January Transfer Window

TAM

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the sun, Don Cowie could be off to Watford...

Click here!

Quite gutted to be honest as I think he would be a terrific signing for us.

Maybe El Tel can persuade him by telling how mighty The Well are? :P

But sad truth is we just can't compete with Championship wages. :P

I'd rather have Lappin. :P

Just watching Press Box on Setanta there.

Billy Reid on it talking about how he had to let Yantarno return to Hibs as rules dictate he can only have one over 21 player on loan at one time and they already have an over 21 player.

Never heard of that before

Kinda rules out McGhee's multiple loan moves.

Steven Smith loan deal to St Mirren is off too.

Billy Reid on it talking about how he had to let Yantarno return to Hibs as rules dictate he can only have one over 21 player on loan at one time and they already have an over 21 player.

Steven Smith loan deal to rangers is off too.

Is that not one over 21 player from another SPL club at a time. As I am sure that Faroes guy was over 21 and so is Klimpl. In fact I'm right. Neilson turned 22 in October and Klimpl is 28

Wonde rif there is an option to sign either Yantorno or Smith. Would take both of them at The 'Ark - Smith would let Hammell move to the wing where i think he would be more effective, and Yantorno looked the part pre-injury with Gretna last year.

As far as I'm aware, it's an SPL rule involving loans between SPL clubs only.

Steven Smith loan deal to St Mirren is off too.

That rule doesn't apply to players registered to a different national association.

From the Express Article in the Porter to Cardiff thread.

Looks like there will be none to zero transfer or loan activity unless Porter (or someone else) leaves.

Meanwhile, McGhee has been foiled in his attempt to sign Byron Webster on loan for the rest of the season. He had enquired about the big centre half, who had a trial at Fir Park, but his Czech side FK SIAD Most have killed it by demanding a loan fee.

McGhee said: “We were keen to do something but his club wanted a loan fee and we aren’t in a position to pay that.

“So that ends our interest in Byron. We have seen a bit of Byron but it would still have been a gamble if we were going to have to pay a fee for him. “Money is tight and even if we were to sell Chris Porter I don’t think there would be any money for transfer fees.”

It's a fair point though. Our starting 11 is good in my opinion, but you need more than 11 players to make it through a season. Look how terible we were just before Christmas with a few of them out? It's entirely possible that's going to happen again and we take 1 point from 21! The run fucked our season, I don't want to think what another run like that could do!

If Porter goes and we get decent money for him, we're now being told none of that will be re-invested in the squad. I think that's a bit of a joke. The money from Faddys sell on clause, the money from McDonald, the compensation money from McCormack, the money from Paterson, the 3rd place finish, the Euro ties, the continual giving of the Cooper stand to the Old Firm. All of these have been extra money that we wouldn't have budgeted for and STILL we apparently don't have two brass farthing to rub together!!! We re told that Motherwell every year budget for 11th place and going out the cup in the 3rd round. Anything else is a bonus.

Something is seriously amiss folks.

If Porter goes and we get decent money for him, we're now being told none of that will be re-invested in the squad. I think that's a bit of a joke. The money from Faddys sell on clause, the money from McDonald, the compensation money from McCormack, the money from Paterson, the 3rd place finish, the Euro ties, the continual giving of the Cooper stand to the Old Firm. All of these have been extra money that we wouldn't have budgeted for and STILL we apparently don't have two brass farthing to rub together!!! We re told that Motherwell every year budget for 11th place and going out the cup in the 3rd round. Anything else is a bonus.

Well I'm sure the OF money will have been budgeted for and I also believe we HAVE to sell a player in order to break even most years. As for the Paterson, McDonald money that will be long gone, used to extend contracts, pay the likes of Hughes, Malcolm, Hammell and give McGhee his pay rise. We've also had the pitch to pay for.

Our crowds are also down this year which means less in from gate money, programme, merchandise and food sales.

Fans don't realize who much money it takes just to keep a club like Motherwell afloat and reasonably competitive.

I'm sure there isn't a hoard of gold being sat on.