Central Defence

star sail

Hard to believe that we suddenly have four capable players to pick from in the centre of defense.

I cannot make up my mind about the best partnership at the back so thought I would ask for peoples thoughts from Reynolds, Craigan, Hutchison and Saunders. I have been really impressed by Saunders over the last few games (Aberdeen, Rangers). For me any combination of the four would be ok. I think Hutchison/Saunders may be too much of a gamble because of a lack of experience but then I would have said the same about Reynolds/Saunders before I saw them cope so well on Saturday.

For me Reynolds is the most versatile so could be played elsewhere but I think CD is his best position. Can Craigan be left out given his experience and captaincy? Could we even switch to a back three?

Seems like a bit of a headache for JG albeit a good one to have.

I'd still rather have a 6'4" centre half signed recommended by a German contact. But in all seriousness I think it's a great headache to have. Last season we play Malcolm at centre half for ages, when we had these two kicking about, it really goes to show how much faith Jim Gannon has in youth, and it's a breath of fresh air to see him blood many of our own youngsters.

Good Post.

Agree that versitility along the back line is a great asset. For me the youngsters mentioned have brought some pace to our back line and this has meant we dont have to sit so deep. Perhaps Ruddy is also having an influence on them.

On a sour note, how long before the OF media state their interest in one of them?

I would always go with Craggs and any one of the others , though I like Mark Reynolds playing in that kind of sweeper role , but I dont see us going 3 at the back as JG seems to favour the 2 Central defenders going man for man with the strikers and then we have effectivley 2 wing backs who can support midfield and atack

Good post mate!

It is a difficult question and a difficult answer. At the start of the season when we were playing out games in the Europa league, I would have said Reynolds and Craigan for a mix of pace and invaluable experience. But, I have been very happy with Hutchison this season and has potentially been our best centre half. He is great in the air, is also fast enough to keep up with most SPL strikers and is also a good tackler.

However, I am one of the cynical buggers who believes that Stevie Hammell has potential to be a liability in defence (due to his height and inability to even stand on his right foot), so perhaps Reynolds at left back and Crags and Hutchison at centre back. I think Saunders would be a good back up for both centre back and right back

The question of back three is an interesting one, that I hadn't thought of until now. As much as I like Craigan, he's clearly the least mobile of our centre-backs, and therefor probably the least capable of playing in a back three. Would be interesting to see a back three of Reynolds, Hutchison and Saunders (L-R) spread out with Hammell and the French boy as wingbacks. Forbes and Coke in midfield with O'Brien behind the strikers. Would be good to do that against someone pish and demolish them.

it's looking good at the back now. hutchison was outstanding in the killie game, craigan was superb against killie and particularly aberdeen and saunders put in the probably the best two performances of any of them in the past two games. reynolds also looked back on form on saturday and i think he proved that is his best position. i'd stick with reynolds and saunders for saturday but i think we'll be benefit from the rotation for the rest of the season.

i thought hammell was good on saturday as well, he was solid at the back and got forwards loads. if him and o'brien strike up a good partnership down the left it'll be a huge asset for us. the two of them on one side with yassin and slane/humphrey rampaging down the other would have fullback all over scotland shiting it.

To be honest, I'd probably bring Craigan back for saturday, purely because Dundee Utd have a team full of big beasts. I'd also think about starting Sutton and the big Pole to play them at their own game before unleashing McHugh for the last 15 minutes or so. Murphy is probably the only Motherwell player to disappoint over the last few games and I think he'd benefit from a rest.

I thought Saunders was awful at right back and wasn't shy about saying so but he's done really well at centre half, obviously its his 'real' position.

It's difficult to pick between Saunders and Hutchinson on purely defensive criteria because they have both done really well, in fact they were my last two votes for man of the match, but I think Hutchinson offers a bit more.

Physically, he might not be as tall but he looks like he has a much stronger build and looks a bit more aggressive. Even though he's just a kid you can't imagine many players bullying him around.

He's also probably the best defender we've had since Mitchell Van Der Gaag at getting forward and causing problems in the opposition box. Off the top of my head I think its three goals in five matches which is a tremendous return and I'm a great believer in getting goals from defenders and midfielders, if they can score semi regularly then watch the points mount up.

During the close season, most of us were pleading for 2 new central defenders. Now we seem to have grown two of our own. I don't think its just about JG giving Saunders and Hutchinson a chance and MMG not. Credit to both lads for working so hard at developing their game. Saunders came into the side last season. IMHO he did all right, but still looked a bit off SPL pace. On Saturday he was immense in closing down Boyd et al.

Hutchinson impresses with his distribution - and of course his finishing in the opposition box!!!

My one plea to all Well fans. Let's give youth a chance, but we shouldn't expect consistency every game. Fortunately we have old Reynolds (22 years B-) ) and even older Craigan (still 2 years left in him) to provide some stability.

However, I am one of the cynical buggers who believes that Stevie Hammell has potential to be a liability in defence (due to his height and inability to even stand on his right foot), so perhaps Reynolds at left back and Crags and Hutchison at centre back.

I thought Stevie had a poor game defensively on Saturday. Much of Rangers' danger came down our left flank. Too often Stevie was caught inside. His error in the 72nd minute almost cost us a goal. He was shadowing Naismith closely, then moved away from him allowing him to interpass with Novo who then unleashed a shot which John Ruddy could only parry. There was no need for our custodian to have to make a save at all, had Stevie stuck closely to his man.

i thought he did well, davis is probably the best player in scotland and we kept him fairly quiet. novo also usually causes us problems and a shot from 18 yards at an angle isn't too much to worry about.

if everyone was that critical of fullbacks rangers would be sacking steven whittaker due to the raping o'brien gave him. there are going to be chances in every game and there's always going to be something that we could have done better.

Selecting one incident in a ninety minute smacks of nit-picking to me.

No, I was simply using the Novo shot as but one example. Stevie had a decent game going forward but all too often (not once or even twice) was caught out of position when Rangers were on the attack.

As others have said he's good on the ball but not so good off it.

To be fair there was one minute in the first half when Sutton was playing left back to cover for Hammell who was almost at centre forward. So what Kmcalpin says has some validity however I think part of the beauty of what we are doing is that Gannon wants the full backs to bomb forward and that therefore means that others (whoever is nearest) needs to slot into full back should we lose the ball.

Hutchinson and Saunders from the limited amount I have seen them are both quite raw to be honest and I think playing both of them at centre half would be folly. Agree with Frazzle that I would play Craigan on Saturday for the reasons he said. United are a team that we have handled pretty well the last few times we have played them and I would hope that Gannon has looked at some of the tapes.

Also for people saying that McGhee should have been playing these two at centre half instead of Malcolm - I would say maybe but bringing them into a struggling team a year ago and a year back in their development from now I don't think they would have been good enough or had the cover of those round about them.