Weak Up Front

Welldaft Mk1

All in all Gannon has done a very good job thus far.

That said I am probably not alone in thinking now and before the end of the transfer window, that we had not adequately replaced the goals from Porter, Clarkson and Sheridan.

This is coming back to haunt us. Has a forward actually scored a league goal yet?

Hibs won today because they have natural goalscorers. I hope big Lukas comes good, but I would put my house on the fact that if presented with the chance that Riordan scored from he would probably have somehow missed.

I think we are stronger in defence and midfield and weaker in attack. Maybe we could have got one less midfielder in the summer and one more striker.

I think the one thing we're lacking is a pacy dribbler up front who is comfortable with the ball at their feet. Murphy's done well the last couple of games but without the pace he needs to be a wee bit stronger on the ball. Lukas and Sutton are both good at taking a touch and laying it off or having an effort but the real thing we're missing is a Clarkson type player who will run with the ball and have the strength/pace to hold onto it/skin people.

Murphy could get there I reckon but needs to strengthen himself to do that job. McHugh's a decent enough player given the time but looked a bit lost today. Give him another season perhaps and he might be in more of a position to make a positive contribution.

Sutton did the work of two men today but couldn't be in two places at once. Ran himself into the ground and did a lot of good work, but he had no-one up front with him really.

Well, I disagree. With Humphrey back in contention I'd drop Lukas. With two pacey and skillfull attacking wingers then you just need a guy like John Sutton. Then again, When Slane comes back in you have another guy not afraid to have a pop from outside the area.

The problem today was that we were comfortable to pass the ball around and wait for an opening.

I think one of the things we lacked today was experience - could have done with Craigan back. The youth is fine for the pace but you need the right mix with experience to balance it. But overall I would agree that Jim Gannon has been doing pretty well for us. Bet they will play a lot better next week as they will learn a bit from today.

I sort of disagree with that. We got into promising positions and the forwards were behind play. They need to get closer together and closer to the midfield or it is an impossibility to play through the teams. Its a two way thing service. The midfield need to be able to play the ball and the forwards need to be in a position to receive it and I thought we failed on both counts today meaning that often the midfield had to play sideways rather than have the chance to play the defence splitting pass.

Have to agree with this one. Seen all our SPL games so far except Aberdeen and although we play some really good football we lack real penetration and goal scoring threat. Today, for example, I thought we never looked like scoring from open play and that our best chance of goals were going to come from set-pieces.

Jutkiewicz just doesn't fit into the formation and can't play the position he is being asked to play. Its as simple as that. When Slane comes back Jutkiewicz be back on the bench, unless Gannon loses the plot and thinks he knows better than the evidence on the park.

It's Jutkiewicz or Sutton, not both and on this seasons form Sutton looks the better bet.

Today:

Oh what i wouldn't give for an instinctive striker that could rattle the ball in the net every time

Problem is every club in the world is looking for one of them. I think the last one we had was TC.

This could be the one thing that means this team miss out on the top six place, possible cup semi or even final. We desperately need a striker who will get at least 15-18 goals a season. These type of players aren't easy to find and there will be very few available now or in the January transfer window.

We really miss players with the class of Chris Porter, Clarky and McCormack. Their goals really made the difference and like Hibs today they could hurt teams when it mattered. In saying that the players we have will still draw or win more than they will lose.

Today was a harsh lesson from a team who have more quality up front.

I didn't know Lukas was playing until 40 minutes in, was this down to Hibs excellent marking of him or is he just pish or does he need a run of games? either way Sutton looked as if he was up front on his own, no partnership to speak of.

However, we're a young side and when it gets bad it's going to look really bad like today at times.

Sutton is a really good player and he's a proven goal scorer when he gets the kind of service he needs. He works hard for the team and I'm sure he'll come good.

Lukas looks a tidy player too. Full of potential but I think his lack of ability to read the play is leaving him behind Sutton and possibly McHugh soon if he doesn't get the finger out.

Lukas looks a tidy player too. Full of potential but I think his lack of ability to read the play is leaving him behind Sutton and possibly McHugh soon if he doesn't get the finger out.

McHugh had a mare when he came on - I'm not having a go at him other than observing that he gave the ball away every single time without exception.

I don't think there's anything to panic about. Big Lucas will come good.

Cast your mind's back to July when we had nae players and nae manager. To be where we are now is just an immense achievement.

This could easily have been like the post administration season a young team getting pounded week in week out. it looks as if it'll be nothing like that fortunately.

I noticed this blatantly at the game against rangers.

There is noone to put the ball in the net on a regular basis and its a shame because motherwell are playing some very nice football and creating some good chances.

The failure to score in and around the penalty area i think could cost Motherwell a top 4 slot this season and it's a shame because of all the good work that's been put in and the level of ability some of the young guys have.

Oh aye don't get me wrong i certainly wasn't having a go. I'll happily put my hands up to being one of the people who feared that relegation could very well be a reality this season after losing such a huge part of the squad from the past few seasons.

However,as much as it is early days i don't think relegation should be a problem this season and some of the work done has been absolutely amazing. However, when things seem to be going well we all get greedy don't we - and that's all i was saying as such, it would be nice to finish off some chances.

Oh aye don't get me wrong i certainly wasn't having a go. I'll happily put my hands up to being one of the people who feared that relegation could very well be a reality this season after losing such a huge part of the squad from the past few seasons.

However,as much as it is early days i don't think relegation should be a problem this season and some of the work done has been absolutely amazing. However, when things seem to be going well we all get greedy don't we - and that's all i was saying as such, it would be nice to finish off some chances.

Know exactly what you're saying mate but to be honest I'm past getting greedy, just thankful that Jimbob has achieved what he has thus far. Not oout of the woods though cos SPL teams traditionally aren't slow in recognising positive attributes and finding ways to nullify threats but for now have to say I'm more than satisified with how things are going.

Che sera sera and all that.