Ict

another number

I don't think there is much bitterness about Foran. Some of just think he was a bit overrated. Take away his penalties and he wasn't exactly a prolific scorer. An average player in an average team. Getting 150k for him was a cracking piece of business.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the match it was one of those I had a feeling would be really tough beforehand, and so it turned out. Inverness deserve a lot of credit for hanging in there, especially after going down to ten men.

As far as we are concerned it was all about getting through. My only gripe was the loss of two gaols from cross balls, an achilles heel I thought we'd overcome of late.

Perhaps our passing and movement was a little laboured at times too, a little more dynamism would've seen us tear them apart. Something to work on.

Also, I was disappointed to hear some of the players getting stick last night, particularly the younger ones. After the start to the season I have been expecting a wee dip in form, that's when we need to stick with them. They have been great so far and deserve our 100% backing all the time.

Well for the Cup!! :D

That's just the thing with good, young players. Not every game is going to be the same, and we are going to have ones where they don't play as well. However, as we've seen and will do plenty of times this season, when it all goes right we'll cuff folk. Got to be patient and the rewards will arrive.

Also, I was disappointed to hear some of the players getting stick last night, particularly the younger ones. After the start to the season I have been expecting a wee dip in form, that's when we need to stick with them. They have been great so far and deserve our 100% backing all the time.

Well for the Cup!! :D

Agree with all of your post (again) Yir - However the quoted part is something that really pisses me off.

The stick The Duke was getting from the first kick of the ball was uneccessary. he's a young lad getting some first team football at last and is finding his feet - He had as good as game as many - But the side splitting stick was absolutely cringeworthy.

Stay in the house and kick the dug guys!

Foran was, and still is, shite. I didnt boo him but it was a bit cringeworthy some folk jumpin oot their seat with a stauner to give him a standing ovation leaving the field. He was a lazy c**t who stood about on the wing and generally took the pish most of the time.

In a nutshell.

Foran doesn't deserve anything from Motherwell fans. He was a very average player who chipped in with a few goals now and again and only held 'cult status' with some of our fans because he was 'a bit of a character' who frequented the local boozers every weekend. There have been far better players and servants to Motherwell FC down the years who have come back to FP playing with another club and haven't been applauded or cheered by the Well support so why anyone would do it for that nobody is beyond me. Applauding the opposition is wrong anyway as far as I'm concerned.

As for the result, it was always going to be a difficult tie for us because we were the favourites, all the pressure was on us and our record in games like that against lower league sides in Cup competitions is piss poor. I wasn't there last night but it sounded as though it was a bit of a struggle with Caley putting up a good fight but the only thing that matters is that we got through it and we're in the next round. When have we ever had an easy game at home against Inverness? That was a very tricky tie and it was just important to win it so well done to the lads for doing just that.

And on a side note, GIRUY to Billy Dodds as I'm sure anyone else who was listening on Radio Scotland will tell you how gutted he sounded each time we scored last night. Put that in yer pipe and smoke it you wee jug eared muppet! :D

I'll play this game

thats way too harsh on Murphy mate

he was very lively and nearly created a couple of goals on his very short outing on the park

I was also quite pleased with McGarrys contribution added a bit of energy to the team most of whom looked very lazy at points this evening.

But hey we're Motherwell, got to pick out individuals to blame eh?

First of all, I was not "blaming" anyone. Did you actually read my post. There was no blame to be attached to anyone. What I was doing was offering my opinion on the performance of a couple of players last night and one of them being a fringe player. IMO opinion McGarry didn't do enough to merit a place on the bench every week. I say bench because he is nowhere near good enough to get in the first 11. I thought his play didn't suit the style we have been accustomed to. I came on and offered constructive criticism of 2 players. I didn't come straight on and say they were shit nor did I blame anyone.

FWIW I actually like Murphy and want him to prove me wrong. I just don't think he has done enough to merit a place in the team.

Very strange game last night, nae atmosphere and no urgency from the players. We kept the ball well in the first half and stepped it up a little in extra time. However if the plan was to play the retention football, I would rather we came out the traps and leathered them for the 1st half hour and then moved to the passing retaining game when we were comfortably ahead.

We lost some soft goals, but the truth is we were always the far better team. Saying that, if it had went to pens then we’d probably have got pumped out.

Yaaaass was emence I thought. The big Pole was a diddy. Laugh of the night was when the boy a few rows behind me pointed out that Gannon was making it 10 a side by bringing on McGarry for JOB.

Also, got my text question read out on Clyde Super Scoreboard, asked Broadfoot if he stood by his prediction of us getting relegated. He said no, and was impressed by our young team, but then said he thought ICT would beat us. Haha Broadfoot, wrong again. Right up yi!

I hope big Lucas (and Gannon) prove you all wrong.

Ye of little faith (and constant need of something to kick)

I think there is something about lucas, as a striker he does manage to get into a lot of goalscoring positions.

The one thing he has to learn is to pull the trigger and stop waiting for the perfect moment to hit his ping.

If he can sort that out there will be goals from him this year, holds the ball up well and with a bit more confidence he'll do o.k.

I hope big Lucas (and Gannon) prove you all wrong.

Ye of little faith (and constant need of something to kick)

Jutkiewicz has been off the pace but remember Porter started very slowly when he first arrived at Fir Park.

Although its fashionable to slag off Scottish football most of these players coming up from England are playing at a much higher level than they are used to it and it takes a while to bed in.

Add in that playing as a striker is probably the hardest position on the football field and you have to give the guy a few more starts before you start making definitive judgements. Remember last night was only the guys second start for the club.

Agree with all of your post (again) Yir - However the quoted part is something that really pisses me off.

The stick The Duke was getting from the first kick of the ball was uneccessary. he's a young lad getting some first team football at last and is finding his feet - He had as good as game as many - But the side splitting stick was absolutely cringeworthy.

Stay in the house and kick the dug guys!

Disappointed with some of the stick dished out last night.

A few skulls were giving it pretty tight to Hammell all game, which i thought was unneccesary. McGarry was getting verbals as soon as he stepped on the park, didnt have a chance. Worst i heard was reserved for Murphy, when play broke down, was labelled 'ya wee dick'. A small minority of dunderheids. (I also dont understand why some people insist on giving a mystic meg style commentary on the whole game "Keep going Ross, now pass it to Jimbo. He passed it to Jimbo, told ye he'd dae that! Shut the f*ck up!)

As for Lukas, from what i've seen he's been very poor, although i agree at times he looks like he's about to burst into a player. Sadly for Lukas, we can all look up his background on the net and see whilst he cost a milllion, his last two loan spells have gone dramatically wrong. A couple of reserve bounce games maybe would help bring him up to speed with our game.

I got the feeling that last night the team were playing on orders from Gannon to take it as easy as possible and slow the game down, keep possession and expend as little energy as possible. Had we been playing like that last night normally I would have expected to see him on the sideline yelling at the players. However, he seemed quite calm for most of the game and content with the way we were playing.

I thought at the time like we were playing to try and tire out Caley and save our players legs for Saturday.

Did anyone notice this sign on the advertising hoarding in front of the Cooper stand?

"Encase of emergency kick down panel"

I wonder if the club are trying to make the new French signing feel at home? ;)

Also, big cheer to the guy who threw the ball back to Ruddy from the Cooper stand and managed to hit the hoarding, putting a big hole in it. :lol:

First and foremost happy to get through. Expected it to be tricky and it was - though a lot more trickier than it should have been really once we got ahead.

In some respects I think that will have been more beneficial for Gannon seeing that than a comprehensive thumping. It will allow him to illustrate that that we can't be too complacement because we've had some good results and some clean-sheets.

Not too bad a thing either for the likes of Jutkiewicz and McHugh to get a full ninety plus for example, though on that display its a bit jaw dropping that someone paid £1m for him I must admit.

Will have been good for Gannon I think to see the character tested of the team a wee bit, the opportunity to see how they played against 10 men - whether they retained their composure or panicked and a good experience for a few of the team who might not have experienced that almost a "next goal's the winner" type scenario that you get in extra-time.

As for the performance thought it was quite a disjointed set-up for much of the first half but when we got ahead I thought we looked prettty comfortable and even though we weren't going hammer and tongs for the killer second it was still a bit of a surprise when Inverness equalised. As Gannon has said as much in his post-match words though with only a single goal lead it was always a possibility.

All things considered the main priority in these games are always to get through and we've done that. Job done really.

Lukas seems to be the new Davie Clarkson given the difference of opinion on here about him. I thought Lukas was unlucky a few times last night. He put in loads of effort and had a few shots which were blocked. As others have said I thought he was trying to hard last night to open his Well account. I'm confident that once he does score that a few more will follow. In the meantime, if he's not scoring then all we can ask of him when he's on the park is that he puts plenty of effort in and he certainly did that last night.

Mark Hately on the pitch at half-time? What the fuck was that all about and did they expect any other reaction from the 'well fans. His boy may be a real find for us this season, but doesnt take away from the fact that he was, is and always will be a total wank.

On the game, totally lacklustre and I could have gret when it went into extra-time. Bored out my skull doesnt describe it. Hopefully we'll be more 'up' for Hivs on Saturday.

Forbes will be attracting big clubs just shortly if he keeps scoring goals as frequently as this, didnt play overly well last night but a goal-scoring midfielder always attracts attention. Enjoy his goals while he is here I think.

Lukas, held onto the ball too long at times, but I've got every confidence that he'll come good. Can't see the comparisons with Elliott and Silliname Sheridan.

As for the stewards (and polis) at the South End of the East Stand. What the fuck was that all about last night, totally out of order in my opinion. Nae need for chucking the youngsters out of the ground for standing up, when I along with the whole back row of the East Stand were allowed to stand without a problem.

o'brien got their right back sent off then got subbed straight away. typical unpredictable game from gannon.

Think that was to save O'Brien for Saturday rather than any tactical reasons. Totally udnerstandable as he'd taken quite a few kicks last night and had been carrying a few knocks from being booted up and down the place at tannadice. It's the type of player he is, he's got quick feet and a lot of pace so defenders will always go in a split second too late.

Aye, the sending off occured right in front of where I was sat, and he definitely looked a bit uncomfortable when he got to his feet, the ICT lad definitely caught him quite heavily. I think it was a case of enough is enough before he picked up a knock to rule him out of the forthcoming league games.

Just got round to listening to the post match interviews from last night, and it's nice to hear the obvious affection Terry Butcher has for Motherwell. Just gave a wee mention that it's always nice to come back to Motherwell and it's a great club. I'll always have a soft spot for the big man with how he stepped up to the plate in dark times and that night at Easter Road in the CIS Semi-Final typified the rapport he built with the fans.

I'm surprised JIm O'Brien is still in the one piece at the moment. He's been getting kicked up and down the park in virtually every game we've played this season, right decision to get him off before someone else finished what Proctor started.