Jim O'brien

BarnsleyFCFan

Not like Well fans to harshly judge a player too quickly is it?!! :rolleyes:

Having said that he did make a slow start to his Motherwell career, but if he keeps up this level of effort and can improve his final ball, we'll have a real prospect on our hands.

Keep it up Jim.

Oh come on, last night was only his third game as a starter for Motherwell and, by all accounts, he excelled. How much quicker could he have been?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one who criticised Jim O'Brien and MM for signing him. He showed f*ck all anytime he appeared and MM was never off his case.

Having said that, his application and work rate against Hearts were terrific and a big improvement on anything he'd previously shown. Still not sure about and end product from him yet and on the basis that one swallow doesn't make a summer, I'll reserve further judgement until he has hasd a run in the team and displayed performance levels like this consistently. But well played on Wednesday Jim. Hope you maintain it.

Having said that, his application and work rate against Hearts were terrific and a big improvement on anything he'd previously shown. Still not sure about and end product from him yet and on the basis that one swallow doesn't make a summer, I'll reserve further judgement until he has hasd a run in the team and displayed performance levels like this consistently. But well played on Wednesday Jim. Hope you maintain it.

Hit the nail on the heid, Well said Grew. Why would anyone be remotely interested in taking a slice of humble pie, so far he's still not fully proved himself despite looking more promising in the last couple of games. His end product is definately the main area of his game that needs improved upon.

I agree.

O'Brien worked his socks off last night but we aren't running a sprint team. There was no deliver from him, no incisive passing, no shots on goal, no actual football basically.

Klimpl did OK but who was he playing against? Hearts were shocking last night, one of the worst teams I've seen this season or last. They were absolutely toothless and let's be honest about it he wasn't exactly stretched was he? Klimpl was comfortable because he was under no pressure whatsoever. He looked better in the midfield role than as a defender but I'll withhold judgement until he's actually given a test.

Klimpl at least did his job because Hearts were restricted to one headed chance and a long range shot but O'Brien? We did nothing offensively last night apart from the goal.

I've said it before but its all extremes on this board, everything is either superb or dismal, there is no middle or degrees of that. O'Brien showed effort (which is good) but other than that there wasn't much to write home about in what was overall a poor match.

There was plenty of football from Jim O'brien. The last time I checked running at players with the ball, running off the ball and tracking back were all part of the game. He commits defenders and pulls them out of position through his runs. Even if he doesn't get past them we should be looking to win the second ball and move into the space that he's created. I thought he did well against Hearts and think he deserves a bit of praise.

You're right we aren't running a sprint team and luckily we aren't running a football team either as judging by some peoples opinions on football we wouldn't get very far!

There was plenty of football from Jim O'brien. The last time I checked running at players with the ball, running off the ball and tracking back were all part of the game. He commits defenders and pulls them out of position through his runs. Even if he doesn't get past them we should be looking to win the second ball and move into the space that he's created. I thought he did well against Hearts and think he deserves a bit of praise.

You're right we aren't running a sprint team and luckily we aren't running a football team either as judging by some peoples opinions on football we wouldn't get very far!

Well said. If O'Brien hadn't dragged the defender off of Hughes for the first goal he would have never got the space to turn and deliver the cross.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Evening Times....

McGhee roasting saved me from the heaptransparent.gif JIM O'BRIEN has thanked Mark McGhee for saving his career...after telling him to grow up and become a team player.

The former Celtic winger was trying to win a contract in the summer when the Motherwell manager told him his game lacked maturity.

That wake-up call resulted in O'Brien putting in a more disciplined display in a pre-season friendly against Wolves.

And that helped to earn him a two-year deal. The 21-year-old, who was farmed out to Dunfermline and Dundee United, still had to wait almost five months for his first start.But he has not looked back since getting the nod for Motherwell's victory over Inverness last month.

Motherwell have taken 10 points from the four games O'Brien has started - and he set up David Clarkson's goal in Sunday's 4-0 thrashing of Dundee United with a defence-splitting, first-time pass.

"In my two loan moves, I grew up a bit," said the Republic of Ireland Under-21 international.

"I've learnt how to grow up on the pitch.

"I've become more disciplined, and that's down to the manager and his assistant Scott Leitch.

"He sat me down just before the Wolves game in pre-season and said If you continue the way you're going, then basically you are going nowhere'.

"He told me I was still playing like a little kid and had to grow up. They have both worked hard with me and I hope I've turned that corner myself."

Despite making 10 substitute appearances, O'Brien admits he is only now feeling like he is making a proper contribution to Motherwell's cause to pitch for a Uefa Cup slot.

"I feel more part of it now that I'm playing," said O'Brien.

"I came in, and obviously we got a couple of results.

"So you have got to believe you are making some sort of contribution to the team."

Publication date 21/01/09

Sounds like he's really had a good look at himself and decided its now or never. He's still young with good pace and a trick or two. Hopefully he'll continue to improve and become a `first name on the teamsheet` type player.

Good man management by McGhee.

Good post Tree, although. . . . Jim O'Brien will never be good enough for some folk on here.

They've singled him out from day one and it's got nowt to do with football.

I suspect it's the ROI / Celtic thing.

He's the same age as guys in our squad that get completely different treatment on here - because they're just young lads coming through and they get loads of lee-way and encouragement.

I say put your prejudices to one side and support the lad.

There is though. Their choices were:-

McLean - Northern Ireland or nothing

O'Brien - ROI or nothing

Commons - Scotland or nothing

McGeady - Scotland or ROI

McGeady was the only one with a real choice to make.

Why does that matter? International football should be an honour and you should play for your country of birth, if you arent good enough for them then you dont just go and play for someone else. I dont respect any one of those players above regarding the decision they made.

There is though. Their choices were:-

McLean - Northern Ireland or nothing

O'Brien - ROI or nothing

Commons - Scotland or nothing

McGeady - Scotland or ROI

McGeady was the only one with a real choice to make.

Not really. McLean played for Scotland U-17s which is why things got screwed up when he later switched to (or tried to switch to) NI. Not that a really buy into all this "traitor" rubbish. If you want to play for a country and you are eligible, then fair enough. It's the eligibility requirements that need to be changed, but that's for another thread.

I guess me and my auld man better stop supporting Scotland then! :nod:

What about all the army brats in the world (like me and my dad, Kevin Kerr etc) or those who are forced to move away from Scotland due to job commitments, say for example Darren Fletcher has a kid, he was born in Manchester and turns out to be one of the greatest footballers in the world. He shouldn't be allowed to play for Scotland despite his Auld Man doing so because his auld man was playing for one of the best clubs in the world?

Bollocks to that!

Good post Tree, although. . . . Jim O'Brien will never be good enough for some folk on here.

They've singled him out from day one and it's got nowt to do with football.

I suspect it's the ROI / Celtic thing.

He's the same age as guys in our squad that get completely different treatment on here - because they're just young lads coming through and they get loads of lee-way and encouragement.

I say put your prejudices to one side and support the lad.

I think you're completely blowing this out of proportion.

As soon as he has started to show promise pretty much everyone has been behind him. He even got a standing ovation at the Inverness game!

I think you would be one of few to make that link.

I think you're completely blowing this out of proportion.

As soon as he has started to show promise pretty much everyone has been behind him. He even got a standing ovation at the Inverness game!

I think you would be one of few to make that link.

The unfortunate thing about the situation is that things like that are used as an excuse by the 'apologists' for people not liking a particular player! Be it a religious accusation or a country accusation! These days in Scotland, you are not allowed to dislike an Irishman, or anything Irish or you are 'bigotted!' This rule is no longer applicable when it comes to disliking a certain Spaniard though!

In my opinion (for what it's worth) a Scottish footballer electing not to play for Scotland is a scumbag!

Jim O'Brien is not as much a Scumbag as McGeady and McCarthy as I dont think he'd ever be good enough to play for us, so fair do's that he looks for alternative international options.

It really peaves me when you get labelled a bigot, etc for having a dislike for McGeady, McCarthy or any Scot that ever turns out for England! Is there something wrong having an affinity to our country and disliking anyone who does us harm?

I must admit I am one of those who dislikes Jim O'Brien for playing fro RoI because he is Scottish.........does that make me a bigot???

If it does then fcuk it, thats the way I feel, anybody who turns their back on my country is a t1t, IMO. In my eyes he is in the same category as McGeady and McCarthy in that respect.

I must admit though, he is looking better by the game (although that wouldnt be hard as he has been atrocious at times) but I can't understand the clamour to give him standing ovations and MOTM awards when they haven't been deserved.

Why does that matter? International football should be an honour and you should play for your country of birth, if you arent good enough for them then you dont just go and play for someone else. I dont respect any one of those players above regarding the decision they made.

Why not? I play amateur football and support a professional football team. If the professional football team I support didn't want me but another one did I'd go and play for them. I wouldn't be as passionate playing for them but I'd do it just to experience what it was like.

Does that make me a traitor?

Why not? I play amateur football and support a professional football team. If the professional football team I support didn't want me but another one did I'd go and play for them. I wouldn't be as passionate playing for them but I'd do it just to experience what it was like.

Does that make me a traitor?

Naw, because International football and club football differ.

Club football is a job and you get paid to do it, International football is an honour in which you are selected in a squad of the best football players from your country to represent the whole nation, granted you get some sort of payment but thats not what its about. Your club is a choice (and you have made the right one :ph34r: ), while your country shouldn't be.

If Jim O'Brien wasnt a football player I bet you he'd be one of those cretins that follow Cellic draped in the tri-colour of Ireland singing songs about potatoes and the 'old country', thats why I struggle to take to him.

If Jim O'Brien wasnt a football player I bet you he'd be one of those cretins that follow Cellic draped in the tri-colour of Ireland singing songs about potatoes and the 'old country', thats why I struggle to take to him.

So - even though - yer getting a bit bent out of shape a about it - you're admitting that I am right after all. You're not alone though.

Brian McLean's OK though isn't he? :lol::ph34r:

I've never really been able to understand this hatred towards guys who, for whatever reason, end up playing international football for another country.

McGeady I hate, but mainly because he's a moanin faced wee pr!ck, not because he chose to play for Ireland. I do though find it hard to understand why a young scottish lad with two scottish parents would choose to play for another country given that choice.

I can see the difference and why somebody like him, who was probably good enough to have the choice to play for his OWN country or another, gets more abuse than guys who would never have that choice, as they were not good enough to play for the country of their birth. But at the end of the day thats his choice so F*ck him.

I don't remember anybody within the 'Well support having any ill feeling toward certian other Scottish, ROI internationals to grace the Claret and Amber, Owen Coyle and more notably Tommy Coyne m'lord.