Biggest Turnaround I Can Remember

Bigwellfan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of that, there was a prize winning vegetable grower who died recently in M'well. There was a huge turnip at his funeral. :thumbup: taxi

Edit . Best turnaround ever 2-0 nil down to the Beggars at home in the 70's and we win 3-2. Wullie P smashes the ball home

Edit No2 but then we were 2-1 down at half time to come back to win 4-2 against said great unwashed . Take yer pick both make the hairs on yer neck stand on end

off the top of my head the biggest ( or greatest ) turnaround ive senn was when we were 3-1 down to the beggers in the first game of season and we wouldve won 4-3 if it wasn't for that C**t craig beattie scoring a late goalmouth scramble

That cost me fortune. Put a few £ on us to win the second half 3-0 at 100/1 and then bawbag had to score an equaliser.

1969 League Cup 1/4 Final

1st Leg - Morton 3 V Motherwell

2nd Leg - Motherwell 3 V Morton 0 (won 3rd game 1-0 at Ibrox courtesy of big Jumbo Muir)

1970 Texaco Cup 1/4 Final

1st Leg - Spurs 3 V Motherwell 2

2nd Leg - Motherwell 3 Spurs 1 (after being 0-1 down after 5 minutes)

1976 Scottish Cup 4th Round

Motherwell 3 V Celtic 0 (after being 0-2 down at half-time)

I seem to also recall us being 0-2 down to Dunfermline at half-time in an SPL game at FP which would have put us in the relegation shit when Stevie Cowan popped up and bagged a hat-trick to win us the game. He's fat, he's round, he's worth a million pounds, Stevie Cowan. Repeat. Repeat.

I have a friend who is a Thistle supporter who tells me that game is one of the real highlights of many Thisle fans' time watching football. I seem to remember when they equalised, you just knew they would go on and win it. They had a good support through that day as well.

out of interest, what the hell is/was the texaco cup?

It was a British Cup for the teams that just missed out on qualifying for Europe, when Texaco stopped sponsoring it the Irish teams dropped out and it became the Anglo-Scottish Cup. We had some cracking games with English clubs, I particularly remember the ties against Stoke, Coventry, Fulham, and that Tottenham match. It was the nearest we got to big European nights in those days, and the games seemed to attract pretty good crowds if memory serves. A lot of the highlights of my early days watching Motherwell came in the Texaco Cup.

http://www.rsssf.com/tablest/texaco.html

Here's a link to the scores and winners. In the early years clubs like Spurs, Wolves, and Newcastle took part in it, but the longer it went on England began sending the likes of Oldham, Notts County, and Bristol City from the lower leagues and Scotland took exception to this so we withdrew but not before Rangers had been put out by Chesterfield. I was at both of those games and to be fair the best team won.

A really bad memory for me sadly :mellow::( lived 20 mins walk from White Hart Lane , overjoyed with the draw, made an arse of the home draw and came up here for the first leg <_<:P:wallbash: Had to go back down for work and missed the second leg too :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: ........but totally enjoyed ribbing the spurs fans at work tho :lol::lol:

A really bad memory for me sadly :mellow::( lived 20 mins walk from White Hart Lane , overjoyed with the draw, made an arse of the home draw and came up here for the first leg :O:nod::wallbash: Had to go back down for work and missed the second leg too :wallbash: ........but totally enjoyed ribbing the spurs fans at work tho :lol::lol:

:lol::lol:

Fair play to you for admitting that, i think i'd have kept that to myself if that had happened to me.

Probably this. Did they not score both before 10 mins? Think something like 8 mins gone.

Yes, 7 or 8 minutes. Some, though not many, fans left at that point.

Jim Duffy was sacked by Hibs in the wake of this result which paved the way for Alex McLeish to replace him.