Stv News Report The Well Might Be On The Move

delboy

Been discussed before on another thread, however for budget bucks you can get innovative and cutting edge architecture avoiding the legobrick efforts. The construction industry is on its behind at present and many young and exciting firms are actively touting for work.

Problem with Ravenscraig being a Brownfield site is you don't want to be going digging too deep or exposing too much topsoil.

I'm a fan of the Wall stadium currently under construction in the middle east (I think it was quoted at USD $13m). Innovative as its a landmark building that acts as a draw and spin-off to the surrounding area (in much the same way the Falkirk wheel has evolved). A building such as this would attract additional home and away support for the novelty factor (whither it would sustain it over time I don't know however I would suggest the home support would increase a little with improved facilities).

It is encircled by a massive dome because in a country where 45deg is a cool day you would look for underground parking. We don't necessarily need that feature (and associated costs) however combining it with a shopping centre could help sway the council planners and bank manager in one swoop.

Granted our labour costs and some materials would be higher, however we don't need all the features and finishes. Cleverly budgeted we could move modestly and laugh at a number of other teams in the SPL who opted for the Barr ACME stadia.

I can't see Boyle exhibiting a strong desire to incur extra costs nor do I see us earning a huge amount for the FP site, local authority support and cash or central government help. Therefore I think we'll be a FP for the next 5 years at least.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main thing with Easter Road, there is plenty of room for them to expand the current stadium. I don't see this room at Fir Park.

No land to expand the stadium means no land to sell to a developer to pay for a new stadium.

Someone said earlier the land amounts to 7 acres. If you think selling 7 acres is going cover even half the cost of a new stadium then Stevie Wonder just passed by a second time.

I've read that the average price per acre in Scotland is £300,000. Do the math.

Unless someone comes in who is willing to put millions into a new stadium we would end up with a cheap Lego aberration and maybe even a two or three sided one at that.

No land to expand the stadium means no land to sell to a developer to pay for a new stadium.

:evilgrin: Eh? Take your time thinking that one up? There would be 7 acres as quoted elsewhere would there not? The ideal of the developer (as I understood it) was to obtain the land Fir Park is on to open up the development to the south as current access to/from Windmillhill Street along Knowetop Avenue and Dalziel Drive is restrictive to say the least.

Most understand, any likely sale of Fir Park to fund a new stadium not adding up (there, Stevie Wonder seen that on his third drive-by), suggesting, the club are likely to be looking at various partnerships, most likely community.

Methinks some need to get with the programme, the devil will be going to work in his ice skates before any redevelopment begins at our current base...

The more I think about it, the more I'd love to see a redevelopment of Fir Park. I know it'd never happen, but getting a new, steeper single tiered east, and a new Po'D with office space/shop space underneath would be cracking.

Pipe dream though.

Someone said earlier the land amounts to 7 acres. If you think selling 7 acres is going cover even half the cost of a new stadium then Stevie Wonder just passed by a second time.

Unless someone comes in who is willing to put millions into a new stadium we would end up with a cheap Lego aberration and maybe even a two or three sided one at that.

How did St Mirren do it then and wipe out their debt with the surplus? I would have thought the land they owned was smaller that Motherwell's.

Your also using the average price per acre, that takes into account all the agricultural land and even hill land which would account for the majority of the acreage sold but would be lucky to fetch anywhere near £10k an acre.

There is land for sale in Wishaw at the moment which relates to £750,000 per acre and 8 acres for sale in Uddingston for £6m. The land at Fir Park would probably be worth more than both these.

How did St Mirren do it then and wipe out their debt with the surplus? I would have thought the land they owned was smaller that Motherwell's.

Luck! Tesco purchased with a view to constructing a superstore, ended up they bought the land for their property portfolio as they built elsewhere in the area.

have to agree with the last bit mate, its all very well taking about 'wall' stadiums and people designing their own grounds on an art programme and talk of consulting with fan groups. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. If or when we move we are more likely to end up with two stands as per accies, we've not much, if any more of a crowd than them and their stadium is doing them fine. Why would Motherwell put ourselfs in too money problems building big fancy dream stadiums when a wee two stand ground would more than do the job?

Luck! Tesco purchased with a view to constructing a superstore, ended up they bought the land for their property portfolio as they built elsewhere in the area.

i and we're no gonnae get a morrisons/tesco buying it cos they are never going to build a supermarket there and even if they thought about it they would get even more complaints than extending the pod would.it would almost certainly be houses and there's only room for 30-40 at most so they're not gonnae pay big for that.

Don't think anybody said they would :P ? Most up there would have you believe they shop in Marks and Spencers anyroads...

As mentioned before, would still take an act of local government/parliament to switch land uses. Greased palms at the Civic Centre? Not uncommon :P

30 to 40 dwellings at most? they're not gonnae pay big for that? I'll bow to your superior knowledge. An average price per acre was stated without consideration of other factors. A little research shows figures in excess of that claimed for areas of similar size, suggesting we may command a larger sale price too.

Too many derivatives for the guessing of calculations, eg, current financial climate and developer requirement. I'm happy the board have stuck their head above the parapet and at least investigating avenues for change.

i and we're no gonnae get a morrisons/tesco buying it cos they are never going to build a supermarket there and even if they thought about it they would get even more complaints than extending the pod would.it would almost certainly be houses and there's only room for 30-40 at most so they're not gonnae pay big for that.

Go to love guesses, I'm currently working on a project with 13 houses per acre. Adding flats would increase the density even more, so at 7 acres a hundred units is easily possible.

Go to love guesses, I'm currently working on a project with 13 houses per acre. Adding flats would increase the density even more, so at 7 acres a hundred units is easily possible.

with the right developer you could get HUNDREDS of flats/apartments at Fir Park. Barrat had a planning ap for 300 flats at the old bus depot in Motherwell,although it was turned down as the planners felt it was too concentrated that was on a site of only 2 or 3 acres. Arsenal built the Highbury Square development at their old ground, a 2 acre garden where the pitch used to be then 4 blocks of apartments where the stands were and managed 711 Units on a space on a par or maybe slightly bigger than ours.

With the prices for similar areas of land in the local area and the potential capacity for flats in the Fir Park footprint you`d be looking at around the £5m - £7m mark, prob closer to the £5m mark due to the current climate. But in this climate,who`d want to buy it?

i ok,i was basing that guess on the houses being detached or semis so obviously you could get a lot more if it was flats. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Eh? Take your time thinking that one up? There would be 7 acres as quoted elsewhere would there not? The ideal of the developer (as I understood it) was to obtain the land Fir Park is on to open up the development to the south as current access to/from Windmillhill Street along Knowetop Avenue and Dalziel Drive is restrictive to say the least.

:lol: Do you take everything literally?

Obviously what I meant is the fact that there isn't a lot of room for expansion on our current site means if we did sell up there isn't a lot of land to sell.

one of the reasons we havent moved already is the current housing market because of the econmic climate we wont get as much for the land as we would have got a few years ago, hence the reason motherwell are waiting until the market picks up so we will just have to wait and see what develops in the future

:lol: Do you take everything literally?

Obviously what I meant is the fact that there isn't a lot of room for expansion on our current site means if we did sell up there isn't a lot of land to sell.

literally? In a literal manner; word for word: so,

:rolleyes: Aye, obviously... not.

I knew I should have stuck in at school and not played truant. Pesky remedial classes, didn't teach me about hyperbole.