge because we don't know much about the opposition, however Albania football is a decent standard and the heat is likely to effect us more than them.

Flamurtari finished down the league and only qualified by winning the cup so they aren't one of the strongest sides in their league you have to imagine so I'd hopeful we can get some kind of result that keeps the tie alive.

I'd be disappointed if we didn't make the next round because although they won't be easy meat I'd be surprised if they were better than say a St. Mirren or a Kilmarnock and although those teams can beat us, if we play to our ability we should be winning over two legs.

We need to be professional, focused and play well to progress but if we do those things I'd expect us to get through.

As long as we can get on the scoresheet, even if we lost by only a single goal deficit like 2-1 or 3-2 etc. then I'd be happy. We'd stand a decent chance of over turning that scoreline back at 'home' so we need to keep it as tight as possible at the back and hope for a goal or two on the break.

I think it's impossible to say how the game will go given we know so little about our opponents. Given we're the seeded team, you would hope that we might be a slightly stronger team than them but it's all guesswork. I know that the fact we've had two games against Llanelli has given them a chance to see us in action which could be perceived as giving them an advantage. But it also means we've had two competitive games under our belt. I'll settle for the tie still being alive for the home leg. Unless of course it's deid cos we've won 4-0 over there <_<

As an aside, I share the disbelief that some have expressed that the club weren't fully aware of the UEFA signing deadlines...

Suggested to a few mates to bet against us.

I doubt we will cope with the heat.

I'd take a 3-2 defeat just now.

I'm with you on this one. William Hill are offering 5/2 on the albanians keeping a clean sheet and a think thats a great bet because that heat will be unbearable and i just can't see us scoring. Where is the pishin rain when you need it :thumbup:

Good interview with Hammel in todays record:

Hammell backs Motherwell rookies to secure Europa League win

Jul 16 2009 Neil Cameron

STEVIE Hammell walked into the Fir Park dressing room on the first day of pre-season training and wondered where everybody was. Half the team had been sold in the summer. Most of his mates were gone. They would even have struggled to hold a game of five-a-sides.

With no manager at the club after the departure of Mark McGhee and a European campaign just a few weeks away, Hammell would have been forgiven for fearing where exactly Motherwell were headed.

Then Jim Gannon arrived and his first action was to invite the young players to swap their away dressing room and join the senior players instead.

It was then Hammell felt Motherwell were in safe hands and had a bright future.

For the 27-year-old left-back can remember a time when he broke through the ranks at Fir Park just ahead of the likes of James McFadden and Stephen Pearson.

And the defender has been impressed by the latest crop of kids who shone brightly in the two Euro ties against Llanelli.

Hammell said: "The boys who've come in performed brilliantly.

"They h a v e n't looked out of place at all. Steven Saunders, Ross Forbes and Paul Slane were excellent for us at Llanelli.

"Young Slaney came with us last season for pre-season training, but for one reason or another he never got his chance.

"The new manager likes to give young players the opportunity to play. He will give them a chance and they certainly haven't let the gaffer down as they've been excellent up until now.

"They'll have a big part to play for us this season. Other players will hopefully be coming in, but if they continue to do well then they will be a big part of things.

"Slaney was one of our most creative players down in Wales and was probably a big difference between the way we performed in the first leg when we lost 1-0 and winning the return 3-0.

"We can't expect them to win games for us every week, but they have come in and are doing a job for us just now.

"We really need the youngsters to step up to the plate as when we reported back for pre-season the home dressing room was empty.

"There were only nine or 10 senior players there but some of the young lads have now joined us from the away dressing room which is where the youth players get changed.

"Every season there is always one or two who come through at Motherwell.

"This year we've more than that because as well as the guys I've mentioned there are a couple of young defenders, Shaun Hutchison and Jonathan Page, who are also impressing.

"It's up to the guys who have been here for a while to pass on advice to the younger players.

"The lads here aren't big-time Charlies so they take on board what you are saying to them.

"But you don't want to help them too much though in case they end up keeping us out the team!

"The fans here love seeing a young player coming through the ranks.You can feel them willing the younger players to come in and do well and hopefully they all continue to progress and can play a big part in our season."

Hammell, in his second spell at Fir Park following his two-year stint at Southend, could tell you everything about the SPL players he's faced over the years.

But he doesn't know a thing about tonight's Europa League opponents FK Flamurtari. Not one of their players rings a bell.

And that's just the way he likes it.

Hammell said: "I prefer going up against someone you know nothing about. You suss out your opponent yourself, you see what they are capable of and you take it from there.

"As a team, we have to find out as quickly as possibly on the night what they are like and then play our game and concentrate on the things the gaffer has been working on with us since he came in."

As a football club, Motherwell have much more on their mind than just European football.

With so much change going on over the summer, SPL survival must be their priority as Gannon builds his own team.

But that doesn't mean they don't want to hang around the Europa League for a few more rounds yet, especially as there are some big names such as Hamburg and Roma in the next draw.

Hammell said: "We definitely want to enjoy a good run in the Europa League.We are in it now so we want to go as far as possible.

"It's difficult to say how far we have to go in Europe before we face a top-quality side as we really don't know a thing about the team we are playing tonight.

"We don't know what standard of players they will have or what to expect from them at all.

"If we get through this round then we would have to progress beyond another two qualifying rounds to reach the group stage.

"If we could get that far then that would be brilliant but it's impossible to look that far ahead, especially as we don't know anything about Flamurtari."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/...86908-21523469/

I'm hoping that where we will be heavily disadvantaged by the heat we'll claw some ground back by the fact that we've had two competitive matches against what I believe will be their none.

I tried to find a league table and it suggested their league hasn't started so perhaps that extra wee bit of sharpness against their rustyness will give us an edge at the start of the game.

I think we're obviously going to tire and will face a job in the second half especially, but if, as Llanelli proved at Airdrie we have something to hold on to, then that could make a big difference in terms of sapping their morale and boosting our own.

But ultimately who knows?

I hope also that the couple of competitive matches will be a leveller for the conditions that we aren't used to. The main thing will be to keep it tight and make sure their young players don't get any encouragement from a positive start.

We've already shown the team can play possession football. this will work in our favour in the heat and not as much expectation on us to chase the game in an away leg.

oh and an away goal would be nice

A update from vlora . The sun is shinning here the temperature its in the region of 40 degrees just returned from a the beach had lunch, just drove past the stadium the atmosphere pretty quite last minute preparation going on, i know the motherwell team opted to stay in Tirana last night a city 100 miles north 3 hour drive away ( wrong decision in my view). no sweaty sockss on sight even though we been told we expecting 500 hundred. The atmosphere in the town is electric and the city expect the boys to deliver. The stadium would be full about 10,000 expected, reading the local media the players of Flamurtari are excited about the prospect and have promised a win.

A update from vlora . The sun is shinning here the temperature its in the region of 40 degrees just returned from a the beach had lunch, just drove past the stadium the atmosphere pretty quite last minute preparation going on, i know the motherwell team opted to stay in Tirana last night a city 100 miles north 3 hour drive away ( wrong decision in my view). no sweaty sockss on sight even though we been told we expecting 500 hundred. The atmosphere in the town is electric and the city expect the boys to deliver. The stadium would be full about 10,000 expected, reading the local media the players of Flamurtari are excited about the prospect and have promised a win.

10000!!! That's fairly impressive. I was not thinking anything like that. It's going to be a rough 90 mins I feel.

I think it's impossible to say how the game will go given we know so little about our opponents. Given we're the seeded team, you would hope that we might be a slightly stronger team than them but it's all guesswork. I know that the fact we've had two games against Llanelli has given them a chance to see us in action which could be perceived as giving them an advantage. But it also means we've had two competitive games under our belt. I'll settle for the tie still being alive for the home leg. Unless of course it's deid cos we've won 4-0 over there :doh:

As an aside, I share the disbelief that some have expressed that the club weren't fully aware of the UEFA signing deadlines...

Or lost 4 v 0

LOL i hope not