Motherwell V Hibs

Bop

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the dubious pleasure of being invited to New Douglas Park a couple of weeks ago to see Hamilton play Hibs. Hibs were rank rotten and Hamilton thoroughly deserved to beat them..... The Hamilton midfield kept a high line and pressed and stifled Hibs so much that their defenders had no option but to go long and this played into the hands of the Hamilton back four. I saw Jim Gannon at the game - he was in the BBC radio commentary team. So I thought, well done Jim, you've just seen how to beat Hibs.

I therefore thought turning up today that we would have it all sussed out and get the 3 points,

However.... the players didn't seem sure about the formation and as a result looked all out of sorts.

Best post of the day Grew. We lost today due to a combination of errors off the field and sheer poor performances on it. To me we looked a well beaten side by 10 past 3. JG is rightly famed for his meticulous preparation and tactical awareness but today he got it all wrong. Hibs defence, with the exception of Hogg, looked a bombscare and their midfield lightweight. They had a good midfielder and 2 good strikers.

The team lacked pace and aggression and the problem to me was quite plainly in midfield. Reminiscent of the bad old days with Ged Brannan ambling up and down the pitch at snails pace. Given JG's reputation for changing things I really thought he'd wield the axe after 30 minutes or so but this never happened. Steve Jennings and Keith Lasley could both have done a turn as could Chris Humphreys (even for 45 mins or so). I'm not a Keith Lasley fan but his greatest strength is his ability to man mark. He could quite easily have snuffed out Zemmamma and rendered him a passenger today. As others have said Ross Forbes played far too deep.

As you say both Hamilton and St Johnstone crushed Hibs recently and I really thought JG would have learnt from their feats. Probably the only time this season JG has got a game plan badly wrong.

As you say both Hamilton and St Johnstone crushed Hibs recently and I really thought JG would have learnt from their feats. Probably the only time this season JG has got a game plan badly wrong.

I would say so. Looking at our results so far this season I think even after today we are ahead of where most realistically expected us to be:

St J 2 2 Motherwell.......Away to a newly promoted side for their first game in the SPL, so a point was not the worst result.

Motherwell 3 1 Killie.........probably expected to beat Killie and we did comfortably.

Dons 0 0 Motherwell..........an ok point away to a team that is usually in the top 4-6 in the SPL.

Motherwell 0 0 Gers..........again a point to team that would not have been a surprise had we lost given their resources etc.

DDee Utd 0 1 Motherwell.................3 points away to a team that are/were widely tipped to finish 3rd.

Motherwell 1 3 Hibs............a defeat to team with more supposed big name players who are undoubtedly on much greater wages (Murray Riordan, Millar, Stokes) than everyone in our team.

I hope this serves as a wake up call to certain players who were starting to believe the media hype.

From those games I would have guessed at 6 or 8 points, so to be on 9 is no disgrace. A draw last week away to DDee Utd and a draw at home to Hibs today and we would have been on one less point.

Let's hope this is a blip and we can bounce back against Falkirk.

I quite realise that we would not remain unbeaten ad infinitum but I really thought we could have beaten Hibs today. Make no mistake they were there for the taking today. Despite all the hype about Riordan and Stokes they were given acres of space by our defence.

Despite the media hype its by no means certain they will make the top 6 this season.

i think tiredness was the main reason why we lost today which led to us being sloppy in possession for much of the game also we looked a yard of the pace.maybe the inverness game goin to extra time was a big factor.todays game aside weve done really well so far this season and im sure well bounce back starting next week against falkirk

I dont think it was a particularly bad show today, Hibs have better players than us and they showed it.

We, as a support, might have got a bit carried away with Gannon and the start and I suspected Hibs might put us in our place today, which they did.

Im not too worried by the loss and Im sure we will bounce back.

The abuse some of the players were taking at times was shite and just shows the percentage of ghouls that reside at FP on matchday.

I dont think it was a particularly bad show today, Hibs have better players than us and they showed it.

We, as a support, might have got a bit carried away with Gannon and the start and I suspected Hibs might put us in our place today, which they did.

Im not too worried by the loss and Im sure we will bounce back.

The abuse some of the players were taking at times was shite and just shows the percentage of ghouls that reside at FP on matchday.

I agree overall in what you said Faddy. We had to lose eventually, but I expected more at home, at least a draw, but the win at Tannadice was a bonus so it evens out. Yes there are some neds at FP and as I said before, the rest of the fans should boo them or tell them to shut it, but it's easy for me to say being so far away. Anyway, we will bounce back as you said.

Or today maybe - just maybe - the much maligned Yogi got it right. Sometiumes it's not how bad we got ot but how right the other guys got it. We'll get 'em next time, I am sure.

Maybe Haggis. I was basing my assessment on the fact that Jim Gannon has a deserved reputation for thorough preparation and tactical awareness whilst as most Falkirk fans will tell you Joh Hughes has not.

Whilst Gannon is confident his side can make big strides this year, he pleaded for some realism after a summer of transition.

“I have no illusions about us finishing third in the table as we are not quite strong enough yet,” he admitted.

“It is not really my place to predict where we will finish in the table; all I am looking for is getting the best out of my players and seeing where this takes us at the end of the season.

“There are other clubs who are better off financially and stronger who will compete for third, I am looking forward to working with my players, seeing our players improve and seeing where that takes us.”

Morning afterthoughts.

Hibs offered the best opposition so far. It was known beforehand they were a team weak at the back but lots of flair up front. So it was no big shock to see the speed with which they could counter attack.

However it was a shame that much of the defeat was down to our own making. Motherwell looked tired and mis-shaped today. I can see the merits in wing backs, but as was shown by all the goals, this leaves huge gaps at the back. I don't blame either Yassin or Stevie for this - its the tactics of the team. I think Hately and Forbes are meant to lie deeper to accommodate this. If so, it didn't work today. Apart from surrendering our full back positions, we also gave up our capacity to maintain possession and creativity in midfield.

OK, JG got it wrong today. It got happen sometimes. We don't have a big squad - but we do have more than 14 players. I think this was an occasion for some rotation. Some players looked tired but only he knows why he didn't rest Coke with Jennings and Saunders with Craigan. Humphrey could have come on earlier. Lasley isn't a creative type but I think he could have snuffed out that wee Moroccan niaf.

Something still at the development stage though is attack. We still lack both a killer pass into the box and a lethal finisher. Sadly young Ross seems to have the best shot in the team at present - but plays too deep to use it much. Lukas seems to be the preferred option but he's no Coyne or Pettigrew. On the bright side, I think Bob McHugh shows some promise and deserves a chance. He's still got a long way to go mind, but he moves well. Young Slane has yet to appear. I wonder what his pace on one wing, and Humphrey on the other could do.

Let's keep the faith.

No real complaints about yesterday - we didn't really get into our stride for long enough spells.

Still it's exciting times at Fir Park and we've got a great young side led by an exciting manager.

We will have more results / performances like that - however I think they'' be outweighed by positive shit.

C'mon the Well

I noticed a quote from JG during the week saying that we did not have a squad big enough to allow for rotation. While I agree with this to a point, I think that there is a couple players that could have been rested on Tuesday. Laslay, Jennings and Craigan are surely good enough to perform against a First Division side. It would have allowed him to rest Coke, Forbes and possibly one of the Central Defenders.

I think the fact they did not play shows how far down the pecking order they have fallen. We won the game on Tue so can't complain but the lack of energy and tiredness has been evident since last weekend, infact Forbes was out on his feet after 60 mins of the Aberdeen game.

I thought we lost the game yesterday rather than Hibs winning it. They only started to play when they went 3-1 up. Coke in particular was disappointing and that must go down to tiredness. I think Yass may have to be curbed a bit when going forward but he is a very tidy football player who can kill the ball with a single touch.

As others have said it will come good again. 9 points in the grand scheme of things is ok.

I agree with folk who said Coke was quite poor, probably down to tiredness, but those highlights show at least 2 (I think) tackles he put in to prevent definate goals, so fair play to him.

Forbes needs either rested or dropped IMO, not too sure which though. At times, he just looked like he thought he was running the place, when in reality, he wasnt actually that great. Whether thats down him getting a bit full of himself or just tiredness that brought on the poor passing, as I said I'm not too sure.

Moutaouakil could do with being reminded he's a defender at times, and although its good to see him going forward, he was definately posted missing at the back on a few occasions.

I've maybe been a bit harsh on Forbes there, but I'm sure we'll bounce back, hopefully next week and take 3 points from Falirk.

Wasn't there on saturday but by all reports we were well gubbed. Saunders and Reynolds not strong enough for a defensive pairing. What's happened to Reynolds at left back and Hammell left mid. Bring back Craigan. We also need to sign a striker Luckewizch is crap and Sutton isn't much better. I like Gannon and he's honest enough to say top 3 is beyond us. That result confirms that. :whistling:

Sensible post. You weren't there but Reynolds and Saunders weren't strong enough? Strong enough for what? Reynolds was strong enough to score with a header. Saunders won everything in the air in both boxes, other than Reynold's goal!

The three goals were in no way down to them and they both looked strong in posession, the Gannon way.

Two clean sheets against Rangers and Dumpdee disnae count?

This is the sort of stuff I've been hearing from old firm and new firm fans recently because they don't play young players and don't know what it's like to put faith and trust in young blood.

Truth is Hibs bossed the midfield and scored from 2 set plays and a midfielder caught in possession.

Gannon may change things for saturday but I don't think it reflects badly on these two, confident young men, one of whom has captained the side for the last 3 games.