Well Vs Hibs, Saturday 20th Feb

samson1886

I remember reading an interview from Coke when he first arrived from QPR saying that he had blown his chance there because of laziness and lethargy and that he was determined not to make the same mistake again. Hope he is not falling back into old habits after a great start to the season.

Wasn't it Northampton we got him from??

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you've made a very good point Starsail. I look at Coke now, and I see somebody not producing what he did when he joined. It could be he doesn't like playing wide left, but that's no excuse for the lethargy and slow thinking he now seems to be showing. Wouldn't get my vote over Jennings at the present time for the central midfield.

Coke will admit himself that he can't play wide left or right. All his career has been played in the middle as an attacking midfielder. Unfortunately the partnership of Lasley and Jennings has limited his chances of that role.

A fine 3 points yesterday. Not pretty to watch at times but the spirit and determination is as good at Motherwell just now as i've ever seen. We had guys like Craigan, Reynolds, Jennings and Lasley tackling and competing superbly. There's a real togetherness about us now and we're right in the mix for never mind the top 6 lets GO FOR EUROPE!!! :lol: .

Coke will admit himself that he can't play wide left or right. All his career has been played in the middle as an attacking midfielder.

For an attacking midfielder he can't beat a man and has absolutely no goal threat whatsoever.

I don't see Coke as an attacking midfielder at all. He's a decent touch, tackle and short pass player. He has no real flair or creativity about him. His game, it seems to me, is based on graft.

On the subject of Coke at left-mid I think he's in there because at the moment he fits the bill more than any other candidate we have for that position. Come the summer I would expect Brown and Knox to look for someone else for that position.

I think he's better in the middle but arguably like Hateley too the Lasley-Jennings partnership has been so successful (surprisingly?) that both have a tall order of getting back in there.

For me he fits in with the Brown and Knox ethos of being defensively solid, difficult to break down and hard to beat. If he can contribute going forward then great but I don't think the management will be overly fussed if he continues to do as he done there in recent times until they get someone else for that position.

McGlinchey, Forbes, Murphy and O'Brien when used on the left all offer much more in attack and have a role to play in specific situations and against specific opponents but in the main I think they would rather have a solid and dependable Coke in there to start a match rather than a more risky attacking players.

On the subject of Coke at left-mid I think he's in there because at the moment he fits the bill more than any other candidate we have for that position. Come the summer I would expect Brown and Knox to look for someone else for that position.

I think he's better in the middle but arguably like Hateley too the Lasley-Jennings partnership has been so successful (surprisingly?) that both have a tall order of getting back in there.

Sorry, what I meant was he's our best option there other that JOB (if/when Humphry gets a start at right mid) and he's doing very well IMO. Our best two centre mids are Hateley and Jennings I'd say, but obviosuly Lasley is playing because we don't have a right back, and I think this means we wont be seeing Coke at centre mid for a while.

I don't mind that the guy was successful with his appeal. Hughes comments annoy me though:

Following Hibs' loss at Fir Park, Hughes said of Miller's challenge: "It's not as if it was an over-the-ball tackle, just mistimed.

"It must have been a right bad tackle if the boy got up straight away and chased him for 15 yards!"

Aye, right John. So the fact that the JOB was quick enough to avoid getting his ankle broken makes it a less dangerous challenge. It's no wonder that players struggle with the rules when their managers don't know them either.