Stephen Hughes Signs For Norwich

gunn

ten of the best performances i've ever seen from a motherwell midfielder and it's disapointing that people can be so dismissive of someone who delivered so many highs in a motherwell shirt, the likes of which we'll be very fortunate to see again any time soon.

I agree 100% with you mate.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think much of Frankie Boyle - too much Scotland-bashing by a Scotsman for my liking, and I'm not brainwashed by the sensationalism of the Daily Mail - strange how a comment about a wee lassie who's gone missing could lead you to such a curious conclusion.

If you don't think the world, or Britain in particular, is too politically correct, then I'm sorry to say that you, sir, are part of the problem.

Given I wasn't remotely offended by your joke I think I can say I'm not to politically correct.

That said political correctness, however you understand it is far from the top of any sane persons list of what is or isn't wrong with the country or the wider world. Political correctness to blame for the banking crisis, don't think so? Political correctness to blame for robbing bastard politicians fiddling their expenses? Is political correctness to blame for any war currently ongoing? Is political correctness to blame for people dying of any number of curable ailments throughout what was once and may still be described as the 3rd world? Is political correctness to blame for sectarianism in west of scotland? Is political correctness to blame for anything really all that important in the grand scheme of things?

As it is I take the view of comedian Stewart Lee that political correctness is an, "an often clumsy negociation towards a kind of formally inclusive language," and despite the odd bit of madness is not the huge society ruining social evil you seem to think it is. I'm sure you could provide an example or two I'd happily agree is mad but at the same time it is not killing anyone or the planet.

As for my conclusion it a tongue in cheek comment based on your fixation with political correctness gone mad that I expect of a Daily Mail or Sun columnest and the frankie boyle part due to a similar penchant for jokes that tend to be a distinctly black sense of humour. Note the comfort with which I use the term black sense of humour without panicking over excess political correctness. <_<

hughes was a class act and we'll miss him a lot. his form for the first few months of last season was fairly poor but he was supposedly playing through an injury and not training. no one can deny however that he put in some of the greatest midfield performances by a motherwell in many, many years and you'd probably need to go back to a young phil o'donnell to see performances that matched some of hughes.

rangers home sept 07

hibs away in the league cup 07

aberdeen home nov 07

hearts away dec 07

dundee united home 07

hibs home 08

celtic away 08

hibs away 08

rangers home 08

st mirren away 09

ten of the best performances i've ever seen from a motherwell midfielder and it's disapointing that people can be so dismissive of someone who delivered so many highs in a motherwell shirt, the likes of which we'll be very fortunate to see again any time soon.

That's the problem thats it. A 'class' act is overstating things because if he is that good then he would be signing for a better team than Norwich.

QUOTE (Frazzle @ Jul 22 2009, 03:57 PM) post_snapback.gifGet a grip of yourselves. The three people who have criticised my post are a sad indication of the world we live in these days. I wish I had as little to worry about as you three.

Ok friend, point taken maybe I should be a little more thick skinned. It's just that I know parents close to me who have lost young children and it wrecks lives. I'm sure you meant nothing by it. Peace. :D

Back to the fitba best wishes Stephen Hughes!

I am in a similar position as the guy above and maybe we should all be a bit thicker skinned. Anyway, Peace from me also. :)

Also agree, good luck Stephen.

Though Norwich are a big club by League One standards, I'm still surprised they can offer players seven grand per week. It's a lot of money, but if they can continue to sell out Carrow Road and thus make the required revenue, they will be ok I'm guessing. Good luck to Hughes, a nice little earner for the lad.

That's the problem thats it. A 'class' act is overstating things because if he is that good then he would be signing for a better team than Norwich.

he had many more good performances than those, just in my opinion those were exceptional ones and up with some of the best i've ever seen in claret and amber. which other midfielders have we had in the past ten years who could match those performances. phil always showed class but didn't dominate games. lasley's best performances were mainly beside hughes. pearson only played to his potential half a dozen times. brannan? no. valakari or alan mccormack, more perspiration than inspiration. kerr had a couple of great games but 20xs as many shockers. hughes is good as we've had it in midfield for a long time and to make out he won't be missed is daft.

norwich were in the premiership not long ago and are only in the state they're in because they stupidly let glenn roeder (wanker) ,peter grant (retard) manage them for a while. even when they're struggling they get 20,000+ crowds and i wouldn't be suprised to see them do a leicester this season.

he had many more good performances than those, just in my opinion those were exceptional ones and up with some of the best i've ever seen in claret and amber. which other midfielders have we had in the past ten years who could match those performances. phil always showed class but didn't dominate games. lasley's best performances were mainly beside hughes. pearson only played to his potential half a dozen times. brannan? no. valakari or alan mccormack, more perspiration than inspiration. kerr had a couple of great games but 20xs as many shockers. hughes is good as we've had it in midfield for a long time and to make out he won't be missed is daft.

norwich were in the premiership not long ago and are only in the state they're in because they stupidly let glenn roeder (wanker) ,peter grant (retard) manage them for a while. even when they're struggling they get 20,000+ crowds and i wouldn't be suprised to see them do a leicester this season.

He never dominated games at all thats just wearing blinkers now. He was a decent player for us thats all he couldn't lace O'Donnel's boots. He was far too inconsistent to be a 'class act' . You said it Norwich were in the premiership not that long ago. Hull were in league 2 but now there one of the big boys. Would you choose Norwich because they used to be one of the big boys so did Bradford. He went to League 1 because that is his level and he will get a sensational wage for that league. Let's not distort the facts here.

He went to League 1 because that is his level and he will get a sensational wage for that league. Let's not distort the facts here.

.........And why is this a problem for some people??

Im not getting at the guy i've quoted here im getting at a few others ive read recently.

What on gods green earth gives any motherwell fan the fucking right to comment on a players ambition because they went to league 1 etc in england.

Lets not forget that the standard of football in the SPL right now,ESPECIALLY outside the old firm (who are a joke themselves in their standard of play) is a laughing stock to most countries in europe. Yeah a few players might come along to the old firm to play in europe every year and get decnet wages but the scottish league is a total disaster right now and motherwell are one of the 8 clubs who are 'nothings' in the scheme of things. They don't win anything and play for a top 6 place in a league of 12 teams every season - can we just get that stright here? When we talk ambition i wouldn't class that FACT as any more ambitious than a team in league 1 or any other league in england for the matter. The difference is in england you get paid a helluva lot more for the privilege of fucking about year in year out achieving nothing more than stability.

That's a few times this week i've seen 'lack of ambition' trotted out over players leaving Motherwell and it's honestly made me laugh out loud at times.

Are we forgetting that if it wasn't for league reconstruction (twice) Motherwell would have been in the scottish league one and god forbid would probably have wilted into oblivion by now.

Motherwell....rangers...celtic....any other club in the SPL....when players leave to league 1, i would almost consider it a side-step....... such is the absolutely awful state of football in Scotland right now.

I wouldn't blame ANY player for wanting to leave scottish football with the lack of money being invested in the game, the lack of talent in the game, and the lack of support either.

It's our league so we love it,we live for it - but lets not try to be elitest when our top flight is no stronger than most other countries slightly lower divisions.

I wish Shug all the very best, he is without doubt a very skillful player although he rarely dominated midfield as much as we hoped. His goals return was disappointing too, but I don't think we can complain too much about his overall contribution.

Motherwell....rangers...celtic....any other club in the SPL....when players leave to league 1, i would almost consider it a side-step....... such is the absolutely awful state of football in Scotland right now.

disagree. i think the city clubs and us would have been about championship level last year. there are different levels of league one clubs though. getting 7 grand a week to play in front of 20,000 crowds is always a good move from motherwell. if he'd went to hartlepool or walsall it would have been a step down.

.........And why is this a problem for some people??

Im not getting at the guy i've quoted here im getting at a few others ive read recently.

What on gods green earth gives any motherwell fan the fucking right to comment on a players ambition because they went to league 1 etc in england.

Lets not forget that the standard of football in the SPL right now,ESPECIALLY outside the old firm (who are a joke themselves in their standard of play) is a laughing stock to most countries in europe. Yeah a few players might come along to the old firm to play in europe every year and get decnet wages but the scottish league is a total disaster right now and motherwell are one of the 8 clubs who are 'nothings' in the scheme of things. They don't win anything and play for a top 6 place in a league of 12 teams every season - can we just get that stright here? When we talk ambition i wouldn't class that FACT as any more ambitious than a team in league 1 or any other league in england for the matter. The difference is in england you get paid a helluva lot more for the privilege of fucking about year in year out achieving nothing more than stability.

That's a few times this week i've seen 'lack of ambition' trotted out over players leaving Motherwell and it's honestly made me laugh out loud at times.

Are we forgetting that if it wasn't for league reconstruction (twice) Motherwell would have been in the scottish league one and god forbid would probably have wilted into oblivion by now.

I wouldn't blame ANY player for wanting to leave scottish football with the lack of money being invested in the game, the lack of talent in the game, and the lack of support either.

It's our league so we love it,we live for it - but lets not try to be elitest when our top flight is no stronger than most other countries slightly lower divisions.

Where I agree with most of what you are saying I think there is an argument for saying it lacks ambition. Firstly , in the SPL you have a chance at playing European football. Not every year i will grant you that. And IMO a player has a better chance of playing for Scotland when playing in the SPL than they do the Championship or League 1. I have stated several times that i don't blame players for leaving for the money just admit it. Honesty is all I want as a fan. Am I asking for too much?

He never dominated games at all thats just wearing blinkers now. He was a decent player for us thats all he couldn't lace O'Donnel's boots. He was far too inconsistent to be a 'class act' . You said it Norwich were in the premiership not that long ago. Hull were in league 2 but now there one of the big boys. Would you choose Norwich because they used to be one of the big boys so did Bradford. He went to League 1 because that is his level and he will get a sensational wage for that league. Let's not distort the facts here.

Nothing against Hughesy and good luck to him. But he rarely played well last season and not in big games. Can he hack it in League 1? I doubt it but we'll see. Failed to establish himself at Leicester.

go back to the performances i singled out, he dominated those games. if you can't accept that you're just being contrary for the sake of it.

Honestly I'm not arguing for the sake of it . For the record the 10 games you mention he was superb absolutely brilliant. No disagreement there. Where I differ from you is that apart form that over the course of 2 seasons he wasn't consistent enough to be a considered a class act. He was decent at best. There is nothing wrong with being decent I don't think we should overrate him just because he is a Motherwell boy and a few of us may know him personally.

Honestly I'm not arguing for the sake of it . For the record the 10 games you mention he was superb absolutely brilliant. No disagreement there. Where I differ from you is that apart form that over the course of 2 seasons he wasn't consistent enough to be a considered a class act. He was decent at best. There is nothing wrong with being decent I don't think we should overrate him just because he is a Motherwell boy and a few of us may know him personally.

in terms of our club he's a class act. apart from first spell phil and paul lambert he's probably the best midfielder i've ever seen in a motherwell shirt. name one other midfielder we've had since then who has put in ten performances like that? the guy had poor games but it's sad that some people seem to be happy that the one midfielder who could occasionaly reach for the stars has left while the likes of mcgarry and fitzpatrick remain.

there's a bit of what did the romans ever do for us here. apart from helping us to finish third, to play some of the best football we've ever seen and to almost pull off a miracle of getting to the top six last season, what did stephen hughes ever do for us? i think some people have forgotten how rank we were in the 16 months before mcghee arrived and could be in for a suprise if we sink to killie/st mirren levels of performance this season.

in terms of our club he's a class act. apart from first spell phil and paul lambert he's probably the best midfielder i've ever seen in a motherwell shirt. name one other midfielder we've had since then who has put in ten performances like that? the guy had poor games but it's sad that some people seem to be happy that the one midfielder who could occasionaly reach for the stars has left while the likes of mcgarry and fitzpatrick remain.

there's a bit of what did the romans ever do for us here. apart from helping us to finish third, to play some of the best football we've ever seen and to almost pull off a miracle of getting to the top six last season, what did stephen hughes ever do for us? i think some people have forgotten how rank we were in the 16 months before mcghee arrived and could be in for a suprise if we sink to killie/st mirren levels of performance this season.

Do you read my posts? I just said he was decent. For us that is good. I'm just saying he is not as good as some people (including yourself) are making out. Personally i thought Valikari was better and more consistent than Hughes even though he was a defensive midfielder. Anyway it looks as tho where I would give him a 7 out of 10 you are giving him a 9 out of ten so we will agree to disagree on that one and move on because this has taken an hour oot our live :lol:

A do agree that McGarry is pish.

:P

Do you read my posts? I just said he was decent. For us that is good. I'm just saying he is not as good as some people (including yourself) are making out. Personally i thought Valikari was better and more consistent than Hughes even though he was a defensive midfielder. Anyway it looks as tho where I would give him a 7 out of 10 you are giving him a 9 out of ten so we will agree to disagree on that one and move on because this has taken an hour oot our live :lol:

A do agree that McGarry is pish.

:P

as is fitzpatrick

in terms of our club he's a class act. apart from first spell phil and paul lambert he's probably the best midfielder i've ever seen in a motherwell shirt.

Although he was in the twilight of his career, Bobby Russell could make our team tick singlehandedly more often that Hughes did. In my opinion, naturally. I would also be tempted to say that Billy Davies was a better creative midfielder than Hughes. I'm not doubting anyone who says that Hughes is a gifted individual and I have read those that have said, inconsistent as he was, they would have rather had him +1 grafter as opposed to 2 grafters. I take the point, but the SPL is sadly a league where you have to win the battle for the right to play football. Stephen Hughes is not a battler. I think it was yourself who said that all of Lasley's best games were alongside Hughes. For me most of Hughes better performances were alongside Lasley or Fitzpatrick (in particular the Hibs CIS cup game, where Lasley gave Hughes the scope to run riot - his best performance in a Motherwell jersey that night). I'm not suggesting that Lasley made Hughes a better player, but I don't think Hughes improved Lasley either. It's all about combining the right type of players. I maintain to this day that Brian Kerr's Motherwell career would be viewed differently if he had had a fit Lasley to play alongside in his last season.

I bear Hughes no ill will, in fact wish him well. But I'm not overly worried about how much we'll miss him...

hughes was probably the most important cog in the free flowing fitba machine we had under mcghee. two of my favourite ever memories as a motherwell will always be the two nights we walked out of easter road after completely destroying hibs. you cannae beat an away win and for us when we get one it's usually through sheer effort and a little bit of luck. those two nights at easter road we walked out with our heads held high becasue we had played hibs off the park and actually looked like a proper football team that people would want to watch on tv and talk about down the pub (unfortunately no one ever saw those games) rather than just scrappy wee motherwell. he along with mccormack allowed that to happen and for me posters talking hughes down now (the same as they did about rossco) devalues those moments and the other great performances we've witnessed over the past two years.

all the best Shug - anyone would be crazy to turn that money down(unless you are the elite few)

i also thought he was class the first season then drifted out of it in the second. however, i'm not making excuses, be he was a FOOTBALLER, someone who thrived with theball at his feet. Last season we just couldnt do that - we didnt and couldnt play football.

I've heard two stories about Shug, one that he wasnt offered a new contract with us - if he was, he would probably have signed and the other that he was offered a contract, but his pay rise was £50 a week