Yesterdays Chants

CoF

264 members have voted

1. 1. General feeling...

• It's fitba, anything goes. Git it up him etc.
    • Unecessary, bad taste, over the top etc.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sunday Mail stated yesterday that there were sectarian chants of 'f**ian b@stards' from the 'well support as well as the 'paedophile' chants.

Today, the Daily Record (the Sunday Mails sister paper) mention nothing of sectarianism. What does that tell me? That the journos have made a mistake, in their claim of bigotry from the away fans. We are in no position to 'pull' the papers up for their error but please can we stop going on about the sectarian chants because they quite simply never happened at Pittodrie.

The paedo chants are another story, but we're going round and round in circles with this one as well. Some people thought it was the best way to annoy McGhoo and it worked, others thought that it over-stepped the mark. Their will be no inquest from the SFA, SPL or whoever as no laws have been contravened as well as the fact that other clubs fans (rangers and celtic) sing much worse.

So lets leave it at that.

I liked Steve Diggles, 'Mark McGhee's a prostitute' song and might try and give that an airing when the sheep arrive at Fir Park. :rolleyes:

The paedo chants are another story, but we're going round and round in circles with this one as well. Some people thought it was the best way to annoy McGhoo and it worked, others thought that it over-stepped the mark. Their will be no inquest from the SFA, SPL or whoever as no laws have been contravened as well as the fact that other clubs fans (rangers and celtic) sing much worse.

This sums it up perfectly for me!

The Sunday Mail stated yesterday that there were sectarian chants of 'f**ian b@stards' from the 'well support

And as those who were at the game are adamant no such chants were made, will the club be approaching The Sunday Mail to demand an apology ? What do you think 'Flow ?

As for other chants at McGhee, I said on the other thread that chants about child abuse go way beyond banter, IMO, and that's not to single out Motherwell. Wenger was subjected to it again at Old Trafford. Some of those participating would have been there with their own kids ffs :rolleyes: .

And as those who were at the game are adamant no such chants were made, will the club be approaching The Sunday Mail to demand an apology ? What do you think 'Flow ?

As for other chants at McGhee, I said on the other thread that chants about child abuse go way beyond banter, IMO, and that's not to single out Motherwell. Wenger was subjected to it again at Old Trafford. Some of those participating would have been there with their own kids ffs :rolleyes: .

Don't think we are in a position to ask for an apology or retraction from the press, due to the 'other' stuff that we have put our hands up for.

The Club would look pretty stupid.

I was at the game with my bird, who is Catholic and a Celtic fan, and she'd be the first to assure anyone that there were no sectarian chants, and no uses of the word fe**an whatsoever.

Also, i've heard first hand plenty of times, chants of "wee boys...ye only shag wee boys...ye only shag wee boys...." towards Celtic fans from ourselves, United fans, Hearts fans and Falkirk fans (others might sing it as well, but those are the only other teams games i've been to).

Not debating whether it's right or wrong.....but why highlight it this time? What's the difference?

Also, i've heard first hand plenty of times, chants of "wee boys...ye only shag wee boys...ye only shag wee boys...." towards Celtic fans from ourselves, United fans, Hearts fans and Falkirk fans (others might sing it as well, but those are the only other teams games i've been to).

Not debating whether it's right or wrong.....but why highlight it this time? What's the difference?

The context isn't the same. I think your example can pass as shite playground patter directed at a group of supporters. The intensity and venom directed at one man turns it into a very personal attack and that's what people have found so shocking.

The difference is it's not true in this case!

Im not a fan of McGhee anymore but the treatment he received on Saturday is embarrassing to all Motherwell fans, and he is owed an apology, it wont happen though. Really has put a downer on a positive start to the season.

I liked Steve Diggles, 'Mark McGhee's a prostitute' song and might try and give that an airing when the sheep arrive at Fir Park. :rolleyes:

Yer whole post made perfect sense but that bit in particular is a brilliant idea.

I think the main difference is the game was crap and there was not a fat lot else to talk about. Also Scott Davie being a sensationalist managed to wiggle a quote out of McGhee about it. To be fair to McGhee Davie asked him twice before he answered. I wasn't at the game and the fact we annoyed McGhee doesn't really bother me one way or another and deep down I suspect he doesn't give a shit either but what does annoy me is the way that this incident tarnishes the club, it makes us look less attractive as somewhere kids can go and be safe and will reduce the number of folk following Motherwell in years to come. From the outside looking in we look like a right shabby lot. After the incident in Wales its been a sad few weeks for our fans - whether what was chanted on Saturday was on the right side of the law or not is not the point, it was on the wrong side of decency and perhaps its time as a fanbase we have a think to ourself whose reputation we are damaging.

Don't think we are in a position to ask for an apology or retraction from the press, due to the 'other' stuff that we have put our hands up for.

The Club would look pretty stupid.

You have a point there, mate, which also underlines the counter-productive effect of those chants, but the press shouldn't be able to exaggerate what occurred by introducing unfounded accusations of sectarianism; accusations which could do a lot of harm.

Really?

The only people that seem to look negatively on the whole matter are the consistent moaners on here. You're replica kit has a wee tag on it because you've actually worn it. Now the big bad boys are chanting false obscenities to the opposition.

My God, Whatever next? Yer pie is too warm at the game?

The Difference is that McGhee is a media darling, I mean, How dare we insult him?

I don't think anyone on here has ever said 'don't insult McGhee'

However waht loads are saying is that they don't think it's right to take an extreme insult with no base on reality and just throw it at the guy.

be fuckin clever and think of something relevant to his character or his behaviour and exaggerate that. Don't just throw in 'paedophile' from out of leftfield.

FFS are you guys just no' getting this at all?

Attention seeking fuckwits - being ever so controversial so that THEY are the focus of attention and NOT the guy you're intending to upset.

Youz should all try to be referees

Really?

The only people that seem to look negatively on the whole matter are the consistent moaners on here. You're replica kit has a wee tag on it because you've actually worn it. Now the big bad boys are chanting false obscenities to the opposition.

My God, Whatever next? Yer pie is too warm at the game?

That's just bullshit Fraz and you fuckin know it!

I don't think it is, the media have dropped all interest in the subject. Other than on here it will be forgotten. Even by McGhee.

Also, I wasn't meaning that people on here said don't insult him. If those chants were towards, say, Jim Jefferies there would be nothing made of it in the 'Public Media'.

I don't think it is, the media have dropped all interest in the subject. Other than on here it will be forgotten. Even by McGhee.

Also, I wasn't meaning that people on here said don't insult him. If those chants were towards, say, Jim Jefferies there would be nothing made of it in the 'Public Media'.

I don't think McGhee will forget about it for a while.

All day I've had muppets coming up to me saying "what about you lot on saturday?" - (to which I reply "I know - wee pricks")

Everybody's tarred with the same brush due to the shabby patter. it's fuckin rubbish man!

You said

And as you know that is indeed bullshit

It's up to yerself though - if yer proud of it batter in. I'm pissed off because folk lump us all in the same bucket of shit.

I don't think it is, the media have dropped all interest in the subject.

Published Date: 31 August 2009

SOME games don't leave a mark so much as a stain. A goalless, chanceless, soulless football encounter at Pittodrie might make a minor memory only because of the mindlessness of about 50 Motherwell fans.

Some of the abuse meted out to Mark McGhee, who left the Fir Park club in the summer for Aberdeen, was rightly described by him as "disgusting" and "totally out of order". Indeed, there may be an SPL knuckle-wrap for the Lanarkshire club over offensive choruses from their supporters that labelled him a "sad f****n bastard" and a "paedophile". There should be.

First paper I read this morning. Seems to be some interest there. You can call it double standards all you like, but the media loves bad publicity for clubs like ours - deserved or not.

That article is almost word for word the same as an article I read from yesterday. 80 or 90 words on something is absolutely nothing.

I don't support what has happened but I don't condemn it either. I've not heard anyone utter it other than self righteous Motherwell fans who wern't there but are all too happy to take the media's view on board and not that of the people who were there.

If calling him a paedo is bad, then why was no one up in arms when considerably more people sang it at home to Celtic. Im also sure there would have been more utterences of 'f****n' on that day too.