The East Stand

Juan Kerse

That has no bearing on the fact that the East stand is a bit of a shithole though, does it?

Nope, it does not. The East Stand needs a lot of work on it, there's not doubt about that. But if you've ever been in the Main Stand at Tynecastle you'll know just how bad a trap that place is and how much it's an accident waiting to happen.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, the only way you can improve the East Stand would be to bulldoze it and build a stand similar to Tynecastle across from the main.

We don't have the boodle to do that, so we have to make do with oor East Stand me thinks.

It could do with a new Tannoy, it could do with better catering, it could do with a bookies and it could do with beer. Interestingly, if you put beer in it, I have no doubt the rest would be paid for by the beer revenue.

Seriously thou, I would take it forward as a suggestion for the Trust to take to the club, anything that could improve the East but not cost a fortune. So gives your ideas, and if possible how much it would cost for your improvement. We canny put beer in but without Kenny McCaskill's say-so and he'll no allow it after he got lifted all them years ago.

Is it not the case that you need a concourse out of view of the pitch for drinking beer

For me, the only way you can improve the East Stand would be to bulldoze it and build a stand similar to Tynecastle across from the main.

We don't have the boodle to do that, so we have to make do with oor East Stand me thinks.

It could do with a new Tannoy, it could do with better catering, it could do with a bookies and it could do with beer. Interestingly, if you put beer in it, I have no doubt the rest would be paid for by the beer revenue.

Seriously thou, I would take it forward as a suggestion for the Trust to take to the club, anything that could improve the East but not cost a fortune. So gives your ideas, and if possible how much it would cost for your improvement. We canny put beer in but without Kenny McCaskill's say-so and he'll no allow it after he got lifted all them years ago.

Don't get me started on the catering! It is the worst I have known it.

Every match without fail they sell out of macaroni and chicken balti pies and do they ever seem to bring in more? If they do it must be one pie more a home match as if you not at the pie stand at latest 10 minutes into the game they are all away, the macaroni anyway. The Celtic game was an exception to this as they weren't ready until nearly halftime and despite going up to the stall about 3 or 4 times I just managed to get the last macaroni pie when they finally were.

Saturday there no luck with getting the macaroni or the chicken balti, guy in front of me had no luck getting a hot dog and there was a sign saying no cola. To cap it off it shuts about 2 minutes in the the 2nd half every game. I used to prefer getting my pie(obviously a scotch or a steak at this time in the game) early in the 2nd half once the halftime queues had died away. Not anymore unless you watching the thing like a hawk as the shutters are down so quick the last customer must have to be quick to avoid losing a finger!

Some Ronseal stuff on the roof and the seats ripped oot are all thats required.

The old cage down the middle and a gate at the south stand end for away fans would be the icing on the cake.

The day the cage came down was the day we lost the atmosphere at the ground

Don't get me started on the catering! It is the worst I have known it.

Every match without fail they sell out of macaroni and chicken balti pies and do they ever seem to bring in more? If they do it must be one pie more a home match as if you not at the pie stand at latest 10 minutes into the game they are all away, the macaroni anyway. The Celtic game was an exception to this as they weren't ready until nearly halftime and despite going up to the stall about 3 or 4 times I just managed to get the last macaroni pie when they finally were.

Saturday there no luck with getting the macaroni or the chicken balti, guy in front of me had no luck getting a hot dog and there was a sign saying no cola. To cap it off it shuts about 2 minutes in the the 2nd half every game. I used to prefer getting my pie(obviously a scotch or a steak at this time in the game) early in the 2nd half once the halftime queues had died away. Not anymore unless you watching the thing like a hawk as the shutters are down so quick the last customer must have to be quick to avoid losing a finger!

I went for pies eight minutes into the game on saturday and when I got to the front of the queue, before I even opened my mouth, the wee lassie said 'All we've goat's mince pies'. So I purchased four mince pies that proceeded to fall to bits and land on my shoes. I think I'll keep the tenner in my pocket next time.

I think there are 2 reasons people still think its ok - we're all used to it now (I've been sitting in it for about 12 years) and wouldn't have it any other way and because of the romanticism of old football ground which we pride in being a million miles away from the Man Utd and Newcastle stadiums.

Personally, I think it’s a dump but I wouldnae sit in any other stand. However, if we were trying to attract new people to Fir Park then the stand and facilities will make that almost impossible as these folk don't already have the attachment to the club.

However, if we were trying to attract new people to Fir Park then the stand and facilities will make that almost impossible as they don't already have the attachment to the club.

I doubt the club would be in the financial position to be able to overhaul the stand anyway, so there isn't much point in looking for something along those lines.

Maybe a few small improvements here & there, such as the catering service and a repair to some of the toilets, would be affordable?

We could see some improvements without having to completely overhaul the stand, which I agree would take away some of it's appeal.

I don't subricribe to the 'wouldnt have it any other way' pish. It's a football stadium yes it's gonna be cold and noones looking for luxury either but when your paying through the fucking nose to watch substandard pish week in week out the very least they could provide you with is a decent place to sit and dare i say it take a pish now and again. And if your gonna be fleeced for a coffee and a burger,at least make the quality acceptable. Anything other than that is just bullshit and a complete failure on the clubs behalf.

The same people who don't complain are the same ones who would be irrate at a cold burger in mcdonalds or a slippy floor in the toilet of the restaurant they are in but why not the football? Is it at a stage where because people have some kind of love affair with the team they deserve to get fleeced week in week out for sub standard service??

Certainly seems that way, and i love the fact that people have always complained about certain things within fir park and everytime the club brings in someone whos gonna 'sort it out' every single one of them makes the same fuck ups.

The club is run on what appears to be a shoestring budget on and off the field - that i accept but sometimes a little investment in the people who continuously plough money into the club goes a long way.

It's great fun though ... ;) ... :P

I don't subricribe to the 'wouldnt have it any other way' pish. It's a football stadium yes it's gonna be cold and noones looking for luxury either but when your paying through the fucking nose to watch substandard pish week in week out the very least they could provide you with is a decent place to sit and dare i say it take a pish now and again. And if your gonna be fleeced for a coffee and a burger,at least make the quality acceptable. Anything other than that is just bullshit and a complete failure on the clubs behalf.

The same people who don't complain are the same ones who would be irrate at a cold burger in mcdonalds or a slippy floor in the toilet of the restaurant they are in but why not the football? Is it at a stage where because people have some kind of love affair with the team they deserve to get fleeced week in week out for sub standard service??

Great post!

It certainly seems that many have long since signed up to the 'romanticism' of sitting in a rotting dump. Perhaps it is the love affair with the old terraces on which the moulding plastic seats and leaking roof are bolted onto but if nostalgia is the reason then perhaps it is advisable to note that it doesn't cost pocket change like it did in nineteen canteen. Anyone who can happily pay half a shift's wages due to romanticism of a few wet and rusting concrete steps is surely completely subordinate.

Then again, I am as bad as anyone as I angrily pay that just to see my team - more fool me perhaps....

Certainly seems that way, and i love the fact that people have always complained about certain things within fir park and everytime the club brings in someone whos gonna 'sort it out' every single one of them makes the same fuck ups.

The club is run on what appears to be a shoestring budget on and off the field - that i accept but sometimes a little investment in the people who continuously plough money into the club goes a long way.

It's great fun though ... ;) ... :P

Excellent post.

I'm not sure there has to be a new ground, more just some revamping of the east stand.

Reality check required......

Just how much is spent each year maintaining the Phil O'Donnell stand ? And now the East Stand looks like it's also becoming a financial liability.

The slope on the pitch, the restricted view seats in every stand, the leg-room in the PoD Stand, the lack of all-round decent facilities .................. Fir Park is a midden and no longer fit for purpose. Going forward, MFC needs a new home.

Why such a massive outlay when essentially half the stadium is in good nick though. Why not rebuild the main in to something like the Accies stadia? They're both pretty similar in design, just accies is brick built. The East stand needs a new roof aye, thats all. A new stand doesn't mean the out sourced food franchise will have your pie ready.

Why such a massive outlay when essentially half the stadium is in good nick though. Why not rebuild the main in to something like the Accies stadia? They're both pretty similar in design, just accies is brick built. The East stand needs a new roof aye, thats all. A new stand doesn't mean the out sourced food franchise will have your pie ready.

The money that would take would be significant and I personally think both need to be bulldozed and replaced with a steeper higher stands.

I don't know if the club have costed scenarios like this as it's probably the one that would be the most popular amongst well fans and it's not clear if there's any activity going on behind the scenes to save for or fund the 'stay at Fir Park' option.

So it looks like when any recovery eventually comes we'll be selling up shop and using the funds to build on a brown field site somewhere else.

Surely it wouldn't cost that much to upgrade the toilets, fix the roof, improve the catering and overhaul the tannoy in the East? A stand sponsorhip deal could provide some finance for those improvements which are sorely needed.

Problem with new build is the foundations would have issues due to the old mine shafts.

My design, with the help of Malf's artistic skills, is based on the Molde Stadion in Norway. A 3 sided C -shape with 11,000 seats on 2 tiers. No Executive boxes, as in the drawing though, but an open concourse between both tiers with access to all supporters facilities;- toilets, food and drink stalls/bars, and retail outlets. The 4th side would house the main Club building, which would encorporate;- Club offices, Players facilities, Media centre, hotel/leisure complex, 2 tiers of executive boxes with viewing galleries and a central seated area for club officials and guests.

The sale of FP would assist, as would contributions from partner agencies such as the hotel/leisure group. Then there's the franchising of food/drink and retail outlets within the complex which would contribute additional revenue streams.

It's easy ............ just need to win Euromillions and donate the cash on the proviso my design comes to reality :P