Motherwell Tie Is Given Go-ahead (was Game Off)

dosser

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully it will be sorted, but with yon rule about being in the country 24 hours prior to the match that only gives them until tomorrow night to get here, so at a guess they are going to have to be on a flight out of Albania perhaps by tonight at the latest? Obviously all if's and but's - and it will probably end up being much ado about nothing - but it might not be that straightforward. The UK embassy in Albania are going to have to sort this out for them in double quick time, they've got a fair number of people to get over here, and they've really only got a few hours, presumably.

Is that not more of a comment on the fact that non-EU member countries (for example) are allowed to participate in UEFA competitions though?

Countries aren't going to relax their immigration controls and invite in all and sundry purely for a game of fitba, are they?

I think it's another apparent flaw in this quick fire setup they've created for these early rounds of the Europa League. A logistical nightmare for fans and clubs alike.

Absolutely. Its political doublespeak - are they European or are they not (am not arguing either way)?

When I have applied for Visa's in the past I have required to supply flight and accommodation details etc. Doubt our Albanian friends could have done that 4 weeks ago - but perhaps they have wasted a week???

Absolutely. Its political doublespeak - are they European or are they not (am not arguing either way)?

When I have applied for Visa's in the past I have required to supply flight and accommodation details etc. Doubt our Albanian friends could have done that 4 weeks ago - but perhaps they have wasted a week???

Dont know if this will apply to European countries but they let you fill out your visa form on the plane to the states before landing and being granted permission by immigration to pass border control. You just simply fill in a form with your residency during your stay. Also they ask you some questions about your visit and how much money you have to spend. If you are on working duties and not just a visitor then its a totally different ball game and visa applications have to be submitted well in advance.

Is that not more of a comment on the fact that non-EU member countries (for example) are allowed to participate in UEFA competitions though?

Well, when Celtic and Man Utd won the European Cup in the 1960s the UK was not a member country of the EEC (as it was then). There is no link between being European in a football sense and European in a political sense.

Stuart.

There is no link between being European in a football sense and European in a political sense.

I didn't say their was. The poster I responded to suggested it was a farce that anyone playing in or spectating at European games would require a visa to travel to another country. Put simply, if the country that's hosting the game requires the visitors to have visa's they are simply going to have to get them as generally speaking countries aren't going to throw open their borders for footballing reasons!

I put the non-EU membership thing in as an example as broadly speaking those are the countries who are going to encounter this problem, although not all of them will as I think there are perhaps one or two exceptions to that - Norway maybe?

EDIT: That said I favour the old school approach that teams competing should at least be European in a geographical sense - Israel, Kazakhstan!? :thumbup:

Well, when Celtic and Man Utd won the European Cup in the 1960s the UK was not a member country of the EEC (as it was then). There is no link between being European in a football sense and European in a political sense.

Stuart.

They should be stripped of their titles. :thumbup:

It's a non-story. Slow news day where the Ugly Sisters are concerned, so they have to fill their pages with some kind of nonsense.

It's standard procedure for it to take a couple of days to process visas, especially when it involves large groups, so no conspiracy there.

Only question is why Flamurtari didn't send there paperwork in before last Friday, given that they would have known there opponents the previous Friday, and their address in the UK by early last week, once they had confirmed their travelling arrangements.

EDIT: That said I favour the old school approach that teams competing should at least be European in a geographical sense - Israel, Kazakhstan!? :blink:

To be fair there are sensible - non-footballing - reasons for Israel playing in Europe, but I don't really understand the reasoning behind Kazakhstan and perhaps even Azerbaijan being "European".

Did Motherwell have to obtain Visas to get into albania? If we did then I can only assume its easier for us to get into their country than it is for them to come here. basically, we had a week to sort out entry to their place.

No. Until last December you payed 10 Euros on entry to Albania, but that was done away with and EU nationals now get in free.

Dont know if this will apply to European countries but they let you fill out your visa form on the plane to the states before landing and being granted permission by immigration to pass border control. You just simply fill in a form with your residency during your stay. Also they ask you some questions about your visit and how much money you have to spend. If you are on working duties and not just a visitor then its a totally different ball game and visa applications have to be submitted well in advance.

aye if your british, try doing that if your albanian or lebanon or from somewhere else shite and you'd be on the first plane to gitmo.

Did Motherwell have to obtain Visas to get into albania? If we did then I can only assume its easier for us to get into their country than it is for them to come here. basically, we had a week to sort out entry to their place.

A British passport holds a lot of weight in so many countries and provides you a level of protection your average johnny foreigner citizen wouldnt get, and much easier entry to so many countries. Probably to do with the empire all those years ago.

If you have done any independant travelling to 'out there' places, you can see the reactions on the faces of the folks at the various passport control stations when you pull out that British passport.

I have no idea why some people give up their passports or attempt to punt them on. Its one of your most valuable possesions.

Anyways, imagine what the team at Pie and Bovril would have to say if the cheats, fluked their way into europe for playing clean football, and then cheated their opponents out of the competition due to visa requirements.

It's a non-story. Slow news day where the Ugly Sisters are concerned, so they have to fill their pages with some kind of nonsense.

It's standard procedure for it to take a couple of days to process visas, especially when it involves large groups, so no conspiracy there.

Only question is why Flamurtari didn't send there paperwork in before last Friday, given that they would have known there opponents the previous Friday, and their address in the UK by early last week, once they had confirmed their travelling arrangements.

Are you based in Albania. Don't suppose you know if the game is on the TV over there??!

That's a visa waiver. The US has an arrangement with some countries, including the UK, that allow this and is only applicable for visitors. If you are travelling to the US for work, you need to get the appropriate authorisation beforehand.

Gutted, Would have liked to see Motherwells new signings play and beat this mob as they are pash.

Will UEFA give us a 3 v 0 score.

there messing us about, they have known they are coming to the UK for over 1 month.

Round 3 here we come.

Looks like the Border Control people are only trying to ensure that there are no dodgy Eastern Europeans looking to enter the country and perhaps not go back again.

Albanian footballers have a track record of disappearing when visiting the United Kingdom to play football matches.

It's happened at least once when England played Albania in a qualifier (can't remember if it was Euros or World Cup) when quite a few of the team absconded.

And if I remember correctly there were a few other instances.

Obviously the Government mandarins haven't forgotten.

Gutted, Would have liked to see Motherwells new signings play and beat this mob as they are pash.

Will UEFA give us a 3 v 0 score.

there messing us about, they have known they are coming to the UK for over 1 month.

Round 3 here we come.

No I think it the game will be awarded 2-1 to us :lol: