Jim O'Brien

DEWELL

i remember mcdonald going in the huff when we turned down a bid from rangers in the january so he hadny agreed to sign for celtic at that point.wasnt martin oneill leaving celtic in the summer so id be surprised if mcdonald had agreed anything with celtic before strachan took over.thats what i thought had happened mate i could be wrong though

McDonald signed a pre-contract with Celtic in March that year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ell/6495029.stm

In the next match after signing for Celtic he scored the two goals against Dunfermline. Since Dunfermline were eventually relegated the match was a old fashioned 6 pointer.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would he be worth more? if he's out of contract in six months and he is isn't going to feature during that time all he is someone taking a wage.

this seems to be another thing which has been very badly handled. i don't rate him that highly but i but i'd have been delighted to see him come on when we were trapped in our half in the 2nd on saturday. if he leaves or is frozen out he'll have to be replaced (not by slane) in the window.

If he's not going to play we'd be as well to take the £20,000 and get him off the wage bill, cos otherwise he's a just a drain on our resources.

I'd prefer if he stayed but as I said before that depends on the players attitude and the managers plans and we don't know what they are right now.

Why not? If they want to play funny beggars with a relatively small offer for a player?

why would they swap a young player they rate highly, who has just signed a new contract and who has set up several goals this season for one who we don't want anymore who is out of contract at the end of the season.

why would they swap a young player they rate highly, who has just signed a new contract and who has set up several goals this season for one who we don't want anymore who is out of contract at the end of the season.

Mebbes just to say to them make a reasonable, non-insulting offer then?

If u ask me i think that aberdeen is a sideways step, they might have more supporters and a bigger wage bill, but is there any real appeal going up there and having to deal with the unrealistic expectations there fans set bcos they were succesful in the 80's?

I like o brien and he has came onto a game recently the penalties and fouls he's won have helped the team to gain more points than maybe we should have.

We are building a team here from young players the progress so far has been gr8 and ne1 who doesn't want to be a part of it well its there loss.

Remember this is the way to get things done i remember a youth team taking the premier league by storm, giggs,beckham,scholles,the nevilles bro's all pro youth players.

i'm not saying for a minute any of our current crop will reach these dizzy heights but with the right coaching there is no reason why they wont fulfill there potential.

If you want to go jim i'll take the money for you and wish you all the best, you've had your biggest successes as a player with mcghee so who can blame you.

bring on slane and the hump they can get the chance to learn the things u did last year at a more tender age how much more progress will these guys make with that head start?

Has anyone asked JOB what he wants? Lots of speculation but nothin from JOB or the club. He may resign. May not, if he doesnt i dont think Aberdeen is a step up. League 1 or Champrionship should be his asperations.

Personally i think he will be off to Middelsburgh.

The £20K is probably his wages for the remainder of his contract. Not great but that's life I suppose.

Fair enough. But if they wnat him that bad then slap an extra 30 grand on it and THEN we can start negotiating. I'd rather we kept him until his contract runs out than strengthen them just to save us one wage - unless that wage is going on bringing someone else in.

As it stands we lose a good player and give a rival a good player just for the sake of 20 grand? Naw, no thanks.

Personally i think he will be off to Middelsburgh.

Labouring on the Redcar site dismantling the steelworks ?

FFS He cant pass an SPL defender , didnt exactly rip apart the SFL ones we faced in the cup and the least said about Llanelli the better, yet you think he's Championship bound ?

freeing up his wages and getting £20k would be a good bit of business IMO , not much use to us in the stands , surpised if Aberdeen offer the £20k though.

Fair enough. But if they wnat him that bad then slap an extra 30 grand on it and THEN we can start negotiating. I'd rather we kept him until his contract runs out than strengthen them just to save us one wage - unless that wage is going on bringing someone else in.

As it stands we lose a good player and give a rival a good player just for the sake of 20 grand? Naw, no thanks.

Spot on. A signing like that for those filthy bastards could make all the difference come the end of the season so rather than take their shitey offer and reduce the wage bill by a small amount I reckon we'd be best to keep hold till May.

On the offer itself, it just goes to prove what a lowlife McGhee is.

P.s. Where did those tinks get 20k from anyway? Must be hoorin that big fud Miller out through the week or something?

Labouring on the Redcar site dismantling the steelworks ?

FFS He cant pass an SPL defender , didnt exactly rip apart the SFL ones we faced in the cup and the least said about Llanelli the better, yet you think he's Championship bound ?

freeing up his wages and getting £20k would be a good bit of business IMO , not much use to us in the stands , surpised if Aberdeen offer the £20k though.

Disagree mate, when he's played in the spl this season he's looked sharp and caused defences problems. I am not saying he is amazing but saying he cant pass an spl defender is baws.

Just my opinion.

JOB has served the club well his rapid change of pace and direction for one is better than any other spl player. He would be missed but id rather free up his wages for a big lazy striker and bring on slane and humphrey.

If he's decided to move on then we should whore him to every club that can afford him. O'Brien is a steal at that price. I would be delighted if Gannon spent 20 grand and brought in a player at his age and with his ability. I thought he was a good player for us and would have liked to see him stay, develop his game more and then get his move.

Come January I doubt that will be the only offer on the table.

Disagree mate, when he's played in the spl this season he's looked sharp and caused defences problems. I am not saying he is amazing but saying he cant pass an spl defender is baws.

Just my opinion.

I am with you Brazilfc. Amazing to see that we have those who think O'Brien is a waste of a jersey and others (like myself) who think he has performed quite well this season.

Maybe we don't rate McGhee either anymore - but you have to question why he appears so keen to sign O'Brien if as some state on here he will not be missed or is not at all talented. I would also be surprised if Gannon suddenly does not rate him - unless as speculated it comes down to his attitude???

As for £20k at Xmas - tell them to get to #*#* £100k minimum or we keep him till the summer.

I am with you Brazilfc. Amazing to see that we have those who think O'Brien is a waste of a jersey and others (like myself) who think he has performed quite well this season.

Maybe we don't rate McGhee either anymore - but you have to question why he appears so keen to sign O'Brien if as some state on here he will not be missed or is not at all talented. I would also be surprised if Gannon suddenly does not rate him - unless as speculated it comes down to his attitude???

As for £20k at Xmas - tell them to get to #*#* £100k minimum or we keep him till the summer.

True , flogging a dead horse , some think he's won us many points , others dont. Last post from me on him as im sure some of you are only out to wind me up :D

A couple of things first , when Gannon had Humphry and Slane available he wasnt adverse to moving Obrien from the attacking position or out of the team altogether so its not something out of thin air.

He does have pace and a change of direction but so does a waltzer. Unfortunately his direction is just about never towards goal with purpose , heading for the corner then holding it up isnt heading to goal as far as im concerned , i think he should learn how to tackle and try for a defensive position somewhere. He's shown here and elsewhere (lets not forget his scoring and assist records elsewhere) that he isnt going to get goals or set them up in this league - and this league isnt of a very high level when it comes to defending

I stand by he cant beat a full back , Slane shamed him against Llanelli when he came on (welsh part timers FFS) does winning a few throw ins out of Whittaker in what was lauded as one of his better games count ? He won us points at Tannadice by winning a penalty , if he could make meaningful runs like that for himself and not just on occasions rarer than the solar eclipse when the last defender plays him the ball in the box id see what a lot on here are seeing. 18 months , give me one name of a full back who he's had the better of (if anyone manages that, bonus point for 3 games where he's created a goal from open play , 18 months to pick from and he was doing it week in week out when playing apparantly, i'll give you Killie at home to start you off)

We havent missed him IMO the past few games , the United and Aberdeen games speak for themselves.

Oh and everyone is entitled to their opinion but if anyone thinks he is worth £100k ... :lol:

For me he was our best outfield player this season up until a few weeks ago.

There's no way we should sell him for £20k. It'd be retarded. For a start, what kind of message does that send out to other clubs looking to maybe sign one of our players? It'd just have them thinking they can offer us buttons and we'd just bend over and accept it.

For me he was our best outfield player this season up until a few weeks ago.

There's no way we should sell him for £20k. It'd be retarded. For a start, what kind of message does that send out to other clubs looking to maybe sign one of our players? It'd just have them thinking they can offer us buttons and we'd just bend over and accept it.

why would it be retarded to take 20 grand for someone who could well never play for us again? we'd get the fee, save in wages and get someone who doesn't want to be here and could spread a bit of miscontent in the dressing room out of the way.

It sends out the wrong signal for me in terms of how the club values it's players. Plus it'd be strengthening a team that's chasing us for a top 6 place. O'Brien signing for them in January could help them pip us for top 6 and that'd cost us a lot more than £20k. They're only 2 points behind us as it is. Fair enough, they're 6th, but Hearts will surely get a bit better and come into it.

I don't know the situation in the dressing room, whether O'Brien's discontented or whether he'd be happy to play for Motherwell for the rest of the season. However, from the outside looking in, I'd say keep him. If he plays, he can help us like McDonald did after signing a pre-contract with Celtic. If he doesn't play, I'd rather he was sitting in the stand than helping Aberdeen at our expense. Failing that, whip up a bit of interest in him to see if someone can top the whopping £20k offered by Aberdeen. Others are bound to have noticed him this season aside from McGhee.