Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

Reybolds, 4 year deal with Sheffield W £150,000

Haven't seen this amount quoted anywhere yet. Where you get this info, Kylie?

Financially it'll be a good move for Mark, career wise it could be shite. Despite having a decent budget, I can see Wednesday being in for a prolonged stay in League 1.

Spot on. Bit of a bind financially as well are they not. To think some (including me) were debating whether he would go to the EPL instead of the Championship and in the end he landed in League 1. Surprised a Championship side wasn't interested.

Sad to see him go. More sad to hear that McCall won't get a sniff of ANY of the transfer money. Let us hope the wages of Gow, Blackman, Fitpatrick, and, Reynolds stretch far.

Anyone else think this might not be the last?

Would Reynolds have been too old for us not to get any compensation at the end of the season?

Disappointing that McCall says that he won't get to spend any of the Reynolds money. I know belts need to be tightened but we have shown fuck all ambition since Gannon was punted.

Ambition requires money - something we don't have........and what little we have has been spent on the pitch.

Get used to it, it's the way of Scottish football for the foreseeable future and Motherwell are going to be feeding at the lower end of things for a long time.

A fine line between showing ambition and gambling with the club's future (ala Killie) but I DO agree the club should be trying to retain it's current position. It just doesn't seem to be able to at the moment. Not concerned for this season. Accies and St Mirren ARE worse than us but we do need to be careful for next season. The squad needs to see some investment in the summer or we could be relying on another crap St Mirren or unprepared Dunfermline/Raith Rovers.

On another note I thought Rangers and Dun Utd's parks looked poor midweek. I was very surprised to see, imo, that come the game today ours was worse than both of them.

Just seen the 'highlight' of the game (Randolph's save from Rooney) on SSN and the Cooper End of the pitch looks woeful from the perspective of the lofty TV cameras. God knows what nick it will be in come April.

as McCall has said he wont see the transfer monies :D

Yes but he'll get the Reynolds wages. This is where the test lies for McCall(and any future Motherwell managers), what can he do with this wage and other wages who have left recently.

In this day & age, MFC will never buy a player for £££'s and to be honest we shouldn't need too. Plenty of Bosmans and loan deals out there to be had.

you are right about a fine line, however, with that many individuals stating they are on the verge of turning their back on the club, can the club afford not to show even the slightest bit of ambition?

As for the pitch, are the drains goosed again?

Re Transfer Monies, noone expects us to buy anyone, but it would have been nice to use part of the monies to fund another player in addition to the player on reynolds wages. Thought that was the whole idea of trying to get rid of Reynolds pronto.

I think 150 grand is fine. I wish Reynolds well but i was never a big fan of his tbh. What Stuart McCall meant with he wont see any of the transfer money is the way we've been for 10 seasons now. No Scottish club outwith the Mould Firm will ever pay a transfer fee now but we can still use the money to bring in decent players on reasonable wages. Lets see who Stuart McCall gets in before we judge. In my opinion all 4 players that have left are well replaceable with better players, :wallbash: . By the way may i recommend to free another wage in Ross Forbes...No way is he going to be a good player he cant even run. :D

Some interesting quotes from SM on the official site;

"If you’re asking me can I replace Mark for what he was, at this stage of the season? Probably not. But I’ll be doing my best."

"There are a couple of things I feel close to but then I look at the television and they have moved to the Championship".

McCall, who saw Keith Lasley limp off with a hamstring problem, did not want to promise new signings before the visit of Hibernian next Saturday but he is working to bring in a striker, left winger and defender. “But I’m very hopeful we’ll have a couple of fresh faces in before next week.”

McCall has got an impossible job if you ask me. We've lost 4 players from a squad, where we could ill afford to lose anyone. Yes, those that left had questionable ability, but trying to replace them at this stage of the season is difficult, as there wont be that many free transfers available. The chances are his wages budget is less than what Brown had to deal with.

starting already, McCall hopeful of a player or two before today - didnt happen, We will have 2 faces for the Hibs game - now its changed to he "hopes" to have them in, talking about all these guys he is trying to get but is losing out on. And now weve lost 4 players from the smallest squad in the SPL permanently and Lasley has an injury,we`ll be lucky to get a sevens team out next week the way its going

you are right about a fine line, however, with that many individuals stating they are on the verge of turning their back on the club, can the club afford not to show even the slightest bit of ambition?

As for the pitch, are the drains goosed again?

Have I missed something, who's on the verge of turning their backs on us?

If the drains were gone the game would have been off. Can't expect the pitch to be like a bowling green after the weather we've had, pretty good considering I thought.

This is now the big test for McCall. Any new manager likes to put his stamp on the team. When he came in he was told he would have to move players out before he could get new ones in. He’s now moved on four players. As far as I’m concerned he stands or falls with who he brings in. Here’s hoping he can spot a player like Gannon and can motivate them like Brown and Knox.

This is now the big test for McCall. Any new manager likes to put his stamp on the team. When he came in he was told he would have to move players out before he could get new ones in. He’s now moved on four players. As far as I’m concerned he stands or falls with who he brings in. Here’s hoping he can spot a player like Gannon and can motivate them like Brown and Knox.

Nonsense. You cannot judge McCall on the players he brings in during the January window. The summer transfer window is where you can judge McCall on his signings.

Some had their knifes out the second he was appointed.

Motherwell cannot pay fees, and with more and more teams paying fees for month loans (never mind half season) it is going to get alot harder to sign players. The club's re-building (like it did under Butcher, Malpas, McGhee, Gannon and Brown) will come in the summer. That is where the manager should be able to put "his stamp" on the team.

Nonsense. You cannot judge McCall on the players he brings in during the January window. The summer transfer window is where you can judge McCall on his signings.

Why not, does the January transfer window not count? If Stuart McCall brings in 3 or 4 players who improve us and kickstart our season then should we just dismiss their success and wait until the summer? No is the answer. I'm pretty sure McCall had players on his radar from his last job and has some decent contacts down South.

If he brings in players who help kickstart our season then he will get the plaudits he deserves, if he signs players who are shite then he can fully expect critics. This month may well be a decent indicator of how good his contacts are in England.