Ticket Prices

patons02

Things the SPL (who produced £3M from the hat on the non payment of the Setanta dosh) could do to help and improve the state of play. remember the SPL are the 12 clubs. Funds could be made available to phase these in.

I still think there should be an optional / reciprocal 'season ticket plus' (even if these were roughly £30-50 extra) that could allow all teams clubs STplus holders to get in to away games FOC - all they need to pay is their travel. In the case of the OF and on occasion the edinburgh two - their would need to be a ballot. Non ST holders would pay as normal with a max price set for away fans.

(I'd much rather - if we were having them at all - primarily OF season ticket holders from the filth coming rather than the dregs we get at the moment and at least there would then be a possibility of some of them behaving)

Start now by allocating a percentage of the TV money to 'admission price reduction' this percentage should increase year on year. At least then the clubs know what's happening anc could plan for it.

Just a couple of random thoughts.

I just can't get my head round the idea that the SPL hasn't tried 'something' to fill the empty seats we see week in week out in stadiums.

Our game 'looks' like the Blue Square Premier when covered on Setanta (or Sky or ESPN) due to the lack of crowd even for those OF away games.

Try something different FFS! Although as we seen with our disastrous attempts last season - it needs to be every club and accross the board. if one club tries it in isolation they end up a laughing stock

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That wasn't a direct comparison I made to Hertha Berlin. It was a point regarding pricing. You can make the point about the larger fan base or merchandising, but I think it is still off the mark really. Not all teams in Germany are of that size, yet pricing is consistently cheaper than here. However, were we to follow that logic that it is cheaper to watch big teams, how would that explain the price of an OF ticket/season ticket, or worse still a EPL season book? Doesn't add up.

Football doesn't exist in a vacuum, in Britain it is much more expensive to run any business. We pay more for goods and services, more in rent, more in tax, more in wages etc, etc.

At the end of the day the balance sheet rules all. If prices come down, then investment in the team comes down with it.

Take your pick - but would you rather pay £18 to watch Motherwell or £10 to watch Clyde?

Jim, we pay it week in week out mate and sometimes we don't give it much though (well not as much as we should).

When you see prices for a game of football in black and white like that it's breathtaking - is it not? Only qualifying / defensive statement is that these prices are across the board in the SPL.

I actually looked at those this morning and thought about making your post almost word for word.

Completely agree.

It would be interesting to for the SPL to conduct an experiment, charging Bundeslige prices for a few weeks. The truth is no-one knows for sure whether lower prices would ensure significant enough gate increases to ensure financial viability for clubs.

Think that's a good idea. We have seen Boyle and, to a lesser extent, other chairmen try it for the occasional game but it might be a bit more successful if they ALL did it for, say, a month and at the same time. Give it a big push in the media and see what happens. Of course, the OF will baulk at the idea due to them loving the sheep-herd mentaility of their fans - they love the extra $$$ they can easily swindle out of them each week without complaint.

The teams in Germany, France etc. have a much larger source of income outside of gate money. A quick google showed that in 2007/08, for example, Olympique Lyonnais (who won the league that season) had a turnover of more than 117 million.

We can only dream of those revenues.

Loads of very good points being made here and I agree with loads of them. I won't make as many games this season and it is down to cash. I don't know what the answer is but I would love the OF to piss off to England and I think our game would grow as I do know a number of people who have lost interest in our game coz its the same old story year in and year out.

I hope the SKY/ESPN deal reminds people that we are still here but short term I don't think anything will change. Tho if we win the title this season .... ..... ..... ..... ..... .... :wallbash:

Football doesn't exist in a vacuum

I don't know about that - mean what business consistently takes the piss out customers on the pricing front as much as the football industry? Granted, the trains and telecoms people, but football regardless of die hard support isn't an essential service. It is a leisure expenditure and it costs an arm and a leg.

I don't think it is the taxation - Germany sits at around 30-33% Corporate Tax, higher than here, they pay a municpal tax and Solidarity Tax at 5.5% (to aid the reintegration of the East with the West). 

I don't think it is necesarily that our wage bills are higher either. Even at the smaller Spanish sides they would be paying more than us yet they remain cheaper.

We are never going to be turning over the kind of profit Olympique Lyonais or Hertha or so on can manage, but to my mind the price is still not adding up. I was in Copenhagen a few years back and took in a Brondy game against Espanyol. Cost about £15. Denmark is an expensive country, land, taxes etc, yet still cheaper than here. Have a look at their pricing, the best stand the Faxe costs 110 Danish Kroner, about £12/13.

We are getting fleeced.

However, were we to follow that logic that it is cheaper to watch big teams, how would that explain the price of an OF ticket/season ticket, or worse still a EPL season book? Doesn't add up.

very true, around £750 for mine this season, and that's just for the league games.

St Mirren charge people who are unemployed ten quid to get into the game.

Good on St Mirren. Football clubs are part of a community and to the fans are much more than a business.

Excellent points raised in this thread. The £2 ticket price for Steaua Bucharest was astonishing. How can they make it viable ? In the U.K. as a whole, and in England even more so, football is incredibly expensive. The wage inflation of players in England plays a big part, but how far can the clubs increase prices by before fans rebel ? I don't know, and after all, I'm stupid enough to put up with a big increase each year; for now at least. We all want to to see our clubs attract the best possible players and provide the best possible facilities, but for the avergae income family football is becoming a luxury, not a regular social event. A family of four, for example, can find themselves paying a fortune which restricts their ability to attend. But it's a tough one, as unless there are caps on player salaries and the like, what can the clubs do ? If they reduce prices, are they guarenteed enough extra fans to balance the books ?

What idiot actually sits down and works out these prices absolutely unbelievable pricing for the Rangers game. Adults: £25.00 (Phil O'Donnell, Davie Cooper and South Stands) / £20.00 (East Stand)

You not think a score is acceptable to watch the Old Firm in the East Stand? Remember if we want to milk the c***s for every penny we need to charge the South and the Cooper the same - but if you have a DC ST then you are fine.

WWIW, I think a £20 to watch the Old Firm is fine - the games are always worth going to for atmosphere, excitement and we usually raise our game and get it right up the pricks!

However, is it just me that thinks the price should be set at £15 for games agaisnt St Mirren, Falkirk etc.. This was what I thought the new standard price would be as it was the token price for the Euro games and workable - a tenner is too cheap as we would never get enough punters in. At £15 a few extra would head along and it is a fair price for SPL football.

I don't agree with an elevated ticket price against the OF. Leaving the dross aside, I think there are plenty of their fans getting rumped even more royally than us and dropping overall prices while charging more for those games would frankly play into the hands of outfits like their supporters groups and a media hungry for stories concerning Rangers or Celtic.

there probably should be some kind of system where fans are charged the same prices at every spl ground. 15 bucks max

this is far to sensible for the spl tho

Plus they won't stand up to the bigot brothers. Remember the ticket levy fiasco? A bunch of spineless bastards and that includes us.

B4 I get slaughtered I know there are many many fans that cannot afford a season ticket. So on that basis £20 may seem a little steep for each game.

But the fact is that if you bought your season ticket for the East stand before 31st May you would have got it for £243. Which if you divide by 19 league games + 1 CIS cup game? Then the average cost works out at £12.15 per game.

That is right just over £12 to watch an SPL game. How is that overpricing football??

The other truth is that if we reduced entry to say £15 for the whole season - you would be lucky to see an extra 1000 fans through the gate week in week out.

B4 I get slaughtered I know there are many many fans that cannot afford a season ticket. So on that basis £20 may seem a little steep for each game.

But the fact is that if you bought your season ticket for the East stand before 31st May you would have got it for £243. Which if you divide by 19 league games + 1 CIS cup game? Then the average cost works out at £12.15 per game.

That is right just over £12 to watch an SPL game. How is that overpricing football??

The other truth is that if we reduced entry to say £15 for the whole season - you would be lucky to see an extra 1000 fans through the gate week in week out.

It's not overpricing football (season ticket) but as you said, some people can't afford a season ticket, if someone is out of work it will probably be beyond them, but offer some kind of concession for people on a low income and people might go a few times a season. We assume students are skint, offer them a concession, offer pensioners a concession, juveniles the same and offer families different packages. So why can't the club do something for people who are unemployed or on a low wage?

£240 is still far too much for an SPL season ticket in my view. It is simply not value for money. I feel one of the problems is that the game in Scotland frequently gets compared to England and the ticket prices are set accordingly. The example of Denmark given above is much more instructive. I rarely venture to away games as I think 20 plus notes is a rip-off. Never thought I'd pick and choose away games but there you go. Once the habit is broken and all that...

Wasn't at the game on Saturday because of the cost, worked out cheaper to drive down to Bolton and watch them play Sunderland. Dont have a season ticket for the first time in a while and wont be at the game on Saturday, picking and choosing from now on im afraid.

I have a student season ticket at Bolton, £49 it cost, middle of the stand along the side of the pitch about 3 rows back. For that i could go to 19 games against top flight teams if i lived closer. Puts the prices up here to shame! I think equivalent seats to what we had up in perth would have cost about £10 for a student as apposed to twice that at St Johnstone. Quite depressing really that im not going to get to see my team as often this year but hey-ho.

It's only the under 18s ticket though that's such good value at Bolton though, but that really does encourage under 18s to support the club. Although Bolton did cut prices on all their season tickets this year. Good to see a club trying to attract more young people through the gates.

At £5 a gallon and a consumption of 40 per gallon a round trip to Bolton from Lanark approx 360 miles would cost £45. Perth on the other hand approx 140 would cost £18 add additional £10 for dearer ticket and it is still cheaper than a round trip tp Bolton

At £5 a gallon and a consumption of 40 per gallon a round trip to Bolton from Lanark approx 360 miles would cost £45. Perth on the other hand approx 140 would cost £18 add additional £10 for dearer ticket and it is still cheaper than a round trip tp Bolton

Unless he was driving delboy's motor (was it you with ridiculously low fuel cost estimates for Llanelli? Apologies if not.) which runs on watter just about <_<