Steaua Vs Motherwell

rab_mackinnon

Nancy,by a fair distance, were the best side I saw at Fir Park last season.

Aye, Nancy were (and probably still are) a far better side than the Old Firm. Partly because they are a good technical side, and partly because the Old Firm are shite.

I'd expect a similiarly difficult tie. Although, how many of us believe we could actually have scraped through if McGhee hadn't fucked up big style with the tactics?

If Gannon gets the tactical side of the game spot on again, then we could be in luck.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nancy,by a fair distance, were the best side I saw at Fir Park last season.

I agree.

Watching from an unfamilair South Stand, I felt that had Nancy needed to step up a gear, it would have been easy for them to do so. Unlike Dortmund, where I felt we competed up until the sending off, Nancy, as I recollect, really was men against boys for the whole match.

I do, however, believe we can progress in this tie and this is probably the best time to play Steaua. Someone before mentioned the heat and I also believe decent pitches could help us.

Much that I've been impressed with Gannon's start (excepting his first game), I am not 100% confident that the 17 to 21 year olds can perform similarly in the winter mud.

SD

Aye, Nancy were (and probably still are) a far better side than the Old Firm. Partly because they are a good technical side, and partly because the Old Firm are shite.

I'd expect a similiarly difficult tie. Although, how many of us believe we could actually have scraped through if McGhee hadn't fucked up big style with the tactics?

If Gannon gets the tactical side of the game spot on again, then we could be in luck.

Could have? Mibbe. Would have? Not so sure. I think playing one up front over in Nancy was the sensible thing to do but it should have been Clarkson or more likely Porter doing it. the fact that he brought Bob Malcolm from nowhere near the team to start both games is a decision of McGhee's I will never understand. And deciding to go three at the back for the first time since 94/95 for the home leg was also baffling. And Hughes at right wng back.

Christ, when I list it like that, it's a wonder we didn't lose 8-1...

Nancy were technicaaly gifted, yes. But they were also strong and fast. There may have been more technically gifted players in both Old Firm teams last season, but the boys from Nancy could barge people off the ball then play football. Not something you would think of Nakamura or Ferguson.

I don't expect Steaua to be as tough an ask as AS Nancy were. Were we going into this game with the Motherwell team of November 2007, I'd be predicting us to go through. As it is, we're going in with kids and signings we know very little about. How anyone can make an accurate prediction of how this tie is going to pan out is beyond me. Enjoy it for what it is. A European tie against a team whose name conjurs up all sorts of mystique.

I mean, of course, for us fans to do this. For us to have any chance of going through, the players must play against the team Steaua Bucharest rather than the name Steaua Bucharest. Must confess that having a team half full of kids might be an advantage on that score...

Could have? Mibbe. Would have? Not so sure. I think playing one up front over in Nancy was the sensible thing to do but it should have been Clarkson or more likely Porter doing it. the fact that he brought Bob Malcolm from nowhere near the team to start both games is a decision of McGhee's I will never understand. And deciding to go three at the back for the first time since 94/95 for the home leg was also baffling. And Hughes at right wng back.

Christ, when I list it like that, it's a wonder we didn't lose 8-1...

Nancy were technicaaly gifted, yes. But they were also strong and fast. There may have been more technically gifted players in both Old Firm teams last season, but the boys from Nancy could barge people off the ball then play football. Not something you would think of Nakamura or Ferguson.

I don't expect Steaua to be as tough an ask as AS Nancy were. Were we going into this game with the Motherwell team of November 2007, I'd be predicting us to go through. As it is, we're going in with kids and signings we know very little about. How anyone can make an accurate prediction of how this tie is going to pan out is beyond me. Enjoy it for what it is. A European tie against a team whose name conjurs up all sorts of mystique.

I mean, of course, for us fans to do this. For us to have any chance of going through, the players must play against the team Steaua Bucharest rather than the name Steaua Bucharest. Must confess that having a team half full of kids might be an advantage on that score...

Your right there, I haven't mad an accurate prediction this whole Europa League run. However it doesn't stop me trying :cheers:

Ruddy

Saunders Craigan Reynolds Hammell

Humpherys Lasley Forbes Jennings

Murphy Sutton

You're not the only one, but I have to ask the question? Why are so many people certain that Ruddy will be better than Fraser? If having seen him in action, you think that, then fair enough, but there's a few people rushing to get this guy in the team...

Aye, I can't imagine the guy is fully match fit. He hasn't had much of a preseason, and he certainly hasn't seen much first team action in the past 12 months. Despite Fraser's frailties, it would be a gamble dropping him.

Remember, Ruddy was 3rd choice at Everton, so not a lot of chances in first team games there.

You're not the only one, but I have to ask the question? Why are so many people certain that Ruddy will be better than Fraser? If having seen him in action, you think that, then fair enough, but there's a few people rushing to get this guy in the team...

coz frazer's pish!!!!!!!!!! :excl:

Aye, I can't imagine the guy is fully match fit. He hasn't had much of a preseason, and he certainly hasn't seen much first team action in the past 12 months. Despite Fraser's frailties, it would be a gamble dropping him.

Remember, Ruddy was 3rd choice at Everton, so not a lot of chances in first team games there.

That and the fact that he doesn't really know the back four. Fraser, for all his frailties (that's what they are, he's not shown himself to be "pish"), has at least had a chance to work for a month with the defenders who will be in front of him.

The belief that Fraser is some sort of terrible goalkeeper seems to stem from that first leg against Llanelli when no one covered themselves in glory. Neither of the goals against the Albanians could be described as goalkeeping howlers. He seems a bit of a bombscare on crosses, but I'm not sure how that makes him any different from any other goalkeeper we've had in the last 15 years...

Your spot on. I'm no Fraser's biggest fan but the people blaming him for Flamurtari's goal in the away leg haven't a clue about football. It made me laugh though :excl:

am no blaming him for the flamurtari goal but a just dont thimk he's motherwell material as i've seen him quite a few times playing with ICT

Fraser is pish, there was a few times in the game last week when he came running out and completely missed the ball. Think it may of been there disallowed goal. And i think that a third choice everton keeper has got to be better than a second choice inverness one?

I cane wait to see ruddy be the first choice goalkeeper as fraser looks dodgy as fuk pretty much all the time and he's so unpredictable.

He seems a bit of a bombscare on crosses, but I'm not sure how that makes him any different from any other goalkeeper we've had in the last 15 years...
I think that if we ever get a big centre half that's good in the air, a lot of problems for our keepers would disappear. Jim Leighton used to be useless at cross balls too, but McLeish and Rougvie took care of that department, and let him take care of the shot stopping.

Fraser is pish, there was a few times in the game last week when he came running out and completely missed the ball. Think it may of been there disallowed goal. And i think that a third choice everton keeper has got to be better than a second choice inverness one?

I cane wait to see ruddy be the first choice goalkeeper as fraser looks dodgy as fuk pretty much all the time and he's so unpredictable.

I do think he's pish am no arguing with that, what I am arguing with is alot of people's tendancy to blame a player that they dislike for everything that goes wrong and the Flamurtari winner in the away leg is a prime example.

And i think that a third choice everton keeper has got to be better than a second choice inverness one?
Maybe. Or maybe there is a reason he has been shunted around on loan and never made it past 3rd choice. The question is, do you take a gamble in such an important game or go with what you know and leave that experiment for later?

Well im no blaming him solely but i do think he could have done better with that and at least got a hand to it .

he had very very little time to react though with his view being blocked, he did well to even react to seeing the ball before it hit the back of the net

I'm one of the few who has seen all four Europa League games in person.

Fraser has looked uncomfortable in every game.

I admit that a number of players looked uncomfortable in the first leg against Llanelli.

Rather than bringing on the likes of Lasley and McHugh last week, I would have liked to have seen the Pole come on for the last 30 minutes or so.

I'm not the kind of person who will describe any professional as 'pish'. (Well maybe, Derek Townsley, come to think of it). ;)  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. :excl:

However, I would be very very nervous if Fraser ends up as the prominent 'keeper this season unless he improves dramatically. He might be a good shot-stopper. What I'm hearing about Ruddy is that he commands his six yard box particularly well.

Time for bed, I think.....

SD