Steaua Vs Motherwell

rab_mackinnon

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Telly you what, quite a few Romanians think this game is in the bag for them and all they need to do is turn up. Some comments there for the dressing room wall on Thursday night. High balls? Us? Ok, if you think so...........

Rumour has it we'r playing 3 at the back on thursday night, Hutchison Craigan and Reynolds.

Not what i would have expected but in the messiah we trust.

Certainly not what I would have expected either but it seems Gannon doesn't rate anyone highly enough to play at right back so what other option do we have? Play 3 at the back.

Of course it could work unbelievably well or totally bugger us up but, even though we (the fans) are taking this competition fairly seriously Gannon still needs to work on tactis, shape and formation for the new season - so why not?

At least we can push O'Brien up more. Actually can believe come the start of the season we will see a Motherwell team with pace - Slane, Humphrey, O'Brien, Coke(?), even Forbes isn't slow.

In Gannon we trust!

Thank you very much for your reply Robyn. You gave me the quality information i was expecting. :lol: Now I can say i know a little more about Motherwell. This is what playing in Europe is all about...you can`t get bored because every year you can get to play against different oppositions, with different styles, and most of all..most of the times you dont know what to expect! (as one of you has said in an anterior message) :thumbup:

Some of Steaua's recent European wins:

Steaua 2-1 Besiktas (UEFA Cup 2004/05)

Steaua 2-0 Valencia (UEFA Cup 2004/05)

Steaua 4-0 Lens (UEFA Cup 2005/06)

Heerenveen 1-3 Steaua (UEFA Cup 2005/06)

Betis 0-3 Steaua (UEFA Cup 2005/06)

Steaua 2-1 Standard Liege (Champions League Qual. 2006/07)

Dynamo Kyiv 1-4 Steaua (Champions League Group Stage 2006/07)

Steaua 1-0 Galatasaray (Champions League Qual. 2008/09)

So you've beat Liege and Dynamo Kiev. Well we've gubbed Llanelli and an Albanian waiters X1. Not to mention Ma Pa 47 away. What about our famous away win in the San Giro 2 seasons ago. :thumbup: .Bet you cannae top that . :lol: . Albeit our scorer Lappin has moved on.

i have been trying to reply here for ages and by the time my account was enabled one million other Romanian fans joined :cheers:)

most people who pride themselves as intellectuals in Romania are unanimous about Becali. the man is an idiot and every one of his press conferences is funny for the wrong reasons. his statements are only outdone by his crowbar-on-Maybach antics. his latest comment regarding the Thursday game was something along the lines of 'we can't be scared of motherwell. had they been called fatherwell, we might have had some doubts, but they're only a small mum'

now, all of this would be a whole lot funnier if he wasn't chairman of our club. he is the main reason behind our lacklustre last season and the fans chanted and protested against him for the whole 2nd half of the season, which didn't help the team either, as for the most part the fans would just shout and sing abuse at Becali. attendances also dropped significantly,

this season is a bit of a new beginning though. our new coach is not willing to let Becali spoil everything and so far seems to know how to deal with the madman. he is also visibly a better coach than our last 3 which Becali appointed based on aspects such as 'ill put X cause he's a fan favorite and maybe the fans will love me too'.

so far the season is looking promising but we'll have to see what happens when we lose a few games, that's when Becali usually springs into action. :rolleyes:

cant wait for thursday!!

That's a ridiculously impressive record of European wins.

I reckon even a Motherwell team consisting of McFadden, McDonald, Porter, Hughes, Clarkson, McCormack, Pearson etc would do well to even beat one of those teams in a one off.

I think we could get a pumping, that said, it wouldn't be a disgrace, and if the tie still has life in it come next Thursday this must be viewed as a major achievement.

Best of luck to the 'Well as this will be extremely tough.

This Steaua Bucharest bears no resemblence to any of those which achieved those results. Not saying they aren't any good, they are not to be feared. Respected yes, feared, not like they would've been a couple of years ago.

Some info on how to get to the stadium, since its located on the outskirts of the city somewhere in the west south-west part of the city :

- from Unirii Square ( Piata Unirii ) take bus 385 straight to the Stadium ( around 11 stops...ask around )...if you are located @ Universitatii Square ( Piata universitatii ) you can either walk to Unirii Square ( 10 mins walk ) and take 385, or take troley 69 until you reach Drumetu or Tricodava stop and walk from there to the stadium ( also 10 mins walk ).

- from Presei Libere Square ( Piata Presei Libere ) / World Trade Plaza take tram 41 straight to Ghencea stadium ( also around 12 stops ).you will pass by Giulesti Zoo that looks like a Stadium.don't get down there.Wait until you'll reach Ghencea

- From 21 Decembrie Square take bus 122 straight to Ghencea

click on the thumbnail and then again on the pic for large view stadium.th.jpg

See around the time Steaua were racking up those impressive wins that we are waxing lyrical about....Flamurtari were pumping Partizan Belgrade out of Europe, and creating a record against Barcelona of P-4, W-1, D-2, L-1

Sides of the past have no bearing on current sides. If we are intimidated by their record then we are already behind before a ball is kicked. Especially when the above shows that there is no reason to be.

See around the time Steaua were racking up those impressive wins that we are waxing lyrical about....Flamurtari were pumping Partizan Belgrade out of Europe, and creating a record against Barcelona of P-4, W-1, D-2, L-1

The wins I mentioned have been racked up over the past four years, not two decades ago.

Im talking about the european records that have been mentioned elsewhere. Many of us were intimidated by your European Cup wins, finals and semi-finals.

Of course Steaua are a club to be highly respected, but recent events have shown how things change over time, and while there will be huge respect it's important we dont allow that to turn into us being intimidated by the past.

@Al B: Alright then. I personally have a lot of respect for teams from the Isles and the footballing culture there, in general. I'd travel to London for some Champions League action this fall but -call me paranoid- the whole flu thing has got me a little worried, so I won't be buying any tickets just yet.

I'm sure both games will be interesting even for an impartial spectator. And I hope your players will enjoy the Romanians' gesture of applauding their opponents at the end of every home game.

843-160673-6.jpg

A lot of people speaks here about past performances of Steaua (1986 etc); this is nothing, but think about that in 2006,2007 and 2008 Steaua played in Champions League groups; for example last year in same period August 2008 we knocked out Galatasaray Istanbul.2-2 at istambul and 1-0 home. And galata is a big team :O.

Normally you don't have any chance, your only chance is that steaua players to relax and take easy those 2 matches. here in romania all the people is very very optimistic.. for example a couple hours ago our chairman said that Motherwell dosent have any chance, maybe if you were named Fatherwell was some chances for you.

So, you can profit about our very optimistic morale.

Also I heared that you have a lot of youngers in your team. The atmosfere will be very very hot for your team.About 20-25.000 spectators will encourage Steaua and is possible that your youngers to get very affected by the big pressure.

@Al B: Alright then. I personally have a lot of respect for teams from the Isles and the footballing culture there, in general. I'd travel to London for some Champions League action this fall but -call me paranoid- the whole flu thing has got me a little worried, so I won't be buying any tickets just yet.

I'm sure both games will be interesting even for an impartial spectator. And I hope your players will enjoy the Romanians' gesture of applauding their opponents at the end of every home game.

843-160673-6.jpg

that happens in rugby its gutten if you've lost but

If we can beat teams that have qualified for the Champions League Knock Out and Champions League Group Stages every year or so (The Old Firm), and manage to beat a team that won a European Cup in the 80's (Aberdeen) and tend to hammer another team that had a decent European Pedigree back then (Dundee United) then there is no reason why we can't do it again. Aye it's a tall order and a part of me thinks it will be our last round for this season. Saying that, I never thought we could have went to Celtic Park, go down to ten men and still win 1-0 two years ago.