The Squad

MelvinBragg

Simple question  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Is this season's squad better, worse or about the same as last season's...?

• Better
    • Worse
    • About the same

I'd say we're about the same.

I think claiming we have a better squad is perhaps optimistic rather than realistic.

I think Gannon has done well to fill the gaps left by players leaving in the summer, but I'd still expect us to finish around 7th again this season.

this is a better subject for mid october once weve played everyone in the league, at the moment there are just too many variables. Lets be realistic, Its a new manager, 9 guys gone,8 new players in as well as 7 youngsters progressed from the 19`s. We have a 27 man 1st team squad now with an average age of 22 which is incredible . These guys have only played a handful of games together and while some have looked the business others have been slower getting up to speed.

Numbers wise were stronger,a lot stronger! quality wise? we will find out soon enough but early impressions are that we are potentially stronger in every area apart from up front

I say BETTER

Last years starting 11 was better, but I think given the fact we actually signed some c***s - the SQUAD is better.

I'd agree with that, we now have a squad to speak of. Time will tell of course on the quality of that squad but reckon, on the evidence thus far, we are in a better position than this time last year. Ups and downs will follow of course but I'm impressed by what Gannon has brought to the club, both in terms of personnel and the general good feeling about the place. Long may that continue.

And the key question that as far as I can see has not been mentioned..............

What is our wage bill this season compared to last season?? McGhee did do us a turn but it must not be forgotten that it also led to a significant hike in the wage bill.

I would guess that we have shaved approx £5-10k per week off the wage bill with this squad and I would argue that apart from attack we seem to have more options and cover than the last two seasons.

Top 6 may just be beyond us, but having said that Aberdeen and Hearts this season look a lot weaker and only Hibs and DDee UTd look potentially stronger. So maybe not.

Sure as hell wont be boring whatever the outcome.

If I'm honest I think it's far too early to tell.

I believe if we get a top six finish this season Gannon will be well pleased, because, unlike McGhee who looked for the quick fix to see his star rise, Gannon appears to be building for the future and that leads me to believe he may be here for the long haul. I would bet that Gannon doesn't think it's better than what was here last season, but I'll also bet he thinks it has the potential to be better next season.

I voted worse, purely because we have lost a lot of goals over the last year or so with McCormack, Porter and Clarky all leaving and I don't think we have replaced any of them! Hopefully we will get more goals from midfield as I dont see Sutton or Murphy hitting 15 each.

However I do think the midfield is much stronger, Slane and Forbes are like new signings as is JO'B who looks like a new man. Also Coke looks the part and Hately looks like he can do a job, jury is still out on Hump and Jennings but at the least they bring depth along with McGarry, Las and Fitzy so this area is much stronger.

Defence is much the same glad we got a right back in as I dont think Saunders will last a full season but he has shown potential! Hutch looks a great prospect and Reynolds looks more steady so all good

Only place we are worse off is up front and it could be the area which makes the difference between top 6 and bottom 6.

I take your point, Broony, but we've introduced a centre-half who's already scored three goals, and Forbes has chipped in with a couple aswell. For the last six months, we only had Clarkson to score goals and that was a huge problem. Hughes, Klimpl, Malcolm, McGarry, Fitzpatrick, Smith, etc didn't even get near double figures between the lot of them, but with O'Brien and Slane bursting into the box and Forbes hitting rockets from all over the place, we'll be much better placed to be spreading the goals around the team, which is a good thing.

I voted worse, purely because we have lost a lot of goals over the last year or so with McCormack, Porter and Clarky all leaving and I don't think we have replaced any of them!

It's a fair point but we a more even spread throughout the team now so we don't have to rely on the strikers quite as much as before.

I take your point, Broony, but we've introduced a centre-half who's already scored three goals, and Forbes has chipped in with a couple aswell. For the last six months, we only had Clarkson to score goals and that was a huge problem. Hughes, Klimpl, Malcolm, McGarry, Fitzpatrick, Smith, etc didn't even get near double figures between the lot of them, but with O'Brien and Slane bursting into the box and Forbes hitting rockets from all over the place, we'll be much better placed to be spreading the goals around the team, which is a good thing.

I agree with Frazzle. See there really is a first time for everything. :blink:

I know I started the topic (and I'm well aware we're still in "too early to know for sure" but we're fans, we speculate) but I can honestly say I don't know how to answer the question. Aye, we have more bodies in but is there the quality.

Midfield is the one area I feel most confident. Given the choice between Klimpl and Hughes or Forbes and Coke, this season's duo wins every day of the week and twice on a Sunday. The fact that we also have Hately, Jennings and Lasley is neither here nor there, the two guys I mentioned are, for me, going to be our key guys this season. And the way they've played so far, I'm quite happy with that.

My concern surrounds the two best players of those we lost. Clarkson left some pretty big shoes to fill and, not having seen the Pole play, I'll wait and see if he can step up and do the job. Quinn, for all his faults, will take some replacing. He was a winner and a good defender. Saunders is a good defender but I don't think he offers the same attacking outlet. Maybe the guy from Charlton will fit the bill. But Quinn (as Clarkson was to a certain extent) was a leader on the park. As gifted as the young guys in the team are, we're still waiting to see of any of them have the same character. I know Craigan is captain, but it won't do any harm if a couple of people step up to the plate to be his lieutenants. I just don't see who that is going to be at the moment. Coke? Jennings? Hard thing to do when you're just in the door.

Having said all that, I don't know when I've ever felt as positive as a Well fan...