Jim O'Brien

DEWELL

But if he then goes and plays 15 games for Aberdeen between now and the end of the season,

scores a couple of goals,

wins them 4 or 5 scorable penalty/free kicks,

and gets three or 4 opposition players sent off

all of which amounts to them picking up an extra 6-9 points and edging us back a place then 20K is not enough.

I know its all ifs buts n maybes

but I've never been a fan of strengthening the opposition, to do it for an amount that doesn't let us strengthen just doesn't add up, and we're already losing a fair few first team players in January

I'd tend to agree with Andy_P that this latest article is not a new story, no quotes etc its just a rehash of an earlier article, no new developments just old snippets regurgitated to fill a few column inches, either Mcghee or JOBs agent keeping the story alive

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I note there are no quotes attached in the article but the hope would now be that there is someone else out there who is also interested who is prepared to match or better Aberdeen's offer meaning we get some extra dosh and Aberdeen get, well, fuck all really.

Can't see it mind you but would be amusing if someone else came in and turned his head at this stage.

Yep. A new contract for Slane would have us forget all about JOB.

The Aberdeen FC manager has also informed the Steelmen that they have made a move for O'Brien and it's expected Aberdeen FC will follow that up by making an offer of about £20,000 in an effort to persuade the Fir Park club to part with him earlier.

Unless MFC have given permission for him to speak to JOB he is tapping up our player and if he has gone on record saying as much we should take this to the SFA and get the gellatinous parasite fined!

Until Jan1st when he can do as he likes,he needs permission to speak to any contracted player, fucking prick

But if he then goes and plays 15 games for Aberdeen between now and the end of the season,

scores a couple of goals,

wins them 4 or 5 scorable penalty/free kicks,

and gets three or 4 opposition players sent off

all of which amounts to them picking up an extra 6-9 points and edging us back a place then 20K is not enough.

I know its all ifs buts n maybes

but I've never been a fan of strengthening the opposition, to do it for an amount that doesn't let us strengthen just doesn't add up, and we're already losing a fair few first team players in January

I'd tend to agree with Andy_P that this latest article is not a new story, no quotes etc its just a rehash of an earlier article, no new developments just old snippets regurgitated to fill a few column inches, either Mcghee or JOBs agent keeping the story alive

Agree totaly with this.

What if McGarry goes to St Mirren and scores 10 goals for them?

If we don't need or want O'Brien then he should go, we shouldn't be keeping him because we're worried about what he'll do elsewhere. We're in control of our own destiny here, and where we finish will come down to how well or badly we play, not how many penalties O'brien wins for the sheep.

TBH, slane could probably do everything on that list (or better) for us.

McGhee now admits there's not even £20K in their budget. Why would anyone want to go and play there, can't imagine O'Brien believes this is a step up in any way when, in order to get new players in, they will clearly have to sell and sell big time.....

Mark McGhee hopes to land Motherwell's Jim O'Brien for free - and admitted Aberdeen can't buy anyone, reports the Scottish Sun.

The Dons have opened talks to take the midfielder to Pittodrie under freedom of contract in the summer.

Well boss Jim Gannon would let former Celtic kid O'Brien go when the transfer window opens - but only for a £20,000 fee.

But McGhee insists his cash-strapped club can't even afford that and is prepared to wait.

He said: "We are attempting to persuade Jim to sign a pre-contract which would see him join us in the summer.

"He has told us through his agent that, while he's interested in what we have to say, he doesn't want anyone to question his commitment to Motherwell.

"He wants to keep giving his best while he is still at Fir Park, which is admirable.

"I doubt anything will happen soon as we haven't had any contact back from Motherwell.

"But from what I'm reading, if we want to take him in January they will require a small fee.

"Well we won't have a small fee to pay for him or anyone, which is why I am lining things up for summer.

"If something happens quicker than that then great, but I won't be holding my breath.

"We still hope to get Paul Marshall from Manchester City either on loan or if he's freed, but he looks like the only one.

"There's no money in the pot, but I knew that when I came here, so I'm not going to start bleating about it now.

"I'd love to have some money as there are players out there who would improve our chances of doing what we want to do.

"But we are not in that position, so we can't start moaning about it now."

I was never really taken in by the notion that mcghee was trying to unsettle o'brien / motherwell with all this talk ... but the more this story has played out - the more suspect it seems.

it could be argued as well that whatever attempts he might have made have worked.

Daily Retard story runs along the same lines,but this caught my eye, ,

The Reds gaffer said: "You don't need permission to speak to players, it is a courtesy. We are now attempting to persuade Jim to sign a pre-contract that would see him join us in the summer.

surely its tapping up which is forbidden by league rules.

Approach to, by or in relation to Registered Players

D8.1

Except during the last 6 months of the term of a Player’s Contract of Service,

no Registered Player may be approached, either in person or through or by

an agent or other third party, by or on behalf of another Club with a view to

that Player entering into a Contract of Service with and/or becoming a Player

of that other Club without the permission in writing of the Club for which the

Player is Registered being first obtained.

Mutley was first banging on about this before our game with them in November which based on the season ending in May and its reasonable to presume players contracts run till the end of a particular season is at least 7 months and therefore illegal

Does anyboy know what date JOB's contract actually ends. If it is the end of May, as said in the previous post, then he is already in the last 6 months of it. It was onlyu rumoured in November, no quotes or anything.

Surely Muttley isn't stupid enough to go public with this unless that is the case.

You don't need permission to speak to players, it is a courtesy

He must mean that it is courtesy to ask for permission when in the last 6 months, but essential before that.

Either way, it shows him up for the arrogant prick that he is when he admits that he won't show common courtesy to a fellow SPL manager.