Barriers At East Stand Gates

Larky Mafia

When I saw the barriers and folk getting frisked on Saturday I knew it would result in a thred on here. It never occurred to me that the club was responsible. I automatically assumed it would be the responsibility of Strathclyde's finest who pull the strings behind the scenes but don't like taking the flak. Cars were still going up and down Knowetop Avenue before KO and folk were being forced onto the road. A good idea in principle though.

The frisking? Some on here are being a bit rich. Its happened to us at Dens and no one complained. But if our own club does it then folk aren't happy. Whats sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Ladywell, I completely agree with your comments.

I also think they should stop the traffic around the ground pre-game as well as post,

I stay right beside Fir Park and have seen a few incidents/accidents, that is only my opinion

though....

Takes an extra couple of minutes. Not an issue.

If the club have to do it then they have to do it. You get searched going into most nightclubs and often metal detected at gigs so don't see what the problem is with being searched at a football match.

However I do agree with MDW as they just ruffled my pockets which did contain a whole lot of stuff. Maybe they were just looking for bottles/containers.

I'm not 100% sure but I thought consent had to be given for a frisk search, certainly in Airports and Prisons I've always been asked for permission to frisk me.

Overall I agree with the points raised earlier, in the event of an incident the club can point to x y z measures put in place and lessen the impact much in the way the club have dealt with the pitch scenario they have to be seen to be pro active.

The searches were a complete waste of time. I was searched and could've smuggled an ak47 in under my jacket it was that half arsed. It was obviously just for show in the wake of the smoke bomb incident at Hamilton imo.

Folk are just pissed of at having their time wasted and missing the start of the match through no fault of their own. Just how we were meant to leave early when nooone knew about these new measures is beyond me.

Sat was a pretty small gate and even then there was a fair bit of tension buidling in the queue, and the potential for arguments and worse for someone to get run over was there for all to see. If they're going to persist with this then the roads have to be closed to traffic and proper barriers put on place to allow for two or three queues to the turnstyles.

This is just another example of how the Club manage to fuck up even the easiest of tasks. :P

i've never had any probs with the stewards.the only 1 that bugs me is the young guy wae glasses that does the north end of the pod stand.for some reason he always stops right next to me or sits in the row behind as if he thinks i'm up tae something. :P

The searches were a complete waste of time. I was searched and could've smuggled an ak47 in under my jacket it was that half arsed. It was obviously just for show in the wake of the smoke bomb incident at Hamilton imo.

Folk are just pissed of at having their time wasted and missing the start of the match through no fault of their own. Just how we were meant to leave early when nooone knew about these new measures is beyond me.

Sat was a pretty small gate and even then there was a fair bit of tension buidling in the queue, and the potential for arguments and worse for someone to get run over was there for all to see. If they're going to persist with this then the roads have to be closed to traffic and proper barriers put on place to allow for two or three queues to the turnstyles.

This is just another example of how the Club manage to fuck up even the easiest of tasks. :P

a thought the roads round the ground were supposed tae be closed for 15 mins before and after the game or did the police give up on that 1. :lol:

the east stand was always pish for stewarding,i mind the game against aberdeen 2 years back when some guy behind me was put out despite having a season ticket.don't know about yous but if somebody was in my st seat at a ticket game they could get tae fack cos a wouldnae be moving.

mate at work took his kid along on a complimentary and a steward sent him to join the queue at the east stand where he was then sent back to the cooper where he had started,there alsoseemed to be an incident involving stewards in the killie end at full time.

I took my son who has a 'passport' from the Community Coaching. The guy on the turnstile hadn't a clue what it was and I had to squeeze both of us through on the one turn, so that it didn't register on the counter??

Last turnstyle on the left in the Cooper. Said cash only, but only one of us was paying.

This thread is turning into a moan-athon. But its all points I hope the club respond on.

Yet another communication lapse from the club. How hard is it to remember that the fans are the people that make the club worth anything, the reason for its continued existence? Yet despite the occasional burst of communiques you get a change that impacts on the fans and it a case of "whoops we meant to tell you."

Will always be the same it seems despite protestations of things improving.

Guest 'Flow
Yet another communication lapse from the club. How hard is it to remember that the fans are the people that make the club worth anything, the reason for its continued existence? Yet despite the occasional burst of communiques you get a change that impacts on the fans and it a case of "whoops we meant to tell you."

Will always be the same it seems despite protestations of things improving.

Here's the thing - communication from Motherwell Football Club is getting better and a lot better than some other SPL clubs.

The issue you have at Motherwell and other football clubs is quite unique. If you were going to your local McDonalds for a meal or Comet to buy a IPod, they wouldn’t be advertising a fence outside their premises before you arrive, they would just do it and you probably wouldn't think too much of it.

However, football fans, as a rule, thirst and crave every single bit of information possible and when that is the case, anything that is missed becomes a source and an avenue for criticism. I was honest to say that the breakdown in communication came in here when I wasn't aware that it was happening (or has been happening in the last few games). It only came to light when I seen this thread. However, as a result, I will be given a copy of the safety pre-ops documents so if there's anything like that in future, I can add it to the website, Facebook, Twitter etc so there's certainly been lessons learned.

However, I don't accept that there has been no improvements in communication... Mistakes still do happen, of course, but we are trying to learn and that's what's important.

The issue you have at Motherwell and other football clubs is quite unique. If you were going to your local McDonalds for a meal or Comet to buy a IPod, they wouldn't be advertising a fence outside their premises before you arrive, they would just do it and you probably wouldn't think too much of it.

But we don't give the above examples a large chunk of our money every year to them do we?

Remember where a large percentage of your income comes from...

Guest 'Flow

I wasn't comparing businesses, I was comparing the heart and soul the people have for this business/club as compared to others and as such, there's a thirst and desire for knowledge that means we can't always fuel it. It’s emotive for the consumer, we understand that, but it often causes additional problems for us…

Anyway, I'll leave it at that!

Aww the best...

the whole thing was done half arsed and a total inconvenience if there that worried about fans bringing stuff into the stadium that they shouldny have then why just search random people.i seen 2 old guys probably in there late 60s get searched off some wee fud thinking hes the business cause hes wearin a security jacket

Firstly - rab, calm yer jets.

The thing is - people dislike being herded and have some random /unknown person frisk them at the best of times - that's purely human nature.

The thing is that it has never happened to the home support at our home games and additionally I cannot remember a bottle or can being thrown on the park in recent history. (a mars bar, a cup and the odd pie yes) - but nothing sinister. So folk are quite rightly wondering what has changed.

i go back to my original question - if what has happened in recent weeks is a specific solution to something - then what was the actual problem.

people will tolerate stuff like this if they are given due consideration, warned in advanced and provided with a reasonable justification.

I admit that it's really unfortunate for the club - however the reality is that we really rely on the loyalty of a relatively small number of people through the home gates week in week out. The entertainment level can be 'questionable' at times an the spectacle is being ruined by a crap pitch. One more reason for people to roll their eyes and switch off is one too many.

Folk don't like being surprised, folk don't like a change to the norm, folk don't like inconvenience, folk don't like to feel intimidated or under suspicion - to any degree.

And no matter how hard we argue that it's common sense and we should just put up with the inconvenience - it's all for the greater good etc etc etc.

People experience those feelings in that environment and are made feel uncomfortable. if people feel uncomfortable they'll avoid experiencing it.

A pre-warning and explanation from the club would lessen that.

The uneasy reaction is purely human nature and a service provider that was 'on the ball' would have predicted that.

The thing is that it has never happened to the home support at our home games and additionally I cannot remember a bottle or can being thrown on the park in recent history. (a mars bar, a cup and the odd pie yes) - but nothing sinister. So folk are quite rightly wondering what has changed.

I think this is the important part. All of the things that have been launched in recent times have been things purchased inside the ground, so if the searches are in response to these incidents, then it's a waste of time and money. If, and as I suspect is the case, it is a hoop the club feels we have to jump through to be seen to be doing something to avoid a fine/punishment then so be it.

I was outside the East Stand at 2:45, I walked an extra 20 yards than I expected to as I turned the corner from Taggarts and I got into the ground 30 seconds after I expected to after being patted down by a security guard who seemed as uneasy as I was frustrated.

Those who moan, give it a rest. It was done for a reason and the club have indicated they will advise in advance so you can neck your pint at 2:50 opposed to sipping it, leaving at 2:55 and being delayed for an extra few minutes.

Can gaag lock this crap, boo-hoo thread please?

All away fans were searched first game of the season at St Johnstone. I can see te club needs to be taking all necessary measures to stop trouble inside the ground. My only query is why the same security isn't required elsewhere in the ground. I walked past the checkpoint, then straight through the turnstyle into the DC Stand. If someone really wanted to cause trouble, wouldn't they look for theeasiest way in?