Our Old Pal Graeme Smith

Motherwell Seagull

Found this an 'interesting' read...Clicky

Smith swayed by Albion's ambition

8:10am Friday 17th July 2009

comment_bubble.gify Andy Naylor »

Graeme Smith has revealed how the desire to spread his wings and Albion's ambition persuaded him to make a big career move.

There was never any doubt in Smith's mind that he would be leaving Motherwell this summer.

Swapping clubs is one thing, trading countries quite another, especially with a young daughter and girlfriend to consider.

The Seagulls faced competition for the 26-year-old Scottish goalkeeper, even on the day he signed his two-year deal.

Motherwell had turned down offers in excess of £200,000 from Hearts and other clubs while he was under contract at Fir Park but Smith is comfortable with the choice he finally made to switch from north of the border to the south coast on a Bosman free transfer.

"Coming down here I wasn't sure," he said. "Should I come down to League One or stay in the SPL?

"I want to show people in England what I can do and that is basically the main reason why I am here, along with when I met the manager (Russell Slade) and learned of the club's ambition.

"The thing that attracted me was the ambition and once I spoke to the manager I sensed there is a hunger in him as well.

"Motherwell were quite happy to plod along and I always knew I was going to leave there. Even when I went there I saw it as a case of playing 100 games and then move on.

"It was just about when was the right time and this summer was the right time but it took me a long time to weight things up.

"The club waited and waited for my decision. In the end I made the decision to come.

"I wouldn't be here if I didn't think it was the right one. I had other offers, even on the day I was signing, and I could have waited and I am sure more would have come along.

"But I don't want to be a player that hasn't tried things. I want to try and prove to everyone that I can play at the highest level possible. I want to get to the Championship with this club, that's the goal."

Smith was helped during the decision-making process by advice from Albion's manager when they were last in the Championship, Mark McGhee.

The Seagulls made their move at around the same time as McGhee was moving himself, from Motherwell to Aberdeen.

"I spoke to Mark," Smith said. "He told me it is a lovely part of the country to live and he knew I would settle okay with my family.

"He had also heard about the project, which has been well-publicised.

"I don't think there are many clubs in England putting so much money into building a stadium, the £90 million or whatever. It's a lot of money.

"If a club is doing that they don't want to be in League One, so that speaks volumes."

Can't say that I am surprised with anything he said, nor him leaving. The only slight tinge of disrespect to the Well is when he mentions that we are happy to plod along without any real ambition........perhaps he could have omitted from saying that - true as it may be.

Overall Smith was a good keeper for us, and I hope he gets on well down south.

Aye very good Graeme. "Happy to plod along" are we. Fair enough, swap us for a team which finished 16th out of 24 in the THIRD division in England last season.

If they are paying you more money then good luck to you but don't feel that because you have become a seagull that you need to sh** on us.

Stuart.

Can't say that I am surprised with anything he said, nor him leaving. The only slight tinge of disrespect to the Well is when he mentions that we are happy to plod along without any real ambition........perhaps he could have omitted from saying that - true as it may be.

Overall Smith was a good keeper for us, and I hope he gets on well down south.

Agreed. it was clear form his comments in the press / on the website that he was offski.

The comment about lack of ambition - irked me a bit as well. I think it's inaccurate tho, as one of the smaller clubs and given our financial position we've achieved a fair bit. we seem to be able to attract ambitious managers and always aim to end as high up the table as poss.

I think the biggest problem is the stepping stone element for players. if we could ever change that - then I think we could surprise a few again - like we did under mclean

He is a good guy and he wouldn't have ment any malice in those comments.

I would say that the move probably is a move up....financially at least.

Most would move for the money, granted. But has he really shown ambition.

At well we aim for 3rd / Europe every year and aim for a good cup run and hope that our better performers get international recognition.

the Brighton 'project' is a big gamble - which if it works will be great. but there are a few big stadiums in the lower leagues of england with a support much greater than ours to draw on - that are graced by a below average team week in week out

Plodding along... What have Brighton been doing the past ten fifteen years

Ha, ha - we'd have been happy with plodding along during some of those disastrous times.

But it's all about to change, apparently. We're told we now have an owner who can fund a £90m stadium out of his own pocket. If that's true, and no one has disproved it so far, then Smith won't be the first to leave a higher profile league like the SPL to slum it with us. I agree he has primarily gone for money, but we have a decent shot of Championship football during his contract if things go to plan. And both Virgo and Iwelumo broke into the lower reaches of the Scotland set-up while at Brighton and Wayne Henderson was capped in his position at keeper for the Republic of Ireland while also a player there.

Can I explain "Buzz" to Brighton fans? Where'd that start?

i wouldn't be too quick to critisce. he's leaving for the same league mcculloch and mcmillan left for and it turned out ok for them.
Maybe financially, but not so much from an ambition perspective. McMillan's medal collection isn't exactly huge and most of McCulloch's have 'Rangers' engraved on them. Not that I begrudge anyone improving their wage packet. I just tire of sportsmen in general who spout the party line of joining a team that meets their lofty goals.

Dissapointed at some of the comments especially after the celebrations after goals and the way he used to come up to the fans.

I'm not going to criticise him as a goalkeeper because at the end of the day he was one of the best in the spl and i'd give my left testicle to see him replace fraser

I just wish him well in Europe this season.....or ever again.

Thought he was a decent keeper for us and would have him back in a flash ahead of Fraser, but he clearly believed he was better than he actually is. Not entirely the fault of the defence that we have not been able to defend corners/free kicks for the past few years methinks.

Anyway, enjoy Brighton Buzz. I understand there are lots of nice young men to befriend.

I think some of the comments have been a bit harsh here.

The guys went down south to where the big money is to a club who are looking for ambition and looking to go places over the next few years,spending money.

In my opinion that's a bit of a step up.

Yeah let's look at Motherwell, did well and got into europe the past two seasons.....noone can take that away from Motherwell and dare they try. But what about next season?? I'll be honest and call me mr pessemistic if you wish but unless we HEAVILY strengthen the squad i wouldn't write relegation off - remember we have effectivly lost the whole backbone of our team over the past 18 months.

You never know i could be very wrong and i hope that i am, but i sense a long and difficult season ahead. So what if Buzz didn't tell the world what he was doing,that's his business at the end of the day and the move he has made is for himself and his own family security - financially speaking anyway.

He hasn't exactly said anything bad about motherwell either,just stated a fact - it would have been the same if he had played for any other club in the SPL.

As someone said lets remember that Smith to isn't exactly the greatest goalkeeper of all time.decent yes but realistically he wasn't going to get a move to the premiership was he because quite simply....he isn't up to the standard.

He has made the best of the cards laid out in front of him,fair play i say.

I think some of the comments have been a bit harsh here.

The guys went down south to where the big money is to a club who are looking for ambition and looking to go places over the next few years,spending money.

I've absolutely no problem with any player wanting to move on and better themselves

but thats not the point here. In numerous interviews he was non commital about his future (again no problem with that). But why come out and say publicly now he was always going to leave?

However if he knew all along that he was going to move all he had to do was be open and say that he intended to move on at the end of his contract but until that time came he would be giving MFC 100%.