Stephen Hughes Signs For Norwich

gunn

bobby russell or a young gary mac pissed on hughes :P

To be fair, the two guys you mentioned are two of the most gifted footballers I've seen at Fir Park (either for or against us), so not exactly a criticism of Hughes to suggest that he couldn't match up to them. I only mentioned Russell as someone else was stating that Hughes was the best he'd seen for us other than O'Donnell and Lambert...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whats this thread got to do with when you were born :wacko:

i compared hughes to the best motherwell midfielders i've seen. i was at fir park when bobby russell was playing but i was more interested in jumping about the rocks behind the porthole windows than assesing midfielders. but if we're going back so far to find guys who were better (and they are legends) i don't think we can complain too much about his contribution. and whoever said valakari was a better player is mental.

the part timer bit was a wee joke about your fishing trip winding up folk about not going to albania.

i compared hughes to the best motherwell midfielders i've seen. i was at fir park when bobby russell was playing but i was more interested in jumping about the rocks behind the porthole windows than assesing midfielders. but if we're going back so far to find guys who were better (and they are legends) i don't think we can complain too much about his contribution. and whoever said valakari was a better player is mental.

the part timer bit was a wee joke about your fishing trip winding up folk about not going to albania.

IMO he was. Far more consistent for a start and rarely went missing. I thought we agreed to move on? :wacko:

IMO he was. Far more consistent for a start and rarely went missing. I thought we agreed to move on? :lol:

i didn't agree anything :wacko: . simo was one of my favourite players but he's completely different to hughes. the reason he's been mentioned alongside the likes of gary mac, bobby russell, lambert and phil is because they are all ball players. when simo arrived he couldn't trap a bag of cement and although he improved himself hugely through hardwork (which deserves huge credit) he wasn't a natural footballer by any means.

fair do's mate :lol:

the amount of people who were biting was unreal,every motherwell fan does there bit :wacko:

i didn't agree anything :wacko: . simo was one of my favourite players but he's completely different to hughes. the reason he's been mentioned alongside the likes of gary mac, bobby russell, lambert and phil is because they are all ball players. when simo arrived he couldn't trap a bag of cement and although he improved himself hugely through hardwork (which deserves huge credit) he wasn't a natural footballer by any means.

I did say that when I mentioned him that he was different but a was just thinking of midfielders

Given I wasn't remotely offended by your joke I think I can say I'm not to politically correct.

That said political correctness, however you understand it is far from the top of any sane persons list of what is or isn't wrong with the country or the wider world. Political correctness to blame for the banking crisis, don't think so? Political correctness to blame for robbing bastard politicians fiddling their expenses? Is political correctness to blame for any war currently ongoing? Is political correctness to blame for people dying of any number of curable ailments throughout what was once and may still be described as the 3rd world? Is political correctness to blame for sectarianism in west of scotland? Is political correctness to blame for anything really all that important in the grand scheme of things?

As it is I take the view of comedian Stewart Lee that political correctness is an, "an often clumsy negociation towards a kind of formally inclusive language," and despite the odd bit of madness is not the huge society ruining social evil you seem to think it is. I'm sure you could provide an example or two I'd happily agree is mad but at the same time it is not killing anyone or the planet.

As for my conclusion it a tongue in cheek comment based on your fixation with political correctness gone mad that I expect of a Daily Mail or Sun columnest and the frankie boyle part due to a similar penchant for jokes that tend to be a distinctly black sense of humour. Note the comfort with which I use the term black sense of humour without panicking over excess political correctness. :lol:

Great post for a Stephen Hughes thread. :wacko: FFS don't attempt to be a smart arse as you have failed miserably, move on eh??

Great post for a Stephen Hughes thread. :lol:FFS don't attempt to be a smart arse as you have failed miserably, move on eh??

Not as much as yourself seeing it wasn't even a reply to your good self. See by pointing all that out you just attract more OT posts on the thread. Nice thinking. :wacko:

More than any other player Hughes was the reason for 07/08 IMO. Not my very favourite well season but the highest level I have seen us play, we were ace.

I think he'll do well at Norwich no bother - very best of luck Shug.

Don't agree. There is one reason why we went from running away with third before Christmas to struggling over the line by May - The loss of Phil O'Donnell and I don't just mean his death and the aftershock that followed. If he had not died and was playing on the park, or we had someone of his footballing ability, with the ball and the footballing brain we would have got third at a canter.

McCormack in November/December, Clarkson and Porter once again have to take much of the credit too, as they didn't receive much help firing us to Europe from our attacking midfielder maestro.

McCormack in November/December, Clarkson and Porter once again have to take much of the credit too, as they didn't receive much help firing us to Europe from our attacking midfielder maestro.

hughes (as well as clarkson) put in a superhuman effort in the home game against hibs in march 08 that effectively saved our season.

and while phil did always did a good job for the team i think you'd struggle to point out any games where he was outstanding. he was also chasing shadows in the late parts of many games as he didn't have the fitness levels.

hughes (as well as clarkson) put in a superhuman effort in the home game against hibs in march 08 that effectively saved our season.

and while phil did always did a good job for the team i think you'd struggle to point out any games where he was outstanding. he was also chasing shadows in the late parts of many games as he didn't have the fitness levels.

:O

I'm sorry but that is THE most ridiculous statement I have ever read on this site.

Stuart.

So because you can name 10 games where Hughes played a blinder in over 68 games you think that makes him more vital (better?) than for 20(don't have the exact stats in front of me) games O'Donnell showed up, controlled the midfield and went about his business without the need to be a fancy Dan makes him less important? The one player we have not replaced in 1.5 seasons under McGhee (and now Gannon maybe?) was O'Donnell. Funny how the not so important central midfielder has not been replaced but we've struggled last season, with Hughes especially struggling to recapture that form.

I would, if possible ask you to watch every game from August to December of 2007 and you'll see O'Donnell with lack of fitness (although I think he was probably our fittest Midfielder at the time - if you ignore the niggling injuries but for energy, stamina etc.) and all calling the shots from midfield, without getting much attention from the media for it.

How about the game he played the day he died? The whole team was outstanding that day but I certainly think Phil was. O'Donnell was a massive loss to Motherwell in every sense, we struggled badly without him at times.

I'm sorry but that is THE most ridiculous statement I have ever read on this site.

Stuart.

i've got a pretty good memory and i don't recall phil getting too many motm's on here in his second spell at the club. and he did struggle in the later stages of games, in the 3-0 victory against aberdeen, the snow game at tynecastle and the ibrox game on boxing day he really, really struggled to keep up with play. he never wasted a pass when he got the opportunity and he was smart enough to be two steps ahead of most players but his physical limitations meant he couldn't dominate games the way he did in his first spell here. regardless of everything that happened after that, i had conversations along those lines with several people after those games.