Jim O'Brien

DEWELL

heres a thought - anyone know what final league positions are worth financially... does the club get more than 20k more for finishing 5th rather than 6th for example - if so ide say JOB could be the difference in where we finish this season.... so my point is even if we lose him for nothing next year... will we not get more than 20k out of him anyway? So possibly no point selling as a result?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think in terms of the season so far, he has offered the team a great deal in terms of his attacking ability. Whilst he may not always skin a defender inside out, he has the ability to at least draw a foul or pick someone else out with a pass. Kilmarnock at home, Dundee United away and St Mirren away are three examples which spring to mind in terms of penalties won, which have helped earn us 6 points and a point respectively. Also in the Killie & Hibs game at home, he provided both crosses which we scored from at corners. All in all, Jim's has arguably had a signifcant impact on some of the goals and points that we have earned this season, so i do find it puzzling that people seem to think he's pish.

Humphrey & Slane aside, we have next to no options for wide creative players who can make the difference, and whilst these two remain on the sidelines, Slane especially who hasn't kicked a ball in the SPL all season, i think were foolish to freeze him out of the team. That said, if whats been discussed has to be believed, then i doubt very much we'll see much more of him in a 'well shirt, with limited appearences, if any coming from the bench.

Kilmarnock at home, Dundee United away and St Mirren away are three examples which spring to mind in terms of penalties won, which have helped earn us 6 points and a point respectively. Also in the Killie & Hibs game at home, he provided both crosses which we scored from at corners. All in all, Jim's has arguably had a signifcant impact on some of the goals and points that we have earned this season, so i do find it puzzling that people seem to think he's pish.

That would be 7 then? ;)

To be honest, and I think I've mentioned this before, I find it puzzling that we allegedly have so many shite players yet are doing so well considering where we thought we might be at this stage back in July.

Lighten up people and enjoy what you have for now. Could have beena whole lot worse so give the guys up there some credit. :lol:

From Pressport-

Gannon shook hands with all the Motherwell players after the game..except...Jim O'Brien who was shaking his head and had a face like thunder as he stormed straight down the tunnel.

If he wasn't done before, he is now. Petulant wee fuck.

If he wasn't done before, he is now. Petulant wee fuck.

I've been somewhere in the middle of some who seem to think O'Brien has been sensational and those who just can't find anything good to say about him but that's quite an interesting remark Neil.

It sticks in my mind right back in Gannon's first game against Llanelli when O'Brien, who was hardly having a startling game himself, got very visibly and audibly ripped into Steven Saunders.

I remember thinking that kind of stuff probably wouldn't be well received by Gannon and thought it was quite telling that within about a minute it was O'Brien and not Saunders who was hooked. I don't imagine a similar show of public frustration will be well received this time either.

I find it a wee bit of a shame with O'Brien that its another relationship between manager and player that seems to have gone awry as I felt he was contributing pretty well earlier in the campaign. But given we're at the start of a rebuilding job, if he's had his head turned by Aberdeen and is planning to head off soon it does seem sensible enough to get used to life without him and use him sparingly.

I think it's obvious O Brien has ideas above his station, unfortunately in his delusions he thinks Aberdeen is a big move for him. There is no doubt since the Aberdeen speculation came around, he's not really done much, Pearson syndrome?

Aye but since the speculation he has hardly had much game time. Went on a good run today and came very close to scoring. Personally, I think he will be missed and he should be looking for a move much better than Aberdeen.

Was it O'Brien who missed by inches late on today?

If so, then it's the best thing he's done in a Motherwell shirt for atleast 6 weeks. He if doesn't want to be here and no one offers decent money for him he can sit on the bench 'til May.

Aye, has actually been his best effort at goal since his post striking shot at Perth on the first day of the season. Sadly, it has actually been one of his best ever efforts for us......which does underscore and highlight in italics his greatest weakness. Great skill but lacks a final delivery/finish.

I've been somewhere in the middle of some who seem to think O'Brien has been sensational and those who just can't find anything good to say about him but that's quite an interesting remark Neil.

It sticks in my mind right back in Gannon's first game against Llanelli when O'Brien, who was hardly having a startling game himself, got very visibly and audibly ripped into Steven Saunders.

I remember thinking that kind of stuff probably wouldn't be well received by Gannon and thought it was quite telling that within about a minute it was O'Brien and not Saunders who was hooked. I don't imagine a similar show of public frustration will be well received this time either.

I think it's obvious O Brien has ideas above his station

Is this guy one of those guys that just wants to run before he has learned to walk? It's hard for me from where I am but he's just one of those players I've never taken to.

Aye but since the speculation he has hardly had much game time. Went on a good run today and came very close to scoring. Personally, I think he will be missed and he should be looking for a move much better than Aberdeen.

Have to agree here, i felt he gave us a bit of movement up front and looked a lot sharper than Jutkiewicz and McHugh did the whole game! Did well with his run and shot on goal, thought it was just gonna nick in off the post. I did see O'Brien going up the tunnel yesterday and i thought he had shook Gannon's hand, if not Gannon defenately gave him a pat on the back, but i'd agree he didn't look happy at all. Looks like its gonna be a bitter end to his 'well career, which is a shame as i think we will and have missed his creativity since he's been dropped.

Didn't see O'Brien yesterday, but have to say on this appearances since the Sheepeymehs story broke he's been worse than a man short. I'd rather have folk who want to wear the claret and amber and, based on that, won't be missed.

I remember someone posting that Jim O'Brien had split with his girlfriend over her unwillingness to move to Aberdeen (may have been Onthefringes?). There's a story in one of the Sunday rags confirming the split so there could be more than a bit of truth in this.

Never doubted my source for a minute :ph34r:

Boss McGhee keen on O’Brien

By Charlie Allan

Published: 21/12/2009

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee today confirmed they have moved closer to signing Motherwell winger Jim O’Brien.

McGhee has opened talks with the 22-year-old and his agent aimed at persuading O’Brien to sign a pre-contract agreement next month.

The Aberdeen FC manager has also informed the Steelmen that they have made a move for O’Brien and it’s expected Aberdeen FC will follow that up by making an offer of about £20,000 in an effort to persuade the Fir Park club to part with him earlier.

Read more: http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.as...=#ixzz0aKB5irBF

He'll be a big loss no doubt about it.

There's no way we should be looking to lose him for peanuts either. Especially to a direct competitor. As and someone else said, if accepted, sends out a completely the wrong message to other teams potentially wanting to sign anymore of our players. ie you can get them for next to nothing.

I know what your saying but the fact his contract is about to run out means we have to accept money offered from other clubs. Getting players on longer deals is important, which has been spoken about elsewhere on here. He's not as effective as he was earlier in the season anyway, as I think refs have got him down as a bit of a diver now.

If he's no intention of staying then we should take the £20K but not to another team that will be challenging us for the top six. No way. I'd rather keep him until the end of the season than possibly give our competitiors an edge. Unfortunately, maybe we will need that extra £20K to bring in someone else so it may be a case of trying not to cut off our nose to spite our face.

I note there are no quotes attached in the article but the hope would now be that there is someone else out there who is also interested who is prepared to match or better Aberdeen's offer meaning we get some extra dosh and Aberdeen get, well, fuck all really.

Can't see it mind you but would be amusing if someone else came in and turned his head at this stage.