Gannon Targeting Top Six

Motherwell Seagull

Don't think anyone saying he already a legend, would need head examined if they did but people can and do get excited. Nothing wrong with it, if the bubble is horrendously burst then it'll be plenty of what we used to so may as well go along with the ride while it is good(as in nigh on untested at all) the manager is talking a good game, we got a few new faces(would like some more) and a few promising youngsters. We could finish 3rd we could finish last and opinions on the manager will change on a daily basis probably, enjoy the general positivity whilst it lasts.

I think McGhee did a good job for us and hold no hard feelings against him. He got us going in the right direction again and helped raise the club's profile. Any manager who gains back-to-back European Qualification for us is aww right in my books.

.... but long live the new Messiah Jim Gannon :lol: , i just hope he hangs around for 3 to 5 years to build a side that does us all pwoud(in the words Alex Ferguson)!! The way the Stockport fans spoke about him, gives me the feeling, we're into something good.

EDIT** That last bit got me singing the auld;

"Woke up this morning feeling fine, 4 cans of lager and a bottle of wine" :rolleyes: track from yesteryear

Gannon has played 6 lost 4 won 2, albeit 2 losses agains a pedigree team.

However based on pre season 5-7 will be our target going on our present form Aka Win Loose Win Loose.

I think there is an aura of Arsene Wenger about Gannon, he plays youth, as he doesnt want to break the bank and he develops them.

We all know Forbes and Slane have been class so far. Lets snap them up on 3 year deals and in a few years rake the rewards when Championship teams come in for them.

Still im awaiting new signings we are in need of at least a striker and a defenter.

Gannon a legend - not quite yet but things are shaping up to be so.

Obviously it's too early to say JG is a legend but I think it's inidicative of the feelgood factor which he has instilled early on that people are positive and upbeat - more so than you would expect at the start of a new season.

I think a lot is down to the fact that we lost a manager and a number of key players so there was a bit of "where are we going to end up?". Boyle has played a blinder in appointing JG and the Europa League provided us with THE best pre-season we have ever had - a six game run in Europe, some brilliant performances, emerging young talent......ok we only won 2 out of 6, but we've played 6 competitive ties before the SPL starts and there are definite grounds for optimism after those matches.

One way or another, I'm sure this will be another roller coaster and I cannot wait !!

Stuart.

I like the way Gannon is going about things at the moment. Too many one year contracts for my liking, but generally he's impressed me. Not proclaiming him a legend or the new messiah as of yet.

BUT what I am finding irritating is the revisionist behaviour of some Motherwell supporters on here. I wasn't McGhee's biggest fan :rolleyes: but up until a couple of months prior to the end of the season, there was a very small band on here who were willing to criticise McGhee. Now it's all the rage. One of two things is clearly happening here; people were either too stupid (or blinded by the media glare) to notice his flaws while he was here or they didn't have the balls to slag the man off when he was here. Either way, it is kind of nauseating seeing people who were saying "McGhee's a good manager, he'll be able to rebuild the squad" now coming out with "He'd have never been able to build a squad like Gannon has...". Right or wrong (time will tell which), at least I was consistent on McGhee.

It seems to me that whoever is the Motherwell manager, some people will assume the sun shines out of his arse...

I don't see a problem with having 'revisionist behaviour'. I think you can only make an opinion based on what you see at a particular time and after Season 1 we were looking at a Manager who had taken us to 3rd in the league, handled the Phil O Donnell situation with great dignity and was being touted for jobs with Scotland and Hearts. To make a decision that we have a good manager at that time is not unreasonable.

Season 2 was not so good and particularly towards the end McGhee began to show some weakness. That people should re-evaluate their thoughts is perfectly reasonable and actually fairly open minded.

If you saw these weaknesses in Season 1 and had the man pegged from the beginning then well done, you have more insight than most fans and certainly me, however I don't think there is a need to criticise supporters for changing their mind as more information became available as time went on.

For what it's worth McGhee may yet show us that he is indeed a very good manager. I will apply my revisionist thinking at the end of the season before calling it.

I like the way Gannon is going about things at the moment. Too many one year contracts for my liking, but generally he's impressed me. Not proclaiming him a legend or the new messiah as of yet.

BUT what I am finding irritating is the revisionist behaviour of some Motherwell supporters on here. I wasn't McGhee's biggest fan :D but up until a couple of months prior to the end of the season, there was a very small band on here who were willing to criticise McGhee. Now it's all the rage. One of two things is clearly happening here; people were either too stupid (or blinded by the media glare) to notice his flaws while he was here or they didn't have the balls to slag the man off when he was here. Either way, it is kind of nauseating seeing people who were saying "McGhee's a good manager, he'll be able to rebuild the squad" now coming out with "He'd have never been able to build a squad like Gannon has...". Right or wrong (time will tell which), at least I was consistent on McGhee.

It seems to me that whoever is the Motherwell manager, some people will assume the sun shines out of his arse...

To an extent I agree with you. I said before in another thread that sprung up before about McGhee that I'm of the opinion that there's more to be gained looking forward than looking backwards.

Personally my views on haven't changed and I share Infamous Wee Grafters opinion from earlier on in the thread that his time at Fir Park was both positive and productive. But if the debate comes up and some folk have revised their opinions on him then so be it.

I don't think its too much of a surprise that folk's opinions change when someone has left under a cloud. I remember for example the season after Tommy McLean left the anticipation on our bus going to Tynecastle knowing that we could put potentially put his team in a play-off if we beat them, whilst we had already secured Europe. You could rhyme off plenty players too in the same boat who did a turn, moved on and suddenly their achievements were never viewed as high as they once were.

Likewise while you might not be too far off the mark for a minority with with the folk believe the sun shines out the managers arse quip, I do genuinely think you will find a considerable body amongst the support who even in the most trying of circumstances will remain behind a manager/be as supportive as they can/accentuate the positives they can about the situation and only when that manager has changed will they reassess their opinions and be a bit more critical if the situation warrants it - The King is Dead, Long Live the King if you will.

Fuck sake get a grip would you.... my tongue was firmly in my cheek when i said he was a legend. I like the way he talks and Im very impressed with the way he is going about his business.... is that better.

Don't worry mate I got you. And they were accusing you of gouing OTT. :D

I like Gannon and I think he is quality. Maybe I am being to quick to judge and I make no apologies for that. For the past 3 years we have had a shit manager or a manager who was half decent but was all me me me and had no long term plan. Listening to Gannon it sounds as if he has a long term plan and wants to create a legacy if you like. Unlike some of you cynics here I believe him and intend to support him 100%. If we have a poor season and escape relegation by the skin of our teeth I intend to support him even more and hope the rest of the fans give him time and show him a little patience for once in their lives. If I am wrong and he turns out to be utter pish I will hold my hands up but in no way am I going to be cynical right form the start. Give him support and show a little positivity once in your lives ffs man.

Ye gods. You're not suggesting are you that we sit here like Trappist Monks, not saying a word, until half way throught the season. Of course fans are going to judge the manager on what has happened so far as that is all we have to go on.

Can you imagine four Motherwell fans meeting in a pub and asking "what do you think of the new manager?" and someone replied "No comment. We can't offer a view for a few weeks yet.

Folk aren't going over the top. They are just saying that the way he has handled himself so far has been impressive.

They'll soon descend upon him if we lose a few matches, so give Gannon a break until then.

I was by no means suggesting that people shouldn't express an opinion, indeed it is my opinion that some people are going a bit over the top with their opinions regarding Gannon.

I wasn't necessarily meaning seibsbarmyarmy as we all know there have been plenty of posts lavishing extravagant praise on Gannon on other threads. I have been impressed with his short time in charge so far but no more than I was after a similar amount of time with McGhee who I don't think anyone is likely to be proclaiming as a legend anytime soon. Hopefully I'll be even more impressed tomorrow if he's giving a post-match interview after an opening-day victory.

Season 2 was not so good and particularly towards the end McGhee began to show some weakness. That people should re-evaluate their thoughts is perfectly reasonable and actually fairly open minded.

If you saw these weaknesses in Season 1 and had the man pegged from the beginning then well done, you have more insight than most fans and certainly me, however I don't think there is a need to criticise supporters for changing their mind as more information became available as time went on.

For what it's worth McGhee may yet show us that he is indeed a very good manager. I will apply my revisionist thinking at the end of the season before calling it.

I appreciate what you say in your post but I'm talking about people doing a complete about turn, not simply a re-evaluation of their thoughts. People who were wanting him to stay even after the Aberdeen and Celtic jobs came up and he made it clear he wanted either one, were three weeks later saying that they were glad to be rid of him. Now I know that's the fickle nature of a football support, but when you type it and it's there for all to see and read afterwards do these people not get a bit embarrassed.

I'm not claiming to be right or wrong on McGhee. Or that I was so wise to spot flaws that others didn't. I was concerned in season 1 when we lost the home games to Hearts because in those games it was apparent to me that there was no Plan B. His signings were poor with the exception of Porter, Hughes and Hammell (it's taken another manager to get the best out of Sutton). Anyway, I digress. My point was simply that people have performed such a U turn of their opinion of his abilities in such a short space of time, it's embarrassing. As Andy P points out (I was only half kidding Andy) there is a touch of the King is dead, long live the King. And like you, I'm wary that all the gloating about Aberdeen's transfer actvity (or lack of) and their European result will come back to bite people in the ass.

Not that I'll need to revise my opinion 8) We could finish 10th to Aberdeen's 3rd and I still wouldn't wish him back here.

Jim Gannon has my full support. Not to say I won't say if I think that something is going wrong. Problem is that seemed illegal on here under McGhee. Let's hope we've learned from that...

Jim Gannon has my full support. Not to say I won't say if I think that something is going wrong. Problem is that seemed illegal on here under McGhee. Let's hope we've learned from that...
It was nothing to do with being illegal. It was just that some sensitive wee souls are not prepared to believe that, regardless of what you thought of McGhee as a person, taking us to 3rd in the league and playing some entertaining football was actually quite an achievement; especially after the Malpas debacle.

Too many people are wanting the world to be back and white, when there are plenty of shades of grey to discuss. Then there are the people who just like to take the contrary position to almost everything, often for no other reason than they enjoy a moan.

Too many people are wanting the world to be back and white, when there are plenty of shades of grey to discuss. Then there are the people who just like to take the contrary position to almost everything, often for no other reason than they enjoy a moan.

I don't know what you mean... :(

I can happily say I was one of the ones defending McGhee up until the end. Not because I thought he was impervious to criticism but because while he was our manager I felt it important to get behind him. That's not to say he didn't have flaws, some of them were plain to see.

I was a bit disappointed to see him leave to Aberdeen as the feeling was that we would struggle to get a manger to keep us playing good football. The big thing with Gannon coming in is that he seems to be addressing the areas where McGhee fell short. He's building a squad with long term plans, using young players and still managing to play good football so far. I'm sure there will be low points as well over the coming season but for now it's hard not to be excited about the year to come.

There's a feeling of a fresh start about the club and hopefully we're seeing the building blocks of a new generation of Well stars.

That dirty bastard Darryl Broadfoot has just predicted on BBC News that us and Accies are the certainties for the relegation battle. What a self-loving prick. This is a guy whose knowledge of football could be written on the back of a fag packet!! The best of it, he never even thought about it, just added us in. Motherwell done something to make you go in the huff? Stop wearing shirts that are too wee for you and using too much hair gel to poorly conceal your receding hairline.

That dirty bastard Darryl Broadfoot has just predicted on BBC News that us and Accies are the certainties for the relegation battle. What a self-loving prick. This is a guy whose knowledge of football could be written on the back of a fag packet!! The best of it, he never even thought about it, just added us in. Motherwell done something to make you go in the huff? Stop wearing shirts that are too wee for you and using too much hair gel to poorly conceal your receding hairline.

You are being too kind on Mr Broadfoot. His knowledge of football can be written on a postage stamp :whistling: