Yesterdays Chants

CoF

264 members have voted

1. 1. General feeling...

• It's fitba, anything goes. Git it up him etc.
    • Unecessary, bad taste, over the top etc.

Whilst he should be congratulated and remembered positively for many things, I think he deserved stick for the way he conducted himself in his second season, however as I've said elsewhere I think our guys went too far in trying to be as controversial as possible.

As it stands McGhee looks squeaky clean and wronged - as our punishment doesn't fit his crime. Over the weekend in the papers McGhee can still justifiably peddle the shite "i should be a hero, I haven't done anything to deserve this" etc etc.

A bit more thought and still keeping to the 'controversial' - Maybe "Mark McGhee Prostitute" would have worked - maybe then the scottish footballing public and more importantly mark McGhee would know EXACTLY why we've changed our view on him.

As it stands McGhee wins. He's the wronged party - we're the cocks.

Agree fully Steve. I was sitting in the main stand above the Well dug out and I did not hear (or pick up- on) the paedo chants. If they were sung it is totally out of order but no one in the lounge after game mentioned this only the "f****n" chants. Nobody seemed particularly upset by this. The press have been given the oppurtunity to comment on something other than a poor game and suck up to "media darling" Mutley.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunatelyv it is the age we live in- I'd personally much prefer "witty" rather than " offensive" chants from our support- we are generally better than that.

As an aside, there is absolutely nothing funny about paedophillia and as such those chants were unacceptable- an unreserved apology from the club should be forthcoming.

I wasn't at the game but I think calling him a peado is a wee bit over the top although I do agree that the arrogant bastard deserves every bit of abuse he gets. Although by these chants we have given him the chance to gain the moral high ground and become a victim in some peoples eyes.

I do see that and also agree with the points about how juvenile it comes across and lacking imagination. However in the context of a football match I can't get to worked up about it, the chant is patently ridiculous and can't be taken very seriously.

It is also presumambly clearly designed to be as offensive as can be imagined and to get up McGhees nose, which seemingly it did. So in a sense without much subtlety a la ronseal does what it says on the tin.

That said I'd hope those that chose to sing it take on board some of the thoughts of fellow fans who found it offensive and stick to other chants in the future. Don't really give a toss about what the red tops misreport anyway but we don't quite so much petty bickering amongst ourselves and I also suspect that even if it not something actionable against the club just now if it were to continue in the future at a noticeable level it could eventually come back to cause problems. It certainly already probably dented our fair play chances! :-)

Most people agree the paedo chants were wrong and we have attracted a lot of bad press for this , however for so called Journalists to report lies is an utter disgrace, I have emailed the sun about this and don't expect a response.

dont ever buy their pile of crap not even as a bog roll substitute but lies like that could have consequences for the club.

Wonder if those responsible for the chants and the misguided efforts to defend them will feel so smug if these possible repercussions are applied :

Aberdeen Evening Express

It is understood that match delegate George Douglas will include the incidents in his report to the SPL.

The matter will then be referred to the SPL board, which has the power to deal with unacceptable conduct through punishments including reprimands, fines and even points deductions.

Considering we got our place in Europe through the Fair Play award (which was based upon favourable reports from match delegates) it's all just a bit sad.

Stuart.

Unfortunately I think our support has a problem that goes back a long way.

I'm not one of these people that thinks football stadiums should be sterilised of all emotion, because one of the great things about football is that it is so emotional BUT when things cross over into a sort of focused, irrational hatred then that's not acceptable and is just as bad Old Firm sectarianism, regardless if its against groups or individuals.

I wasn't at the game yesterday so I can't comment on what was sung or not sung at that match but some of the comments that are posted in this forum certainly fall into the category of 'focused, irrational hatred' and do not reflect well upon the individuals that make them.

You only need to look at the way our support often treats its own players and staff to see that there is an undeniable problem; a problem that has turned quite poisonous at times - remember the Davies era, or the abuse some individual players have suffered, week in, week out, regardless of performance or result that represents nothing more than bullying?

Only last week, during a match we won comfortably 3-1, there was a near fight in the East stand, when a 'supporter' rained constant and vile abuse on the team, was told to shut up, with violence only obstructed by several rows of seats.

Everyone gets carried away sometimes, especially when you are younger, but for anyone to justify or even fail to condemn these chants is unacceptable.

Like McGhee said "you do a job and that's the thanks you get". Is that the kind of support we are? Ungrateful and malevolent bullies?

The Evening Express is a total rag, so they're probably wrong on this too.

I can't see in anyway how the club could face sanctions as the chants clearly do not break any rule on sectarian, racial or homophobic songs as set down by the SFA.

There was a thread about a week ago following a SFA press release on teams being praised for their position in the 'disciplinary league' - we weren't in the top group. that table looked at referrals etc.

Seems like the SPL reverted to the 'fair play' table when they put us forward for the Europa League - purely a card count.

if the other had've been used we could have lost our place to St Mirren.

There was a thread about a week ago following a SFA press release on teams being praised for their position in the 'disciplinary league' - we weren't in the top group. that table looked at referrals etc.

Seems like the SPL reverted to the 'fair play' table when they put us forward for the Europa League - purely a card count.

if the other had've been used we could have lost our place to St Mirren.

Motherwell were recognised as having a good standard of discipline within the SPL, which, as I say, takes into consideration not only red and yellow cards, but also reports from SPL delegates.

The Disciplinary Analysis only considers red and yellow cards for not only SPL but also Cup competitions. Motherwell fell short of the commendation category.

Fair Play leagues and Disciplinary Analysis are completely separate reports. They have similarities since both draw on red and yellow card count, but they are not the same.

As I said on the other thread I think you've misunderstood his response; the reply as above stated that the Fair play league took the other points into consideration and it was via this we qualified for the Europa Cup.

The disciplinary analysis, for which St Midden were commended, only includes red and yellow card (but also includes cup competitions). Since we had two less yellows than the Middens with the same number of reds but also played one less; I still can't understand how they were commended and we wern't.

Wasn't at the game either but cringed with embarassment when reading about the chants.

Working in Glasgow surrounded by fans of the OF, I often like to pride myself in beleiving , "My team may never be as good as yours but at least I follow a team that is not followed by mindless, bigoted morons that spout pure bile for 90 mins."

Sadly this is just another thing that bursts the bubble I clearly live in when I think that supporting Motherwell represents some moral high ground over the dirty OF .

Whilst I truely beleive the majority of our fans are the dugs baws there is always going to be that element in our support that infuriate and embarass me.

Wasn't at the game but have heard our support using sectarian abuse before and have had an argument with someone over it :huh: . Don't accept for a second that it is acceptable to abuse someone with 'paedo' or 'f****n' chants and if this did occur then we deserve all criticism coming our way :wallbash:

We are meant to be Motherwell and we are/should be better than that.

All in all, McGhee's era as manager has more high points than low and he should be commended for that.

However, Gannon has come in and revitalised the club and this is what we should be looking forward to. McGhee's era is gone and Gannon's is commencing. Howabout we all concentrate on supporting our team and that way we can revel in any forthcoming successes. :cheers:

My old man started taking me to see the Dossers during the era of the Ancell babes.

He took me all the time but would never take me when we played the Old Firm as he didn't want me mixing with the scum that followed them. I didn't like it at the time but I can see where he was coming from.

I started taking my two to see the Well and both are now Dosser fans. One of the main reasons I took them was beacause I didn't wan't them eventually travelling into Glasgow to watch the OF. My son would probably have been brainwashed into going to Ibrox by his schoolfriends in Airdrie ( or maybe even The Excelsior)

Another reason was that I felt that they wouldn't be subjected to the bile and hatred that is spouted at football matches (usually involving the OF) I was of the opinion that this wouldn't happen at Fir Park and to a degree that has been the case until recently. They are now old enough to make their own decisions about where they want to go and I'm sure they will always be Dossers.

There is another thread on this site where people are asking when should I take my kids to the game. I know some posters are saying they will hear as bad at school but if we are being honest do we really want our young kids coming up to us and sayiny " Dad what's a paedophile" I know I don't.

I wasn't at the game and can't really comment on what was chanted but from the replies on here there were unsavoury chants coming from the Well support.

Is this really the image we want to give to anybody and especially our own future support.

I don't think so.

Mon the Dossers.

Keep Fir Park scum free.

:wallbash::cheers::huh:

Reading through the papers today was a sorry affair, half of nearly every match report was about all the chanting. Its a shame as its been such a great start to the season and there was a real feel good factor surrounding the club.

Then you get 50 pissed up morons wrecking the image of the club.

You don't see a group of Falkirk fans calling John Hughes a Child Molester or the Hibs fans calling Mowbary a Peadophile. Thats because they have just got on with it and realised that its a new era in their club.

The thing thats pissed me off the most is what Gannons reaction to this will have been, he must think we are shower of fuckwits.

So aye, what was the chant? No one answered me this.

Over on FPC - one of the guys has stated that "sad (or fat) f****** bastard" was being sung while others were singing "sheep shaging bastard". I've also heard this exact same thing from a couple of folk who were at the game.

Dunno if that's true - no reason to disbelieve the guys.

It doesn't surprise me to be honest. has been a low level of this going on for a long time witnessed it many many times at FP during my 35+ years.

There was not one chant of fat/sad f****n bastard at the game that was audible enough for myself to hear it, standing in amongst the singers or from the Aberdeen fans on AFC Chat and P&B have who have verified this to be the case.

Embarrassing stuff!!

i think Mcghee was deserved of getting abuse, as someone put earlier, he has acted like a prostitute and mercenary...however paedo and f****n i find an utter disgrace.....if anything f****n is worse to me as it is a chant that belongs on the terraces of Ibrox. I have supported Motherwell all my life along with my father and brothers and i am a catholic as is my son (who is also Motherwell daft) and i detest both Rangers and Celtic!!

I believe 90% of our fans are great and support our club exemplary but there is an element of our support that does have the "h*n without the bus fare" tag, which infuriates me!! i myself have also been told that i'm a h*n!! i just laugh it off but with reports of this at aberdeen we are just setting ourselves up to deserve this tag!!

i do think year after year this sectarian element is dying out at Fir Park, not quick enough tho in my opinion!!

We have started the season off brilliantly and we have a manager who is better in my opinion than McGhee!! Can we not just get behind the team & club and leave the sectarian crap to the old firm!!

There is another thread on this site where people are asking when should I take my kids to the game. I know some posters are saying they will hear as bad at school but if we are being honest do we really want our young kids coming up to us and sayiny " Dad what's a paedophile" I know I don't.

I've quoted the above because I totally agree with the statement.

But the reality is, that kids DO hear the most unsavoury things at school and process the information in their own way. I know I did. I've stated before that my father was a Steelman all his life, and I know that he would have used ripe language in the heat and passion of a game, and this would have been at a time when women generally didn't attend matches. So, historically, its been a situation where, appropriate to the times, anything went.

However, there is a new low in sections of support from every team in the SPL. Its just thuggery with colours, and because we've become inured to it week in, week out, there's a reluctance to acknowledge that a line should be drawn in the sand. I've never understood the

need to get bladdered before a game, to have to be told who scored, what happened on the pitch at a later time. But then, thats horses for courses.

Sensitivity and standards are not neccessarily for older supporters, as some on this forum seem to think.And the minute someone has a go at standards of behaviour, the replies become personal and ridiculous.

Embarrassing stuff!!

i think Mcghee was deserved of getting abuse, as someone put earlier, he has acted like a prostitute and mercenary...however paedo and f****n i find an utter disgrace.....if anything f****n is worse to me as it is a chant that belongs on the terraces of Ibrox. I have supported Motherwell all my life along with my father and brothers and i am a catholic as is my son (who is also Motherwell daft) and i detest both Rangers and Celtic!!

I believe 90% of our fans are great and support our club exemplary but there is an element of our support that does have the "h*n without the bus fare" tag, which infuriates me!! i myself have also been told that i'm a h*n!! i just laugh it off but with reports of this at aberdeen we are just setting ourselves up to deserve this tag!!

i do think year after year this sectarian element is dying out at Fir Park, not quick enough tho in my opinion!!

We have started the season off brilliantly and we have a manager who is better in my opinion than McGhee!! Can we not just get behind the team & club and leave the sectarian crap to the old firm!!

THERE WAS NO f****n CHANTING FOR FUCK SAKE

maybe now everyone will get the message.

THERE WAS NO f****n CHANTING FOR FUCK SAKE

maybe now everyone will get the message.

Niel I can understand your frustrations but from where I was sitting in the main stand it certainly sounded like "sad F****** barsteward" although I did hear from someone who was there and who was actively particiapting that it was in fact "sheep shag** Barsteward" that was being sung. However, it was "interpreted" by folk at that part of the ground where i was as being sectarian and that was being talked about post game (and funnily enough not the paedo chanting).