Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

No, no...but...how can that be???

Surely McCall just clicks on "transfer market", puts a wee tick beside all the players he wants, and then waits for a wee news reel to report which ones are coming, and then he just confirms the best ones? :lol:

What, you mean.....it's not like that??

I was actually fairly excited last night, and waking up this morning, that we might have brought a couple of folk in. But then, I actually thought about it for a second. Why is that we feel we need to bring in players, just because the transfer window is open?

I'm not for a second saying that there aren't areas of the team we could do with strengthening - a striker and a right back would have been my preference - but how do we know that this strengthening couldn't come from within the team itself? In the Admin Era, folk like Pearo, Faddy etc were able to break through, simply because they had to - the club didn't have the resources to bring folk in to plug the gaps. In all honesty I don't think the current situation is all that much different - OK, we're not in administration, but we still don't have the means to bring in some hotly tipped youngster from the lower leagues, develop them, and then sell them on.

What we need is for the kids to be given the opportunity to show us what they've been doing week in, week out for the U-19s. I'd much rather bring a few of them through than use the minimal resources we've got to bring in some haddy just to keep folk happy.

If we get an injury to Sutton or Murphy are any off our young strikers good enough or ready to be thrown in. I spoke to a Dumbarton fan who say Smith was pretty poor for them. He doesn't look ready to me to start in an SPL game. Of course we have the enigma that is Casagolda and McHughis out for 6wks. A signing till the end of the season to supplement our strikers was a must in my opinion and didn't materialise.

All fair in saying play the kids. But what if they aren't ready and we knock their development back. For every McFadden, McCulloch and Clarkson there is a Stevie Bryce or Alex Burns.

If we get an injury to Sutton or Murphy are any off our young strikers good enough or ready to be thrown in. I spoke to a Dumbarton fan who say Smith was pretty poor for them. He doesn't look ready to me to start in an SPL game. Of course we have the enigma that is Casagolda and McHughis out for 6wks. A signing till the end of the season to supplement our strikers was a must in my opinion and didn't materialise.

All fair in saying play the kids. But what if they aren't ready and we knock their development back. For every McFadden, McCulloch and Clarkson there is a Stevie Bryce or Alex Burns.

Bang on the money.

Any 'kid' that is close to being ready for first team football will undoubtedly get their chance in the SPL.

What we needed was a wee bit of experience and depth to help guide the young ones that are settling into the team just now.

Bearing in mind as well how tough a time Clarkson had as well when he was younger. Its a very fair point. Coupled with the fact that we are playing kids.

Clarkson first season he was a revelation, looked outstanding to begin with but declined after Butch tried to play an 18yr old as a lone striker and ran him completely into the ground and when he was fucked we signed McDonald and Hamilton and he hardly got a look in for ages. Was physically and mentally fucked and took him time to recover.

I'm sorry but I don't want that for Smith, Erwin, Pollock et al. They need time to bed in and develop. They can't be thrown right in. Defenders are a slightly diff kettle of fish due to position they play. Maybe slightly easier as no pressure to score and win games. Strikers live and die bye goals scored.

At the moment our squad is half decent in every area. When I say half decent I mean enough to get by on and get us to the end of the season. I don't think we have the squad to really push for 4th/5th.

Goalie

We're never going to have more than 2 keepers, and paying a backup decent money isn't going to happen, so we have to settle for Hollis there and hope Randy doesn't get injured.

Defence

At right back we have Saunders, Hately, Page, and Charalambous (although he might be shite) so we are covered there.

At left back we have Hammell and Gunning, with Page at a push as I'm sure he's covered there.

In the middle there's Craigan, Hutch, Page, Gunning, Saunders, Charalambous?

Midfield

We only have one natural left sided player in Jones, with Murphy as cover there. On the right we have Humphrey and possibly Hately as cover. I'm not sure if this is Pollock's position.

For centre mid there's Lasley, Jennings, Forbes, Hately and Meechan. Keeping Las and Jenno fit is the key to our season avoiding injury and suspension.

Forwards

Sutton, Murphy, Casagolda and Mchugh (if fit), possibly Jones?

I don't know any of the other youngsters and may have missed a couple. What the above shows to me is that we have a good enough 1st XI, but two injuries would really test us. The core of Randolph, Craggs, Las, Jenno and Sutton are really important to us and hopefully their decent injury record to date will serve us well for the next five months or so. My worry is that there doesn't seem to be anyone doing anything to push a regular out of the side. Page, Forbes and Casagolda have all been OK when used as cover or subs, but they haven't done anything to force the managers hand.

Clarkson first season he was a revelation, looked outstanding to begin with but declined after Butch tried to play an 18yr old as a lone striker and ran him completely into the ground and when he was fucked we signed McDonald and Hamilton and he hardly got a look in for ages. Was physically and mentally fucked and took him time to recover.

I'm sorry but I don't want that for Smith, Erwin, Pollock et al. They need time to bed in and develop. They can't be thrown right in. Defenders are a slightly diff kettle of fish due to position they play. Maybe slightly easier as no pressure to score and win games. Strikers live and die bye goals scored.

Exactly. Defenders and midfielders can look a bit dodgy and get away with it a bit more. Saunders has made mistakes, has been punished and is learning from it. As well as that other players can pick up the slack a bit and help cover. A striker who isn't scoring ends up getting pelters a lot quicker, whatever else the put in.

I see we've kinda en masse decided that Charalambous is shite.

This may or may not be the case - I'm not arguing that either way.

What I'd point out is that he wasn't brought in for the 1st Team

Then why was he brought in? He's not some youngster that needs to learn the game, he's 22 years old in a few months time.

He was signed for us to take a longer look at him, on a one year deal with the option to extend it. This gives both parties the chance to see if things will work out. Hately and Saunders have been available all season, so this guy hasn't had a look in, but chances are we'll see him at some point this year when injuries and suspensions kick in.

Also, we need a squad, not just eleven players. So not everyone is going to get a game all of the time.

Then why was he brought in? He's not some youngster that needs to learn the game, he's 22 years old in a few months time.

From Gordon Young's interview:

"He played against St Johnstone reserves, Hearts reserves and Airdrie and did well enough for Craig and (assistant) Archie (Knox) to agree that he was a player who had something we could develop.

"He's not the finished article, he may take some time before being considered for the first-team but he has a one year contract with the option of an extension.

I'm not seeing many players at 22 years old who are still developing in this day & age to be honest. I initially thought he was 18 or 19 years old.

Still, I hope he does do something with the club. I reckon he'll be off without much fanfare in a year or so though.

I'm not seeing many players at 22 years old who are still developing in this day & age to be honest. I initially thought he was 18 or 19 years old.
Really? You think all our youngsters will be the finished article by the time they hit 21?

Really? You think all our youngsters will be the finished article by the time they hit 21?

No, I don't think they are the finished article, but I would imagine that if they are any good they will probably be seeing some first team action here & there by the time they hit 22 years old.

If they aren't even in the picture at that age, then I don't think they'll make any real impact.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong though.

This Charalambous scenario's a funny one. Frankly it doesn't look like he's done anythin worthwhile and he's 22! Why the feck would anyone be taken over to live in scotland to play reserve team football at 22!

So, a wacky conspiracy has came to me. I think he was under pressure by his da to stick in the army. Maybe he hoped to get outa his army conscription early..or somethin. So he convinces brown to take him. Auld Broon said aye awryt, come to Scotland. There's yer answer. :nod:

This Charalambous scenario's a funny one. Frankly it doesn't look like he's done anythin worthwhile and he's 22! Why the feck would anyone be taken over to live in scotland to play reserve team football at 22!

So, a wacky conspiracy has came to me. I think he was under pressure by his da to stick in the army. Maybe he hoped to get outa his army conscription early..or somethin. So he convinces brown to take him. Auld Broon said aye awryt, come to Scotland. There's yer answer. :nod:

What reserve team football? we have no league haha

So, a wacky conspiracy has came to me. I think he was under pressure by his da to stick in the army. Maybe he hoped to get outa his army conscription early..or somethin. So he convinces brown to take him. Auld Broon said aye awryt, come to Scotland. There's yer answer. :lol:

the truth to the charlembous situation is that he is allegedy a horrendous football player, and no one at the club knows why he was signed in the first place!