What Makes A Legend

TvTotherwell

Nope, he buggered off to some imaginary job in Florida after he led us to the First Div title in 1982, in my opinion cos he wasn't confident enough in his ability to take us into the Premier League. We ended up with Jock Wallace who destroyed one of the most attack minded sides I've ever seen at The Ark.

Of course there was no job and he returned home, finding himself in ra Shellic hotseat later. His fault we got Wallace, never forgive him

Mentioned debating Davie Hay/Jock Wallace on another day in the Brian McLaughlin memories thread and this is how I remembered the story unfolding. :ph34r:

If some of the younger posters thought Mr McGhee was a whore, picture the scene on opening day in 1982... parading the championship flag around our hallowed turf pre match, (yes, we had turf in them days!) we had Big Jock applauding the blue hordes who chanted the chunts name in return! Then there was his attempt at ethnic cleansing in the dressing room and the arrival of Nicky Walker... we'd have been better signing Annie Walker!

Not normal practice, honest, but, I did a little jig when he was called to the great gig in the sky and that lot were falling over themselves at the open air masonic lodge proclaiming him to be a 'great'. Big Jock knew after all!

If some of the younger posters thought Mr McGhee was a whore, picture the scene on opening day in 1982... parading the championship flag around our hallowed turf pre match, (yes, we had turf in them days!) we had Big Jock applauding the blue hordes who chanted the chunts name in return!
So you hate when someone like Big Tel applauds the 'Well fans?

Not normal practice, honest, but, I did a little jig when he was called to the great gig in the sky and that lot were falling over themselves at the open air masonic lodge proclaiming him to be a 'great'. Big Jock knew after all!
I wasn't a fan of him as a manager, but I hardly think a 60 year old dying from Parkinson's Disease is a cause for celebration.

In my time watching the 'well i'd say Tommy McLean, Phil O'Donnell, Davie Cooper, The Kaiser and Faddy.

A very jealous someone certainly didn't like the esteem that The Kaiser was held amongst the fans...did you Mr Leitch?  :whistling:

Terry Butcher did a good job not even taking into consideration he literally had no money to spend on players, McGhee also did a good job, no matter if people didn't like him personally, take a look at the history books and see how many times we've finished 3rd this side of World War II and how many European qualifications we've had.

McLean is a legend because he won something but really, if you think about it we had three good seasons (one in a lower division) under McLean in, what was it, 10 years? I remember even before the cup final, being ecstatic that we finished 6th that season which was at the time the highest finish I'd ever seen us have in the league. Therefore McLean is also a legend because he got us up and kept us up in the Premier League (fortunately on occasion) rather than competing at the top end of the league.

Expectations have obviously gone up since those days.

For everyone that moans on here we've had a pretty successful few years. We've had 6 seasons when relegation was only really a concern once, a cup final, a couple of very unlucky semi final defeats, 3 top six finishes and 2 European qualifications.

You probably have to go back to the 1950's and early 1960's to get a comparable period of success for Motherwell.

For everyone that moans on here we've had a pretty successful few years. We've had 6 seasons when relegation was only really a concern once, a cup final, a couple of very unlucky semi final defeats, 3 top six finishes and 2 European qualifications.

You probably have to go back to the 1950's and early 1960's to get a comparable period of success for Motherwell.

100% correct. Whilst there's always a feeling that we 'could do better' at times, our recent history easily stands comparison with most other periods in the last 123 years.