The Squad

MelvinBragg

Simple question  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Is this season's squad better, worse or about the same as last season's...?

• Better
    • Worse
    • About the same

Not since the days of Kampman, has there been such a radical change in the squad overnight. I thought it'd be interesting to compare the squad we had when the transfer window opened to the one we have upon its closing and see if folk think it's better, worse or about the same. I know it's very early to say anything definitive, but there's no game this weekend, we need to talk about something... :ph34r:

Try and take off the McShovelface hating specs when voting. Obviously it's subjective in some cases who you consider in the first team squad. I haven't included Hutchison, McHugh or Slane in last season's squad since they didn't feature enough to be considered first teamers. But here goes...

GOALKEEPERS

Then: Graeme Smith, Artur Kryziak

Now: John Ruddy, Michael Fraser

DEFENDERS

Then: Paul Quinn, Stephen Craigan, Mark Reynolds, Stevie Hammell, Brian McLean, Steven Saunders

Now: Yass Moutaouakil, Stephen Craigan, Mark Reynolds, Shaun Hutchison, Stevie Hammell, Steven Saunders

MIDFIELDERS

Then: Stephen Hughes, Maros Klimpl, Bob Malcolm, Mark Fitzpatrick, Keith Lasley, Steven McGarry, Jim O'Brien, Darren Smith

Now: Giles Coke, Ross Forbes, Steven Jennings, Chris Humphrey, Paul Slane, Tom Hately, Mark Fitzpatrick, Keith Lasley, Steven McGarry, Jim O'Brien, Darren Smith

FORWARDS

Then: David Clarkson, John Sutton, Jamie Murphy, Cillian Sheridan

Now: John Sutton, Bob McHugh, Jamie Murphy, Lukas Jutkiewicz

Obviously if you simply play a numbers game, this season's squad has more bodies. But that's simply due to Gannon bringing in young guys as well as his signings. You could argue that I've overinflated the size of this year's squad because the likes of Smith, Lasley and Fitzpatrick seem to have drifted so far that they may not be considered by some to be in our first team squad. You have to weigh up the versatility of Klimpl and Malcolm (stop sniggering) against that of Reynolds and Hately.

Thoughts and opinions...?

My opinion.

Goalkeepers - Stronger, due to the fact we have two expereinced keepers and Ruddy looks better than Smith

Defence - The same, as the emergence of Hutchison has replaced McLean, but if this Frenchman is decent then we will be in a stronger position

Midfield - Much stronger. Coke, Forbes, Hateley etc have given us much more options in midfield.

Attack - Weaker as I doubt we have a striker who can bag 20 a season like Clarky did, but maybe Sutton can step up to the plate.

So overall I would say we look a stronger side. We certainly have a lot more options to change things around and rotate the squad.

I feel it's a bit too early to say but signs are good.

Ruddy did look good against steaua and is a big unit which breeds confidence and is definately a shite site better than fraser.

He does look clumsy at times but that comes with being over 6ft i should know.

The defence has had 2 clean sheets since gannon has came in and still seems to suffer from set piece syndrome, i haven't seen our new right back play and mclean looked like a great prospect.

Hutchinson has been a goal threat i can't remember the last time we had that from a centre hald, but at this point i'd say that defence is our weakest area but could be no worse really as we've only really lost quinn as mclean didn't get a regular game.

By far and away the most radical changes have happened here and i feel we are in a much better position than we've been for years, coke and forbes have been a breath of fresh air with obrien,slane and humphrey on the wings and hateley and jennings coming in to battle for the ball.

Delighted with that.

Up front only seen one addition and if you think about it our three strikers murphy,mchugh and sutton have already hit the pokey 8 times between them in 9 games.

Elsewhere midfield and defence have provided 9 goals

a total of 17 goals in 9 games!!

But we've lost 12 in the same amount of games tells its only story.

It so early my believe is this team has goals a plenty and if we can get the back line sorted out then we'll be fine, but no better or worse than last year fighting for top six and making it i guess.

I feel it is a bit too early to judge and I could give a different answer in about 2 months when we see every player. Although I do feel that the team is more exciting. I think I will rerserve judgement for a later date. The Rangers game will be a good pointer to where we are going this season.

I went for About the Same....

Reasons for that is the most exciting players for me at this early stage of the season are the young guys Hutchinson, Forbes, Slane, Saunders and McHugh. They were all in the squad last year so they have to be taken into account. What I think is diffrent is the management. While McGhee acheived great things with us, and had us playing some great football, Gannon is a diffrent calibre for me. He shows no fear and great optimisim in pitting the youth into the squad, and even if we hadn't lost all the players we did over the summer, i still think we would be seeing the young guys involved.

As for the transfers in, they are all replacing players who have left and they can be compared (to a certain degree.) Here are my individual head to heads and what I think it means to the team....

Giles Coke vs Stepehn Hughes - Hughes was extremley impressive on his game, but was far too inconsistent. Early signs from big Coke shows he a competent player and has a real touch of class about him. Both on top form, I think I'd have Hughes...but over the season I think Coke has to be your man. BETTER

John Ruddy vs Graeme Smith - Smith had his best season for 'Well last term in my eyes, and I was dissappointed to see him go especially when Fraser was lined up as his replacement. However, big Ruddy has shown glimpses that he is a quality keeper, but still a bit error prone - as was Buzz. SAME

Yassin Moutaouakil vs Paul Quinn - This is the hardest one as we haven't seen anything of big Yass yet. Coach was a great servent to the club and was going to be hard to replace. But this guy comes with a great pedigree, and is probably our highest profiles signing in a long time. I believe he will prove to be a great addition, but it is far to early to tell. UNDECIDED

Steve Jennings vs "Big Bad" Boab Malcolm - Most people would easily say better, but from what we have seen from Jennings so far he is slow, unfit and hard in the tackle - ring any bells?? But can he hit a free kick?! And is he versatile enough to cover at the back if needed?? For me, he is our most unispiring signing - but I hope I proved wrong. I much rather have Lasley playing to both of them. Controversial, but SAME

Tom Hateley vs Brian McLean - hard to compare thes too as they are diffrent kind of players, but both have a degree of versatility. McLean was the one player I was truly gutted to see go last year as he has lots to offer if we can keep him fit. As for Marky's boy, he has really impressed me in his time here. Not too flash, keeps it simple and works hard. It's another tough one to call, and I would love to have both. The fact Hateley is younger and can cover more position, I think he offers more as a squad player than McLean. Hard to say, but BETTER

Lukas Jutkiewicz vs David Clarkson - the only one that is a complete no brainer for me. While it is early days in Jutkiewicz time at 'Well, I don't think he can replace Clarky. He is too similar to Sutton from early signs and doesn't offer that workrate and spark that Clarky did. Without doubt WORSE

Richie Humphreys vs ???? - Humphreys has come in to offer extra options on the flanks and it was a position that we badly needed competion in with only really O'Brien playing that position to last season. Was gonna mention Artur Krysiak, but he never played. Easy one...BETTER

???? vs Klimpl - Was gonna compare him with Jennings or Coke, but thought they were more like Malcolm and Hughes respectively. The Klimp will always have a bit of a cult status at The 'Ark, but he wasn't actually that goood. Yeah he offered a bit of bite in midfield, but so does Lasley IMO. He was a bombscare in defense, and I believe the arrival of Jennings and Coke make up for his absence from the team. SAME

On a side note, the potential of the youngsters mentioned really excites me and while they are not the finished article I believe we will see so much from them. Why McGhee never gave any of them a run out I'll never know. I think they are the diffrence and if they continue from where they have started then I will be pushed to say we are much better now than we were last season.

The only player from McGhee's two years in charge I would love to have back is Rosco. He was the diffrence between 3rd and 7th last season for me.

And to echo what has been said already, I believe the team is definately more exciting than last year. Only time will tell if it's better!

Tough one.

I'd say on paper the squad is worse. There's no doubting we've swapped some experienced pros , some quality pros, and some expensive pros for untried youth and lower league English players many of whom have no SPL experience.

However, I think with Gannon's apparent "lack of respect" for the seasoned pros, and seeming tactical nous (although obviously only a handful of games in the SPL played so far so a bit early for sweeping generalisations), the "hunger" of the younger lads and his experience working with "poorer" players with potential we're in a stronger position.

Players now know they're not guaranteed a strarting berth no matter what their surname is, and that's got to be good for the performances. Not to mention his preparation for games, and recognising the strengths and weakpoints of the opposition and setting the team out in a certain way - more or less stopping Kyle having any service v Killie a good example of this.

It's also possible that losing Clarkson (which I felt was a big blow at the time) could work a la losing McFadden - we play better as a team and can gel better without him all over the pitch IMO.

So erm, aye and naw.

Very early to judge but about the same. For my money McGhee and some dreadful decisions caused us to underperform last season. No doubt that minus Porter and Clarkson we have less firepower up front.

Ruddy got a lot to do to prove he better than Smith and so many other unknowns. We have a team capable of playing some good stuff, has shown a bit of resiliance in games where we not played our best so I still optimistic we can do better but I don't think the squad is notably better or notably worse.

GOALKEEPERS

Then: Graeme Smith, Artur Kryziak

Now: John Ruddy, Michael Fraser

I'd have to say we're slightly weaker now. It's impossible to pass comment on Kryziak, but, for me, Buzz is the pick of the bunch and it's fair to assume the Polish guy is better than Fraser. While Ruddy had an impressive debut, he has looked a bit dubious in the SPL so far for me.

DEFENDERS

Then: Paul Quinn, Stephen Craigan, Mark Reynolds, Stevie Hammell, Brian McLean, Steven Saunders

Now: Yass Moutaouakil, Stephen Craigan, Mark Reynolds, Shaun Hutchison, Stevie Hammell, Steven Saunders

So the question is really between Quinn and McLean or Moutaouaki and Hutchison. Very difficult. Hutchison is unproven but has looked at least as good as McLean, and while the French guy has impressive credentials, it's impossible to say he'll definitely be better than Coach. A tie on this one I would say.

MIDFIELDERS

Then: Stephen Hughes, Maros Klimpl, Bob Malcolm, Mark Fitzpatrick, Keith Lasley, Steven McGarry, Jim O'Brien, Darren Smith

Now: Giles Coke, Ross Forbes, Steven Jennings, Chris Humphrey, Paul Slane, Tom Hately, Mark Fitzpatrick, Keith Lasley, Steven McGarry, Jim O'Brien, Darren Smith

I'd say we're much stronger now. Not only in numbers, but I genuinely wouldn't give Hughes, Klimpl or Malcolm a game in our team now. Slane, Forbes, Coke and O'Brien is a great midfield, and having guys like Lasley and Fitzpatrick in reserve is almost an embarrasment of riches.

FORWARDS

Then: David Clarkson, John Sutton, Jamie Murphy, Cillian Sheridan

Now: John Sutton, Bob McHugh, Jamie Murphy, Lukas Jutkiewicz

I'd say we're slightly weaker, but given that we're only playing one up front these days, I don't think it's a disaster. The Polish guy looked murder on saturday, but it's early days. Murphy hasn't done anywhere near enough to convince me but I'm excited by McHugh. Sutton has been excellent so far this season but it's too early to tell for 3/4 of the strikers.

Overall, I'd have to call it a draw, but I'm much happier now as signs of progress are there and I'm already looking forward to the next transfer window. If Gannon is as thorough as I think he might be, he will already have a goalie, left back and striker identified.

Overall, I'd have to call it a draw, but I'm much happier now as signs of progress are there and I'm already looking forward to the next transfer window. If Gannon is as thorough as I think he might be, he will already have a goalie, left back and striker identified.

Not so sure on that last point, as come next transfer window if the current loan guys have done well we a very decent chance of having to replace them. Not to mention if any of our one season contract guys have made a splash then the temptation of potential offers?

It's still too early to say. We saw last years squad play for a season or more through good times and bad. This current squad hasn't had either the length of time to be fairly examined, nor any real pressure put upon it.

The real test will be in December/January when the season is really beginning to take shape.

Goalie - smith was ever present in goal last seaon and did well, overall. Working with the defence we had then thought he did good. In comparison Fraser looked to loose a lot of confidence early doors and was weak against the cross. Ruddy has come in and looks decent overall thoug he is still a loan signing so strong for now and will have to see what happens in Jan - weaker as it is a loan

Defence about the same. Maclean was right unlucky with injuries and hope he goes on to do well for himself. Craigen, Reynolds, hutchison saunders page, bond (though a loan) , hammell, hately all look good it is just a matter of getting the right blend. stronger - more depth and youngsters look to have potential

Midfield lasley and fitzpatrick are on the bench which perhaps shows the depth of players we have here. JG will have to give the guys all a fair crack an rotate to avoid burn out etc of folk like Forbes et al. Coke only on a one year deal I think so could see him buggering off but for this season I will go for same as we lost hughes who was immense - but if these young guiys go on to improve/contribute then stronger

Up front. Humphreys to be transfered to a forward...? Worked for Henry so watch this space. Definately weaker. Clarky was brill tireless, and scored a fair few as well. also think he was the perfect foil for sutton. The only othe rcompetition for sutton is again the youngsters and the pole who again is a loan signing.

Hope these loan signings can stay or that it gives us time for folk like page to develop into the player they clearly have the potential to be. will be interested in seeing what happens with the lads up front.

As for potential this is a team who has such great potential we should be looking to sign these guys on for 5 years etc. That way when they do move to sit on the old fim bench we can get decent money for them.

We're better off overall I think.

We thought we were gonna be decimated.

In terms of we now have already multiple options across more of the team and the proven ability to switch tactics and personell during a game.

Players are no longer a gimme on the team sheet.

We have a keeper who has come for one cross already - so we're better off than last year.

It's early days but already some of Coke, Hutchison, Forbes, Slane, McHugh, Hateley, Ruddy, Jennings looke more up for it than some of the guys we had on board last year and at least capable of matching some of our departures skill wise as well - although I'm prepared to let time tell.

Reynolds O'Brien and Murphy look like they're up for the Gannon challenge.

More importantly a manager who has been in for a couple of months and hasn't mentioned his next job!

Promising times.

C'mon the Well!

Not so sure on that last point, as come next transfer window if the current loan guys have done well we a very decent chance of having to replace them. Not to mention if any of our one season contract guys have made a splash then the temptation of potential offers?

That's part of the reason why I've singled out a left back, a striker and a goalie. I reckon Ruddy, Hammell and the Polish guy will be away. The only other concerns are our youngsters and Giles Coke at this moment in time, but again I think Gannon has enough about him to get these guys signed up, and I also think Gannon will be a factor in persuading them to stay. I'm quietly confident.

I went for 'about the same'.

It still is a bit early to say, but on early impressions i'd say Ruddy could be well a match for Buzz, but as previously mentioned he also has made a few errors in the games he's played. Having a back up with the experience of Michael Fraser could help us, should Ruddy's form dip. For all thats been said about Fraser i think he'll prove a trusty back up, as he was up in Inverness for most of the season.

Defensively we seem to be slightly better off, with Saunders and Hutchi coming on from last season. The new guy who could be hit or miss and most importantly for me keeping Reynolds and Hammell. Throw in the fact we've got a utility guy like Tom Hateley who's looked comfortable in the right back position and i think we'll be fine in this department.

Midfield. Hughes had the ability, when he could be arsed, to change a game and take control of it. I see alot of this in Giles Coke. So far the boy has looked composed, his passings been spot on and he's not frightened to push forward. It has to be remembered that while Mr Malcolm was totally immobile, he did chip in with some goals last year, and looked dangerous from set pieces. I think the boy Forbes has shown he can provide a threat from free kicks and long range shooting, i just worry that we dont overuse the boy on the back of a few good performances. He was dead on his feet after an hour up at aberdeen and should of been taken off. He's a huge prospect and we really need to nuture that. I think a little help from an experienced head like Lasley and the boy Coke could see Forbesy develope into a cracking player this year. Paul Slane looks the part, Jim OBrien's started this season the way he finished last and the boy Humphrey's looks a threat running at players, although in my opinion hasnt shown enough to be a regular starter. Fitzy for all his faults put in alot of unsung hero performances last season, where he was by no means the star of the show, but he carried out his work effectively. I've still to see similar traits in Jennings. On the occasions i've seen him play he looks a yard or two behind the pace of the game, he seems quite slow in my view and his composure on the ball is no where near that of Coke. After a strange pre season and only 3 league games, its guys like Jennings and Humphrey's that need support rather than written off at this early stage. Jennings pedigree down at Tranmere suggests he's a player. In my view we will miss the experience of Lasley and Fitzpatrick later on in the season when we're trying to grind out results. These are players that have been there and done it, and i think Gannon would be foolish to completely dismiss them from the first team squad. From what i've heard from Gannon, he's giving everyone a chance to impress, so fair enough.

Up front, the polish guy i thought looked ok on Saturday. But for me i could really see us struggling this year. I think we will rely alot on the midfield players scoring, which is no bad thing. Hearts have shown that you can still climb the table without an out and out goalscorer. We'll obviously be looking at Sutton to grab his fair share, but this season we're really looking for Murphy to step up to the plate. If you'd told me in April that our front two for this season would be Sutton and Murphy i'd be very nervous indeed. Take away the SPL experience of Cillian Sheridan, and dont forget this is a boy that played in the Champions League against United, and we're really short in this department. We've not adequately replaced McCormack in my view never mind Clarkson, and the boy from Everton seems very much like John Sutton. The failure of our first team strike force could see an opportunity arrive for Robert McHugh. The wee guys impressed me coming off the bench. showing alot more fight and determination at times than Jamie.

So yeah, overall i feel we're just about the same in a league thats got generally poorer in quality. So not a bad thing at all.

I think its probably too early to call to be honest.

perhaps by christmas we will be able to tell a bit better,although at that time last year we were 1 point off the bottom of the league, our blushes spared only by the Accies.

if I was pushed to give an opinion at the moment, I'd have to say we look pretty much the same in defence , better in midfield, and weaker up front.

the one area that has seen an absolutely huge increase this season though has to be the level of optimism from the fans !! I honestly can't remember the last time there was such a "buzz" around the fans regarding players and management !

hopefully some exciting times ahead..............

.........hold on tight 'coz the 09/10 Fir Park rollercoaster has started at a helluva rate !!!

:notworthy:

, i just worry that we dont overuse the boy on the back of a few good performances. He was dead on his feet after an hour up at aberdeen and should of been taken off.

I agree with most of your post, but on the above point we had used all three subs by that stage. Quite unfortunate as I think if we'd got fresh legs on for Forbes it could have been the difference between one point and three.

Think I have to sit on the fence on this one given that I have only seen the stuff thats made it onto the tv, or a website or two.

As I watched Clarky, Quinn and the rest depart Fir Park I could never have imagined a situation whereby we would have started the season with anything like the same quality in the squad that we have enjoyed for the last few seasons. Whether we do in fact have that quality will only be decided with time, but certainly we appear to have the potential within the squad to make top 6, and therefore do better than last year.

Its a young, raw squad which makes me think that performances are likely to be erratic, and whether its top 6 this season, or next may well depend on how the younger players develop, and how many games we ask them to play - especially on the traditional scottish pitches come the new year.

Gannon should be included when we are discussing the squad - for the 1st time since wee McLean I feel we have a manager whose tactics, and substitutions etc will go a long way to deciding our season. When was the last time we had a manager willing to make a tactical substitution after 30 mins? Perhaps he is the 1st Well manager in a while to have payers on the bench who can offer something different, and maybe even turn a game? He is likely to get a few decisions wrong (everyone is human afterall), but so far he seems to be doing no too bad.

Had we the same setup as last season I am not so sure I would be as upbeat given the results we have managed. That said, the passion and enthusiasm that just about everyone in C&A appears to have at the moment is infectious!

I think the squad is marginally better, hope this new RB is a real gem.

However i still think we are too light up front with an unproven striker.

In think to compliment this we will bag goals from midfield.

All in all ive seen every game so far and of the three league games we can say 2 draws away, 1 win at home. Promising 5pts from 3 games, but i think we may have deserved 7.

I think we will be in mid table this season, if we can bring in a striker who will get us 10 goals or so + Assists i will be delighted

if we hadn't had a bad spell with injuries last season i think we'd have been comfortably top six and would have probably qualified for europe through the league. right now i don't think we could put out a first XI as strong as we the one we could field a year ago but we probably have more strength in depth now.

goalies - weaker - buzz had a great season last year and didn't put a foot wrong at all after the nancy game. ruddy looks decent but a bit erratic and the idea of having to put fraser back in after xmas is horrible.

defence - same, maybe stronger - we've got better strength in depth but quinn is a big loss. the key is keeping craigan fit.

midfield - stronger - last season it was rare for us to play a midfield full of actual midfielders. this season apart from the uninspiring sight of reynolds in the holding role we look strong. coke looks great and i'd have liked to have seen hughes beside him. jim o'brien is a new man but should be on the right. forbes is a great asset and has real quality but there are questions about his fitness. jennings looks gash and i'd much rather see lasley or fitzpatrick get a chance. humphrey is a strange one and it could be a while before we get any great return from him. slane looks great but i don't it being plain sailing regarding his contract.

strikers - much weaker - sutton who is our number one now was the a distant 3rd best striker last season, he probably had his best game for us against killie but then he got dropped. he clearly isn't capable of playing up front in gannon's 4-5-1. jamie murphy has looked bright in all three league games but i'd rather see him in the centre than out wide. mchugh looks class and ready to contribute from the bench. the polish boy looked totally shite on saturday.

we've also got mcpake and page who are too old for the u19s and darren smith who will hopefully get a shot when he comes back.

I think Gannon has a different philosophy than McGhee which may be partly dictated by Boyle. I think Gannon likes to give youth more of a chance but we all know that they cannot play every week and to do that you need more depth. McGhee liked to load the first team with quality with the drawback being that he did not have the resource for reserves of a similar quality. Therefore I think we have gone backwards in quality and forwards in depth and overall we are much of a muchness.

Goalkeepers - if you can keep them fit and free of suspension you only need one. Smith is a better 'keeper than Ruddy I think.

Defenders - we have more options with Hutchinson, Hateley, Saunders and the French boy as they allow Reynolds to drift sideways however Quinn was a better player than what we have brought in.

Midfielders - Coke is an inspired signing whether he will be as good as Hughes was two seasons ago remains to be seen. O'Brien as come on immensely since he has been with us. McGhee needs to takes some of the credit and it has continued under Gannon - got to say at the moment he is the one in our team who I enjoy watching the most. Jennings, Humphrey, Forbes and Slane are all new in this area. Jennings had the most promising CV but has probably delivered least so far but its early days for all. We certainly have depth here.

Strikers - we have a few that can play here now and if it is our intention to play one up we should only need three or four tops however the quality has gone back lots as Clarkson and Porter were miles better than what we have now (granted the Polish boy I have not seen yet but from what I have read I still think it will be a backwards step).