McGhee The Waster

garymfc

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me that thinks a huge part of our success in McGhees first season was down to the very first 15 minutes at love street on the first day of the season?

Think there's some truth in that, although much of that first 15 minutes was probably in turn due to the preparations in Austria-- we probably had one of the fittest squads in the SPL that day, and for some time into the season.

Its in the Aberdeen Evening Express that he's now demanding talks with Aberdeen directors about how much money he's getting to spend. :thumbup:

It's just been on the Grampian news (yes I get that pish) that the dandy dons need to cut between £600,000 to £1M from there expenditure. They said they need an extra 4,000 fans at every home game, or need to get into the group stages of the europa cup with a big club just to break even. HAHAHAHA

Before anyone shoots me down I know that we will be no better off. It is just soooo much sweeter that it is HIM.!!! :lol:

Before anyone shoots me down I know that we will be no better off. It is just soooo much sweeter that it is HIM.!!! :thumbup:
I think the difference is JB appears to have planned for that loss of revenue ahead of time and taken fairly drastic and immediate action (even if it meant selling off some good players). Given the state of some other SPL teams, the appointment of Gannon seems even smarter now.

Aberdeen, it appears, had budget plans dependent on TV money, and no Plan B.

Think there's some truth in that, although much of that first 15 minutes was probably in turn due to the preparations in Austria-- we probably had one of the fittest squads in the SPL that day, and for some time into the season.

McGhee came in, got the players fit, installed a bit of confidence in them, done all the things that a competent manager should do (Remember we had Malpas for a year). That goal against St Mirren on the opening day of the season seemed to be the shot of adrenaline that took the club through the Autumn months. Rightly or wrongly the sad death of Uncle Phil, i believe, gave our players the determination throughout the rest of the season to finish the job irrespective of McGhee (The Hearts cup game at tynecastle being a good example). However, Mark must be applauded for the way he dealt with this situation.

I believe that the second season is the perfect gauge to judge Mark McGhee. His non-delivery of transfer targets, his bizarre team selections, two poor cup defeats. Yet on the other side he installed discipline in the players, played decent football on occasions whilst selling on players like McCormack and Porter and maintained our 'usual' league position.

Mark McGhee has never been an outstanding manager. He is a competent one. One that does the basics of management pretty well. McGhee and the players gave us one season of magic that wont be forgotten. Nancy Away, going to celtic park and winning, the hearts cup game, the dismantling of Dundee United that fateful day.

The after taste of Mark McGhee however, isn't a very pleasant one. He wont be missed by me.

I think Weeyins spot on. What we did late June/early July with the firesale is going to be replicated across the other clubs sooner rather than later. We are in the enviable position of having dealt with it early and have the full close season to bring in the new boys. Having a manager who moves quick in the transfer market has also been key.

I thought at the start of July we were really going to be up against it this season to avoid a relegation dog fight. With the manager, new signings and the talent of the youngsters Im quite optimistic. Whilst I dont expect us to romp to top of the diddy league, I think we could easily finish top 8 and out of any serious trouble. It will then give us a good platform for next season, unless of course celtic come in next season and take Gannon, Slane et all.

Add to the fact every year the bank basically force Aberdeen's Owner Stewart Milne to back the Club through his own company, which is also due to the current climate really struggling. Will be interesting to see if Milne can do that again.

I said it before he left, and I think it is now coming out that Aberdeen are not a bigger club than us when it comes to finances. They are very much up shit creek without a paddle, even compared to us.

Why are we still talking about McGhee.He has left and just incase some people were to busy moaning about him and didn't notice,we have got a new manager who has made a great start so why are yous still moaning about our previous manager and not praising our current manager?

Why are we still talking about McGhee.He has left and just incase some people were to busy moaning about him and didn't notice,we have got a new manager who has made a great start so why are yous still moaning about our previous manager and not praising our current manager?

So folk like you could come on and have something to moan about too! :thumbup:

We are in the enviable position of having dealt with it early and have the full close season to bring in the new boys. Having a manager who moves quick in the transfer market has also been key.

Absolutely spot on mate. I think there are a lot of clubs yet to deal with their incoming problems. In a way it's similar to the administration thing a few years back. It forced us to get our house in order while other clubs firefight their finances and continue to accumulate debt, we are in a position where that is not happening any more. Every club in the league will have to deal with debt problems (if they haven't already) and it can come as a short sharp shock in the way it happened to us or it can be done slowly by offloading players (how many 'sellable' players are there in the SPL ?). I firmly believe some will not survive this process. I'd rather be where we are than where some of the others are.

Fans talk about 'investing in the squad' but these days there is no such thing. Players on two year deals to get their next bosman move. Only the very richest teams can 'invest in the squad'.

Can you imagine what would happen in England if Sky went bust ????? :-)

:thumbup:

Can you imagine what would happen in England if Sky went bust ????? :-)
Indeed. It would be ITV Digital all over again. A huge number of Football League clubs went into (or close to) administration when that went bust and some are still struggling to recover.

Fans talk about 'investing in the squad' but these days there is no such thing. Players on two year deals to get their next bosman move. Only the very richest teams can 'invest in the squad'.

I do think though that the young protege's like Slane and Forbes need to be put on longer contracts. Getting 100k for Slane now would be gross incompetance when he can be kept for a couple of seasons to shine in the team and command a hopefully Faddy like fee in a few years.

Anyone taking bets on when the first press quotes attributable to Mutley will appear around the fact that he never got as much funds as he'd hoped for, the squad depth isn't as great as he would have liked, and thats why the Sheep are struggling in the bottom half of the table...? Whats the German for Schadenfreude again..? :cheers:

Naah seriously, am more and more impressed with JB's nous at getting in Gannon, a manager happy to work with young players, within budget constraints and who can mine the seam of talent in the English lower leagues. To what effect, we'll need to wait and see, but it's a great season in prospect, not so much in outright league position, but seeing what the young guys can do and how Gannon copes with the SPL. With how others are also struggling with finances and signings, it'll be an interesting playing field to say the least.

And to the poster who asks why are we talking about McGhee when he's gone? Because we can, it's out there, it's a subject for debate. Kinda like p*sh weather. And debate is what SO's about at the end of the day. :rolleyes:

I think the difference is JB appears to have planned for that loss of revenue ahead of time and taken fairly drastic and immediate action (even if it meant selling off some good players). Given the state of some other SPL teams, the appointment of Gannon seems even smarter now.

It all makes it a good time to be a Well fan...........Well actually it's always a good time to be a well fan.

I do think though that the young protege's like Slane and Forbes need to be put on longer contracts. Getting 100k for Slane now would be gross incompetance when he can be kept for a couple of seasons to shine in the team and command a hopefully Faddy like fee in a few years.

Abso-bloody-lutely matey. Thats the only way clubs like ours can survive.

When i talked about 'investing in the squad' I was meaning the kind of thing that jim McLean was a master at. Like getting some kid from a lower division team, signing him up on a 7 year contract and punting him on. That is the kind of thing that only the richest can do. (Man U, Ronaldo) Remember people saying Fergie had accidentally signed the wrong Ronaldo ?? :-)

Players that we've brought up and brought through should be on decent length contracts so that we can get the best out of them and still get a decent fee. Unfortunately, these days, agents are getting in the heads of young players and advising them against long contracts with the promise of big moves and big signing fees. As you say, if we allow these kids to slip away, that is just incompetance.

I personally am not moaning about. I like to call it gloating as we seam to be moving in the right direction.

I know this is a forum and all about opinions at all that, but I'm finding it really difficult to get my head around why anyone really still gives this much of a fuck about McGhee or Aberdeen.

Speaking personally, I'm childish about things like that (despite heading rapidly towards fifty).

If someone works you over, and I believe McGhee did, (improved contract etc etc etc), you like to see them fall on their arses. I really do hope McGhee falls flat on his c**t at Aberdeeen, or starts behaving like a ten bob hooker again and pisses the sheepy fans off.

It's not the most important thing in my life :cheers: but i'd love to see it happen.

McGhee has to finish 3rd or 4th and reach at least one cup final to keep the Aberdeen fans from his door. I really think he will struggle. Aberdeen have no money. We now have some money with lots of lads that can see an opening for first team football. Gannon has come in with a freshness not a lot of us could have predicted. He will drag Motherwell up by the scruff of their neck. I have to admit I was a McGhee fan for a long time and did stick up for the guy on more than one occassion but I do believe he has made a mistake for himself. On the plus side I think he has moved on at exactly the right time for Motherwell Football Club. In Jim Gannon we trust.

Gannon has come in with a freshness not a lot of us could have predicted. He will drag Motherwell up by the scruff of their neck. On the plus side I think he has moved on at exactly the right time for Motherwell Football Club. In Jim Gannon we trust.

Much more what I would prefer to concentrate on. :O

Excellent new manager, who is making all the proper noises, doesn't just talk a good job but actually does what he says he is going to do, knows the game and how to be adaptable and change things around as and when required, actually gives a fuck, new players, young guys getting chance, Europe, new pitch. I hope I'm not wrong but I think that Mr. Boyle has pulled off a bit of a master stroke with this guys. Also agree with Weeyin in that we have a bit of a head start over the other clubs who will need to do what we are doing sooner rather than later.

Onwards and upwards

C'mon the feckin Well.

Much more what I would prefer to concentrate on. :D

Excellent new manager, who is making all the proper noises, doesn't just talk a good job but actually does what he says he is going to do, knows the game and how to be adaptable and change things around as and when required, actually gives a fuck, new players, young guys getting chance, Europe, new pitch. I hope I'm not wrong but I think that Mr. Boyle has pulled off a bit of a master stroke with this guys. Also agree with Weeyin in that we have a bit of a head start over the other clubs who will need to do what we are doing sooner rather than later.

Onwards and upwards

C'mon the feckin Well.

I am not getting too carried away just yet. If we beat Steaua over two legs then fine, but I think we need to see where we are after a couple of months of SPL action to judge exactly what impact JG is making.

His management style is rather brusque and I am quite sure he will/has upset a few players already. He fell out with quite a few at Stockport. Would not be surprised to see some fall out over the coming months.

That said he is not here to make friends. Brian Clough was hated by quite a few players but he got results and that is what we as fans are primarily concerned about.