Motherwell V Hibs

Bop

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there on saturday but by all reports we were well gubbed. Saunders and Reynolds not strong enough for a defensive pairing.

I'm putting 2 and 2 together here and trying to second guess Jim Gannon which is always risky. I'd guess he'd identified Stokes and Riordan as Hibs' 2 danger men both of whom are pretty quick on the deck. Steven Craigan has his strengths but pace isn't one of them. That ansd the fact that Reynolds and saunders have contributed to a few shutouts?

IMO Hibs just had to much class in their squad for us to ignore and someone was always gonnae appear unmarked somewhere which was the case in all three goals, Nish was unmarked for the first with Saunders drifting away. Yassin was nowhere to be seen to when Riordan got the second, and for the free kick Jim O'Brien was forced to come back because Yassin was away up the other end of the park. I mean, you canny cover Nish, Riordan, Stokes, Zemmama at the same time especially with Hibs attacking style.

Personally, I thought Liam Miller ran the show on Saturday and its was him we couldn't deal with. His performance allowed the cradle snatcher, Riordan and Stokes to come into the game. Far, far too good a player to be at Hibs. Coke looked jaded, O'Brien had a mare and the two of them contributed to giving Hibs their 3 easy goals. (Though big Ruddy made a c**t of his punch). Hately again impressed, I didn't think Forbes actually had that bad a game. Big Yass, when he is in position is a good defender but, the problem is he thinks he's playing a free role sometimes(and should have crossed first time for Jutkewicz to make it 2-1). What pissed me off on Saturday was folk booing McHugh after he made a few mistakes. Fuck sake, granted he had a poor time of it when he came on but, was still looking to get on the ball all the time and try and create something.

Too pissed off to post till now.

Players looked like it was a training game and no real dig. Passing and possession looks lovely on the stats but no real dig or bite to the team.

We can play like this week in week out but teams will find us out as hibs did as we have no punch up front.

What a waste of money

More urgency, dig and determination and please Santa can we have a proven goal scorer up front.

:lol:

Isn't it the same thing....?

Aye, ok, I made a bit of a dick of myself there :lol:

It was more that I wasnt sure whether he's getting a bit full of himself and getting a bit too comfortable on the ball and eventually losing posession (why I said dropped), or if he was just tired, which then lead to the poor passes (why I said rested :lol: ). I hope that made snese to someone cos if it didnt, then I give up :lol:

Thought O'Brien's foul leading to the third goal was stupid, Murray was always running that ball out and no need to dive in like that. Not the first time this season he's done similar but maybe he was frustrated at how things were going for him. Needs to learn from these things though.

Agreed they had more experience in crucial areas which proved the difference in the end, but we'll have more good days that bad with this squad I'm sure. Like I said before though, SPL managers are quick to find ways to combat threats, Jimbob has more work to do to counter that.

IMO Hibs just had to much class in their squad for us to ignore and someone was always gonnae appear unmarked somewhere which was the case in all three goals..

Agree that our marking at the goals was appalling but Hibs don't have that much class - Riordan, perhaps Miller, Zemmamma and Stokes. The other 7/8 are/were ordinary to say the least. Hamilton and St Johnstone both played aggressively in midfield and completely smothered them. Our game plan and midfield performance suited Hibs to a T and they took full advantage. Man for man I'd say we have a better goalie, defence and midfield.

To be fair, from JG's post-match comments, it appears the game plan he had in mind wasn't the one the players implemented on the pitch. To what degree, of course, we'll never know.

It's not surprising, however, that with all the different formations and tactics for the players to learn, there will be weeks when it doesn't gel. Hopefully, that will happen less often as the season progresses. Like all managers and teams, the sign of progress is how well they bounce back.

Personally, I thought Liam Miller ran the show on Saturday and its was him we couldn't deal with. His performance allowed the cradle snatcher, Riordan and Stokes to come into the game. Far, far too good a player to be at Hibs.

Mentioning Liam Miller reminded me of this. Not Motherwell-related, but interesting I thought....

Telegraph By Oliver Brown

Flavio Briatore ordered a Queen's Park Rangers substitution from Kuala Lumpur QPR supporters could be forgiven for not remembering their derby match against Crystal Palace on April 4 this year. 26 Sep 2009

It was a turgid goalless draw and yet, unbeknown to those in the stands at Loftus Road, something extraordinary was happening as midfielder Lee Cook came on for the home side at half-time to replace Liam Miller. Telegraph Sport can disclose that the substitution was made on the direct orders of Flavio Briatore, the QPR chairman and co-owner, working 6,500 miles away at the Malaysian Grand Prix in Kuala Lumpur.

Sport on television Sources close to the west London club have confirmed that the disgraced former Renault team principal, unimpressed by the footage he had seen of Miller's first-half performance, contacted Paulo Sousa, the then team manager, to demand that the 28 year-old be replaced by Cook.