Gannon Targeting Top Six

Motherwell Seagull

From http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_5488747,00.html

Well boss confident ahead of new SPL season

Motherwell boss Jim Gannon sees no reason why his side cannot achieve a top-six finish in the SPL this season.

Well finished seventh in the standings last time around, although this summer new manager Gannonspacer.gif has overhauled his squad.

Gannon replaced Mark McGheespacer.gif and says the optimism is there to improve on last season's seventh-placed finish.

Optimism

"There is a certain amount of optimism and excitement that we may finish in the top six," said Gannon.

"The squad has been dismantled since last season and even they were only able to claim seventh place. So we would like to think we would at least achieve that.

"Then we would look to strive further over the course of the season by bringing young players forward who can make this club much more competitive over the next 18 to 24 months."

In my eyes this guy is a legend already. Talks a really good game and speaks a lot of truths.

Its a joy to have a manager whose head is not so far up his own arse that he farts Colgate.

When McGhee came in everybody was impressed by how well he talked about the game and his comments about the team were absolutely lapped up. Then again, he was hot on the heels of a manager with a completely different approach to the media.

Like McGhee, Gannon will be judged by the successes of his team, not over one season but over his total managerial reign. I've got nothing against him and hope he does extremely well but I think some people need to calm down slightly.

I see where yer coming from Daver but with McGhee it just seemed like self-serving 'media-speak if you like but with Gannon there appears to be a nit of genuine passion there - not to mention insight. And it's not just the words - it's the acttions. No faffing about saynmg the squad won't do and then humminmg and hawing for the longest time - but it's been "we need THIS and THIS and some of THIS and HERE is how I think we casn get these guys we need" and, before you know it, BAM, he's done it.

The words are great, but the actions are talking louder.

In my eyes this guy is a legend already. Talks a really good game and speaks a lot of truths.

:D

He's lost 4 out of 6, once each to Flamurtari and Llanelli AFC, not even played a league game and he's a legend?

He does talk a good game but talking is the easy bit. No one knows what is going to happen, let's wait and see before we afford him legend status!

:D

He's lost 4 out of 6, once each to Flamurtari and Llanelli AFC, not even played a league game and he's a legend?

He does talk a good game but talking is the easy bit. No one knows what is going to happen, let's wait and see before we afford him legend status!

Getting sent aff though in our European game certainly helps his burgoning legend status.

it's been "we need THIS and THIS and some of THIS and HERE is how I think we casn get these guys we need" and, before you know it, BAM, he's done it.

Malpas brought in players and for the most part they were all shite. Signing up players doesn't make you a good manager.

As for the signing policy I'm a bit puzzled because McGhee was obviously aiming at a higher standard of player to bring in. He failed to do so but if he HAD brought in players from Shrewsbury, Northampton, Basingstoke etc, he would probably have been heavily cricitised for doing so.

For some reason Gannon can do this and be praised when others would be getting pelters, probably because the squad was so denuded of folks will take anything to bring the numbers up.

Remember McGhee had to bring in players that were better than the squad we already had, Gannon is having to bring players into a squad that has very little competition from established first teamers. It's a different thing altogether.

I want to get really excited about Gannon and all the talk that he's a legend already and this season is gona be great, it probably will. but lets not get ahead of ourselves, the is Motherwell we all support. Forever hyping up our managers and getting the biggest slap in the dish for it EVERY time. Last manager we had ( in my eyes ) who was a legend and made a TEAM of legends was wee Tommy Mclean. Over ten years ago. Gannon is a long long way off that.

Time to go back to Fir park and back to reality. lets enjoy his press talk and see how it goes.

Hope really hope he is as good as he sounds, and as a young manager let hope Fir Park is where he makes his mark and his name.

Good Luck JG. :cheers:

As for the signing policy I'm a bit puzzled because McGhee was obviously aiming at a higher standard of player to bring in. He failed to do so but if he HAD brought in players from Shrewsbury, Northampton, Basingstoke etc, he would probably have been heavily cricitised for doing so.

For some reason Gannon can do this and be praised when others would be getting pelters, probably because the squad was so denuded of folks will take anything to bring the numbers up.

Another reason I suppose, is that Gannon has already established a reputation for finding and bringing through good young players, whereas McGhee was perhaps (and I do mean "perhaps") better at finding more established players on the cheap.

:cheers:

Spot on :nod: At this point I would be delighted with a top six finish. ABSOLUTLEY OVER THE BLOODY MOON with top four.

Remember McGhee had to bring in players that were better than the squad we already had, Gannon is having to bring players into a squad that has very little competition from established first teamers. It's a different thing altogether.

He'd have been criticised because it was he who said we had to bring in players who were better than we already had. That wasn't the case at all, we needed a bigger squad to deal with a full season and he failed miserably by setting his targets too high. Gannon's policy lies squarely with the way our club needs to operate, McGhee's was pie in the sky. Bob Malcolm one of the highest earners, humpffff!!!!!

I see where yer coming from Daver but with McGhee it just seemed like self-serving 'media-speak if you like but with Gannon there appears to be a nit of genuine passion there - not to mention insight. And it's not just the words - it's the acttions. No faffing about saynmg the squad won't do and then humminmg and hawing for the longest time - but it's been "we need THIS and THIS and some of THIS and HERE is how I think we casn get these guys we need" and, before you know it, BAM, he's done it.

The words are great, but the actions are talking louder.

When McGhee arrived he did sign the sort of players he was talking about i.e. Porter and Hughes so at that point he appeared to be following through on his words. I would dearly love Gannon's team to play as well as McGhee's team did for his first 6 months. As we all know McGhee was not as well thought of when he left and some weak points to his management were all too visible.

I just think it's a bit too early to be going over the top with Gannon just because he talks a good game.

I'm very impressed with the way the manager's handled himself so far although it's a bit early to proclaim him the new messiah. But, he's saying the right things, appears to be handling the players well and is building a squad for the long term rather than just the coming season. If he can deliver the goods on the pitch then we could be in really good shape for the next few years.

I just think it's a bit too early to be going over the top with Gannon just because he talks a good game.

Ye gods. You're not suggesting are you that we sit here like Trappist Monks, not saying a word, until half way throught the season. Of course fans are going to judge the manager on what has happened so far as that is all we have to go on.

Can you imagine four Motherwell fans meeting in a pub and asking "what do you think of the new manager?" and someone replied "No comment. We can't offer a view for a few weeks yet.

Folk aren't going over the top. They are just saying that the way he has handled himself so far has been impressive.

They'll soon descend upon him if we lose a few matches, so give Gannon a break until then.

I like the way Gannon is going about things at the moment. Too many one year contracts for my liking, but generally he's impressed me. Not proclaiming him a legend or the new messiah as of yet.

BUT what I am finding irritating is the revisionist behaviour of some Motherwell supporters on here. I wasn't McGhee's biggest fan :rolleyes: but up until a couple of months prior to the end of the season, there was a very small band on here who were willing to criticise McGhee. Now it's all the rage. One of two things is clearly happening here; people were either too stupid (or blinded by the media glare) to notice his flaws while he was here or they didn't have the balls to slag the man off when he was here. Either way, it is kind of nauseating seeing people who were saying "McGhee's a good manager, he'll be able to rebuild the squad" now coming out with "He'd have never been able to build a squad like Gannon has...". Right or wrong (time will tell which), at least I was consistent on McGhee.

It seems to me that whoever is the Motherwell manager, some people will assume the sun shines out of his arse...